Can a flight 2 player be scouted by an academy

For a goalie, is it better for them to be on an academy or very good top tier team, or to play on a not so great team? If the teams have great coaching, would the keeper develop more with the lower team, where he'd get lots of action and need to really help organize the defense? Or is it better to play with a team that has a great defense and the keeper sees little action- but the quality of shots is high and speed of play faster? U13-14 level.
Well I can give you my daughter's experience that her biggest years of improvements in goal came playing on teams that were "lesser" ranked or lower tier for exactly the reasons you mentioned. The first year she was bumped up to the top team, she actually had one of her worst years of development because she would only see a couple of shots a game and the coach did not play the ball out of the back (many of the top winning A teams play kickball because they have the best athletes anyway). There just wasn't much for her to do, and when the shots finally came her way, she was far less confident and definitely not in rhythm. My theory is that around 16 it might become more important to be a keeper on a great team, but while the kid is still developing physically, being a great keeper on a decent team is a pretty good deal and will also help build confidence because the team will really appreciate him. Side note: it is ok to have your keeper play on a team that has a weak defense, but we found it was awful to play on a team that couldn't score. It's more ideal for keeper development to play with a team that can make up for any mistakes he makes by scoring once in a while. If the team can't score, every goal he lets in will feel like death. Just my .02.

Well I can give you my daughter's experience that her biggest years of improvements in goal came playing on teams that were "lesser" ranked or lower tier for exactly the reasons you mentioned. The first year she was bumped up to the top team, she actually had one of her worst years of development because she would only see a couple of shots a game and the coach did not play the ball out of the back (many of the top winning A teams play kickball because they have the best athletes anyway). There just wasn't much for her to do, and when the shots finally came her way, she was far less confident and definitely not in rhythm. My theory is that around 16 it might become more important to be a keeper on a great team, but while the kid is still developing physically, being a great keeper on a decent team is a pretty good deal and will also help build confidence because the team will really appreciate him. Side note: it is ok to have your keeper play on a team that has a weak defense, but we found it was awful to play on a team that couldn't score. It's more ideal for keeper development to play with a team that can make up for any mistakes he makes by scoring once in a while. If the team can't score, every goal he lets in will feel like death. Just my .02.

This is my rationalization and experience with my 03 GK's situation (13 yr old, 2 years at GK, 5'8"). He loves his coach who is a GK coach as well. Likes the GK training and his teammates, but predominately plays on the B team both in the field (3rd best field player) and as GK, but get's moved up to the A and 02 B team from time to time to play GK (SCDSL). The boy takes something like 20 shots on goal per game and typically will give up 2-3 goals (most point-blank ... coming from in the box because his defenders are Rec level players that can't clear if their lives depended on it). On the one hand, he is has progressed significantly from last year (steals ground, gets above the bar, punches well on corners, etc), on the other hand he as zero trust in his defensive line so adjusts his tactics and play style knowing he has no support (not ideal). The unfortunate problem for this team is there is no speed and they typically get 1 to 2 shots on goal that have a chance (not counting the 3 to 4 from 30 yards out). Its only when they have the 04' Academy players "club passed" up do they score.

It can be demoralizing for a young GK to be on a bad team. My kid, however, seems to brush it off and doesn't internalize giving up goals, which is good. But, I'm left with the constant feeling that since his teammates are low level players, does he not push himself given the futility of the team's performance?

Sooo ... I agree. GK's can develop better on low level teams, but it comes with a few negatives depending on the psyche of the kid.

I was unaware that the Celtic Club here in Southern California had any teams in the development Academy. I know they have teams they call Academy but that isn't the same as being in the US Development Academy.

But it is impossible to get invited to tryouts. My son is a 2004. How do I get him invited to LA Galaxy Academy and LA Futsal Club Academy tryouts. I thought you had to be invited and I thought going forward they are not doing tryouts. Just inviting select players to train with the team as a tryout.
What position does your son play? And do you feel like he's ready to play at a higher pace. The coaching can be intense as well. They put a lot of pressure on the kids when it's game time. Do some reasearch on what Academy in your age group is developing. Don't just go based on a popular club name. Pay CLOSE attention to where players in the academy system played at.

I was unaware that the Celtic Club here in Southern California had any teams in the development Academy. I know they have teams they call Academy but that isn't the same as being in the US Development Academy.
For 04 in the LA area Celtic isn't part of the DA Academy system. Not sure if in the near future they will be.

OP is asking about the best way to have his kids scouted for a US development Academy team. As others in this thread have identified, one of the easiest ways to have your player scouted and or invited to an academy tryout is to play in an club with an existing Academy team. The lower-level teams are feeders for the Academy program sending their star and standout players to the higher levels including the academy.

By playing for a club and or at a level that the academy coaches do not Scout, it becomes incrementally harder to have your child identified for a US development Academy team. The same also holds true for the ODP comma which rarely Scouts the lower-level divisions.

In sum, going back to the original question, a flight 2 player playing for a team in a club with development Academy teams has a better chance of being scouted or recommended for the DA team.

OP is asking about the best way to have his kids scouted for a US development Academy team. As others in this thread have identified, one of the easiest ways to have your player scouted and or invited to an academy tryout is to play in an club with an existing Academy team. The lower-level teams are feeders for the Academy program sending their star and standout players to the higher levels including the academy.

By playing for a club and or at a level that the academy coaches do not Scout, it becomes incrementally harder to have your child identified for a US development Academy team. The same also holds true for the ODP comma which rarely Scouts the lower-level divisions.

In sum, going back to the original question, a flight 2 player playing for a team in a club with development Academy teams has a better chance of being scouted or recommended for the DA team.
Jesus Christ dude wth are you rambling about?

The response was to Axa not to OP.

But in order to get on academy team you need be scouted and I don't see any scouts at flight 2 games. How can they get seen?
Constantly check for tryouts. Look up tournaments that DA teams play in. Ask your coach to go to tournaments that have DA teams playing in as well. Sometimes coaches in the DA teams watch other teams not in the system play while they wait for their game to start. Manchester City cup is coming up and I'm sure some if not ALL DA 04 teams are showing up. If you think your son is ready, take drive out there ,see some games and approach a coach with questions. If your son wants to play DA he will have to put in ALOT of work. And you as a parent will have to commit to his DA with time and commitment. Next season DA requires a minimum of 4 practices a week.

I would look into joining a club that has a DA program through all years not just to U14... Check out several... see what you like/dislike about the club as a whole... and then speak with a few coaches and tryout for a team in your age group (or ask about tryouts for the DA)... what I have seen is that clubs like to recruit from within... so if you are already in the club you will have a better chance (more support from other coaches etc)... Also, if you are in the club the DA team can use your player as a DP meaning they can play in up to 6 games a year with the DA team but play full time for their team (and High School)... if you are not part of the club I do not believe they can use your player as a DP... many more opportunities are available if you are in a club that has a DA team... if that is your goal.

Unless it's for the youngest age groups, I think it'd be a waste of time to scout flight 2 games. There would be very few kids with the base level of athleticism needed to be an academy player. If the player is not completely dominating at flight 2, he is not an academy level player.

TBH, except for a few teams in each age group, even the academy teams don't have enough "academy level" talent.

For the keeper question:

What is necessary is for the keeper to have great technical coaching and coaches who are willing to go through the growing pains of a keeper developing. A great keeper developing will make so many mistakes and cost the team games just like a real defender developing will. Understanding proper technique for efficiency and safety IS A MUST!

Each keeper has a style. Before going for a DA make sure your keeper knows how he/she like to play and figure out to do it well. Do that at indoor leagues, futsal and with the club and "Mexican" leagues. Keepers need games to figure out what works and what doesn't.

A TRUE keeper has to have no fear meaning they are a bit unhuman. Humans think about coming out wide and blocking with the body knowing the ball may go to the face. Keepers think make the block. Period. They are different breeds.

Never wanted a keeper in the family until we had one. Now we love it. Definitely the hardest working position on the field. It's been the biggest roller coaster ride.

Can he, yes.. but you will need to create opportunities for him to be seen. Networking, talking to the coaches can help. He'll need the exposure.

coaches always looking. play in a competitive league and IF your kid is really talented, coaches will come sniffing. take them to enough camps (including ODP) and theyll be found. The elephant in the room is "Is this for you or your child?". 3-Million kids playing soccer in the US - a lil competition out there. Also some of these big clubs are about Brand Promotion, they'll always take a decent flight 2 kid and stuff them into a flight 2 team - but should they be playing flight 1? parents say OF COURSE, even club jump to do it! if your kid's coach has experience, not mr. soccer god yeller coach, trust the judgement and progression

Back