Can I get your Advice?

The reason I'm writing is because I'm about to put together a new series of improving your soccer game tips. I've been a member for not too long now and have read many passionate soccer lover's posts and I am wondering when it comes to improving your soccer game, what’s the single biggest challenge that you’ve been struggling with?

The reason I'm writing is because I'm about to put together a new series of improving your soccer game tips. I've been a member for not too long now and have read many passionate soccer lover's posts and I am wondering when it comes to improving your soccer game, what’s the single biggest challenge that you’ve been struggling with?

You would have to ask my kids.

I agree with (LA:)) chargerfan saying ask players.

That said, most kids probably won't tell you that managing their parents maybe one of the biggest obstacles.

After seeing my older kid age out this year and younger now U16, from U6 days, three key things jump out at me. I have rarely seen a player that can do these three things.

1) 1st touch on the ball, especially in traffic/crowded small space, regardless of how the ball gets there (e.g., on the ground, in the air, hard or easy). Vast majority of turnover or missed opportunity occurs because the touch is poor. Its a vital part of being technical player.

2) movement without the ball for most player is pedestrian and average. It a team sport and movement without the ball can be vital to the success of the game. Some are design to drag the defender with you to create space for someone else, or increase probability of successful pass, or simply making a run at the right time and the angle for attacking or defending.

3) Mental toughness and smart field awareness. Its all psychological and soccer IQ.

I think we focus too much on shooting and passing and just pressuring for the sake of pressuring the opponent. Just playing brut force method and not playing really smart.

Soccer IQ is probably the biggest challenge with most kids under the age of 12. Kids can have great footwork and speed but Soccer IQ /movement off ball are difficult to teach. Would love to see short videos on how to improve Soccer IQ. Our kids will not sit down and watch soccer every other day on TV.

Teach the kids to love the game and to play for the love of the game, teach them to play for themselves and to always be honest with the coaches and parents on what they truly want out of soccer. Set up a side class for parents and give them the reality of the negative impact youth sports can have on little kids if the parents & coaches are freeking IDIOTS about the sport!!
Teach families to play for FUN FIRST and make sure everyone involved is having more fun than NOT. Teach the parents how to deal with the coaches and clubs as they push families for more time and money, give the families reality based expectations on how to handle the path to college ball. BE HONEST don't sell them a line of BS!

High balls, bouncing balls, preparing for balls that come all the way through the pack on a corner kick, keepers wandering out of the PA with the ball in hand, when not to head the ball ...

Teach the kids to love the game and to play for the love of the game, teach them to play for themselves and to always be honest with the coaches and parents on what they truly want out of soccer. Set up a side class for parents and give them the reality of the negative impact youth sports can have on little kids if the parents & coaches are freeking IDIOTS about the sport!!
Teach families to play for FUN FIRST and make sure everyone involved is having more fun than NOT. Teach the parents how to deal with the coaches and clubs as they push families for more time and money, give the families reality based expectations on how to handle the path to college ball. BE HONEST don't sell them a line of BS!

This is just so true. My favorite is when coaches want them to have the relationship with them not the parents. Uh they are 11! No. Parents give up way too much control and trust to people who are not invested. Parents argue more with teachers at schools than they do with coaches who spend just about the same time and are held to little in terms of accountability, behaviors and emotional development of their children. The lives I have seen ruined or marred by youth coaches in a short time are in the hundreds and that is a major issue in youth sports.
This is a business and you should treat it as such with zero emotion.
There should be a separate marketing and navigating pitfalls class.

Soccer IQ is probably the biggest challenge with most kids under the age of 12. Kids can have great footwork and speed but Soccer IQ /movement off ball are difficult to teach. Would love to see short videos on how to improve Soccer IQ. Our kids will not sit down and watch soccer every other day on TV.

I appreciate your feedback.

Sorry to hear that Soccer IQ is a big challenge for U12.

Sandshark thanks for sharing!

You opened my eyes to something different.

That’s really interesting. I agree with you that soccer should be played for fun in the early stages.

Sandshark thanks for sharing!

You opened my eyes to something different.

That’s really interesting. I agree with you that soccer should be played for fun in the early stages.

Soccer or any sport @ any age should always be played for fun until your getting paid - then it should be a fun job!

Is your kid "playing soccer" or "working soccer".
Some people make a designation between "rec" and "competitive" sports.
Even at the lowest levels of rec sports kids are still "competing".
And at the highest levels of any sport you aren't getting paid to do it is "recreational".

Two thoughts here.

One is first touch.. a good first touch buys you time and space. Forget the trainers and coaches. They won't teach it. You want your son or daughter to have a good first touch..? Just hurl soccer balls at them from the time they're small. And I mean really chuck those balls fast and hard high and low. Most kids stick out their leg or jump to head.. that doesn't work, the ball will just ricochet and bounce farther away. A good first touch is a catch really. Like when a baseball hits the glove and you bring your glove back to absorb the impact. So have your son or daughter to catch with their feet, and never head the ball when you can CATCH with your chest. But I'm telling you.. screw dribbling around a million cones all day or how many juggles you can do. Drop that ball out of the sky a hundred feet and develop the CATCH.. first touch and OMG everything else will follow.

Second is soccer I.Q. and you can't teach that. Some people have and some just don't get it.

You should make them kick a bowling ball to get really strong. Maybe a basketball to start and build up to a bowling ball.
And to teach quickness, throw wrenches at them. Teach them to dip, duck, dive and dodge. If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

Alright to timbuck where and what team is your kid on?? You tell me yours and I'll tell you mine smart ass?[/QUOTE
You should make them kick a bowling ball to get really strong. Maybe a basketball to start and build up to a bowling ball.
And to teach quickness, throw wrenches at them. Teach them to dip, duck, dive and dodge. If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
well?

Why would this guy tell you where and what team his DD is on? What could possibly be the reason you want that info? What good could come from you having that info?

You were joking on the other post about hurling balls @ your kid right?

Why would I joke about throwing soccer balls at my kid? Do soccerballs not come flying at your kid in games? It's soccer people.. balls get kicked and they get kicked hard and fast.. look it's only my advice. If you all think I'm a joke because you think I'm rough by hurling balls at my kids then the real joke is on you. Your child is never gonna progress in this sport if you roll balls softly at him or her. Good luck cuddling your children. Maybe they will make it to the national team one day.

Back