Can I get your Advice?

Not to sound like a total nerd but I combine track and soccer practices by dropping soccer balls from the stadium top seats over the side down to DD...or by the stairs down. Control is everything. From that height and speed when she can pancake it or laces down it's beautiful. It's also how she likes to be warmed up.

Two thoughts here.

One is first touch.. a good first touch buys you time and space. Forget the trainers and coaches. They won't teach it. You want your son or daughter to have a good first touch..? Just hurl soccer balls at them from the time they're small. And I mean really chuck those balls fast and hard high and low. Most kids stick out their leg or jump to head.. that doesn't work, the ball will just ricochet and bounce farther away. A good first touch is a catch really. Like when a baseball hits the glove and you bring your glove back to absorb the impact. So have your son or daughter to catch with their feet, and never head the ball when you can CATCH with your chest. But I'm telling you.. screw dribbling around a million cones all day or how many juggles you can do. Drop that ball out of the sky a hundred feet and develop the CATCH.. first touch and OMG everything else will follow.

Second is soccer I.Q. and you can't teach that. Some people have and some just don't get it.
I agree that you cannot teach soccer I.Q. You either have it or not. My son had a teammate that the coach was really excited about because he had blazing speed. (Eventually a D1 track star). The problem was that he did not know what to do with the ball when he got it and was always easy to get offsides despite the coach trying to pound every scenario into his head.

I also agree about first touch. I never allowed my kids to head the ball and that was one of the best soccer decisions we made.

Not to sound like a total nerd but I combine track and soccer practices by dropping soccer balls from the stadium top seats over the side down to DD...or by the stairs down. Control is everything. From that height and speed when she can pancake it or laces down it's beautiful. It's also how she likes to be warmed up.
I'm in total agreement with Strker

I agree that you cannot teach soccer I.Q. You either have it or not. My son had a teammate that the coach was really excited about because he had blazing speed. (Eventually a D1 track star). The problem was that he did not know what to do with the ball when he got it and was always easy to get offsides despite the coach trying to pound every scenario into his head.

I also agree about first touch. I never allowed my kids to head the ball and that was one of the best soccer decisions we made.
Im also in agreement with Fact 100%

I disagree with never - there are times when heading is the right move - or example - saving a shot on goal, making or setting up a shot on goal, when your opponent is attempting to head the ball - but there are many times when it is better to bring the ball to the ground and keep it than just bouncing it back to the opponents.

I disagree with never - there are times when heading is the right move - or example - saving a shot on goal, making or setting up a shot on goal, when your opponent is attempting to head the ball - but there are many times when it is better to bring the ball to the ground and keep it than just bouncing it back to the opponents.
Ok never say never. As they got older there were a few times that they headed the ball in what they considered a very important game and where the header changed the outcome, or where someone they thought was important was watching the game. To me it was never that important.

Ok never say never. As they got older there were a few times that they headed the ball in what they considered a very important game and where the header changed the outcome, or where someone they thought was important was watching the game. To me it was never that important.

When kids first learn to head the ball, they seem to put it into action every chance they get.

When kids first learn to head the ball, they seem to put it into action every chance they get.
That's kids with a lack of self control or low Soccer IQ.

The amount of headers I see in mid-level games today is ridiculous.

How often do you guys train on the machine?

A new center just opened up down the street from us and they offer group TOCA sessions for $25 on specific days

I think there are cheaper nights than that. Give them a call, set some things up. They have been great.
I have to say though like I said a cheap way is to go to a stadium and drop some balls. It's fun and costs zero- use the stadium steps, back wall etc.
You can replicate it a lot.
I try to save dollars when I can!

I think there are cheaper nights than that. Give them a call, set some things up. They have been great.
I have to say though like I said a cheap way is to go to a stadium and drop some balls. It's fun and costs zero- use the stadium steps, back wall etc.
You can replicate it a lot.
I try to save dollars when I can!
What are you paying in your area per session?

Why would I joke about throwing soccer balls at my kid? Do soccerballs not come flying at your kid in games? It's soccer people.. balls get kicked and they get kicked hard and fast.. look it's only my advice. If you all think I'm a joke because you think I'm rough by hurling balls at my kids then the real joke is on you. Your child is never gonna progress in this sport if you roll balls softly at him or her. Good luck cuddling your children. Maybe they will make it to the national team one day.

There is literally no way your serious? So I'm going to laugh with you as we are all falling for your off the wall humor :confused:
I'm sure, actually I am positive there are freaks out there that do crazy stuff like that! Crazzzzy

Back