Can a flight 2 player be scouted by an academy

Can a player currently on a flight 2 team be talented enough to be desired by an Academy team, of course.

But in order to get on academy team you need be scouted and I don't see any scouts at flight 2 games. How can they get seen?

But it is impossible to get invited to tryouts. My son is a 2004. How do I get him invited to LA Galaxy Academy and LA Futsal Club Academy tryouts. I thought you had to be invited and I thought going forward they are not doing tryouts. Just inviting select players to train with the team as a tryout.

But it is impossible to get invited to tryouts. My son is a 2004. How do I get him invited to LA Galaxy Academy and LA Futsal Club Academy tryouts. I thought you had to be invited and I thought going forward they are not doing tryouts. Just inviting select players to train with the team as a tryout.

Galaxy had a signup tryout earlier this year, they limited numbers but some flight 2 players at least received invites to the first tryout.
http://www.lagalaxy.com/academy/tryouts

LAFC was by invite only, scouts or connections.
http://lafc.academy/#coach

If you're at a club that has DA or a relationship/affiliation try to work trough your coach, doc, etc and see if they would recommend your players.

If not once coaches are assigned have your players not you contact or talk to the coach directly about what the tryout or training process are for that player.

My kid plays 2nd year in DA, before that he never played Flight 1.
If the kid good enough, he will get noticed no matter where he plays.

While I mostly agree with this, my kid didn't get a look until I took him to an academy tryout. That led to an invite to a scrimmage where he proved himself. Without some extra effort, you're kid could languish in flt 2 for a very long time...

While I mostly agree with this, my kid didn't get a look until I took him to an academy tryout. That led to an invite to a scrimmage where he proved himself. Without some extra effort, you're kid could languish in flt 2 for a very long time...
The bottom line is - you don't have to be playing flight 1 to make academy team

Lower level players do make the jump, I've seen some each year that do. Normally a growth, skills spurt or something along those lines.

Many kids never get noticed, invites, or even know about DA. Recruiting happens but the majority of that is existing higher level players switching teams.

Open tryouts are not used by many club for DA, the competition can be fierce intrasquad when you have 120 kids in an age group already going for 16 spots.

If you're at a club that has DA or a relationship/affiliation try to work trough your coach, doc, etc and see if they would recommend your players.

If not once coaches are assigned have your player, not you contact or talk to the coach directly about what the tryout or training process are for that player.

For a goalie, is it better for them to be on an academy or very good top tier team, or to play on a not so great team? If the teams have great coaching, would the keeper develop more with the lower team, where he'd get lots of action and need to really help organize the defense? Or is it better to play with a team that has a great defense and the keeper sees little action- but the quality of shots is high and speed of play faster? U13-14 level.

For a goalie, is it better for them to be on an academy or very good top tier team, or to play on a not so great team? If the teams have great coaching, would the keeper develop more with the lower team, where he'd get lots of action and need to really help organize the defense? Or is it better to play with a team that has a great defense and the keeper sees little action- but the quality of shots is high and speed of play faster? U13-14 level.

Great question Id also like to know the answer to. Keepers get much more experience on clubs with poor defenses. But they get no exposure because, well, they are on a team with poor defense that doesnt win as much as a top level team that only gives up 5 shots on goal a game.

Great question Id also like to know the answer to. Keepers get much more experience on clubs with poor defenses. But they get no exposure because, well, they are on a team with poor defense that doesnt win as much as a top level team that only gives up 5 shots on goal a game.

I agree with you on this, it depends on what the head coaches are looking for, they might be looking at size only or they might be looking at skills, reactions or they are very strong on having a full keeper ( skills, foot skills, voice of command) my choice would be a full keeper. But ive notice that some head coaches are only looking for size.

If your son is playing for GSA or Galaxy won't have lot's of action this or next season, but it would really be better for his in the future, GSA and Galaxy are always competing for championships.

I asked this question of my son's outside keeper coach, and he is of the opinion that really good keepers will get noticed even if they are not on top level teams. He agreed that this wouldn't be so true for field players. Maybe it depends a bit on how well networked the keeper coach and regular coach are? I would think though that there must be an age where it is imperative for the keepers to be on a top team, no..?

I asked this question of my son's outside keeper coach, and he is of the opinion that really good keepers will get noticed even if they are not on top level teams. He agreed that this wouldn't be so true for field players. Maybe it depends a bit on how well networked the keeper coach and regular coach are? I would think though that there must be an age where it is imperative for the keepers to be on a top team, no..?

The players that get noticed are the ones who score lots of goals, even if they can't play a lick of defense. The defenders that get noticed are the big-fast-strong athletes, even if they can't play lick of offense.

The players that get noticed are the ones who score lots of goals, even if they can't play a lick of defense. The defenders that get noticed are the big-fast-strong athletes, even if they can't play lick of offense.

In general yes, but good coaches recognize work ethic from players in every position.

This reminds me of when I was watching the American Music Awards. I heard from my kids while watching that Drake was on one of those kids shows, so his exposure to the scene and his current popularity is not as much of a surprise. Meaning, he didn't emerge out of nowhere. There is a similarity to academy. A player can come out of nowhere, maybe AYSO or flight 3, but it may be more difficult. The game is happening faster. Decisions have to be made at a much more rapid pace. It's harder for a player coming from a slower paced game to play at that pace, as was said in an earlier post, the intensity may not be baked into the player at a young age and so there is more to get used to, especially in a tryout, which can be stressful for the kids if academy is their dream (or their parents dream). It took my son a year, and he was kind of an outlier on the team - same or maybe more speed and similar skills, but not confident, not bold, not fearless, basically the smallest. He'd rather not step initially and chase the ball later. He won't last with that mentality, but I think the coaches understand that everyone has to develop. My son played flight 1 right away, then dropped to a lower flight, then made an academy club and is angling to play academy next year if he can make it. This is all before age 10, so yeah he was young, but he was always the one with skill and a soft touch, maybe too soft, but we'll see, but not the biggest, not a goal scorer, none of those things you think of when you think of academy.

Think of job you go to every day. Not everyone is a superstar. There are many role players, but role players who are looking for an opportunity to step up, but companies need role players, that is the bulk of the workforce really. Most of the academy team shouldn't be role players, they should be more than that if they're going to be really good like some teams are, but you need players who show up, who understand the game, who will chase the ball under all circumstances, as much as you need the superstars who don't always come to training or who are too young to pass when they should but too good to be left on the bench for too long.

Why not get the kid into the flight 1 team first, and see if he can contribute? What makes DA so important to YOU, or is it important to your son? Who says that LAGA or LAFCA is the better option for his development? Ever seen a training session, or a game? Find a good coach that understands how to develop young talent, and stick with him (or her). I'm not saying DA isn't the best, I'm just saying it isn't the best for every kid kicking a ball around.

Can you say, Claudio Bravo
Came from a great team and has floundered in EPL.

Back