Blowouts

When I was a rec coach our club transitioned from having the strong team pull players off the field to having the weak team add players as it meant more kids getting a chance to play more minutes. It isn't always the best solution, but it some cases it may be. Yeah, I know, rules, blah, blah, blah.
That is what we try to do in the rec league that I run, unless that is all the players they have. We do it at a 4 goal differential.

I know a family that was on the winning side of that game. It wasn't a fun day for them either (but not as bad as being on the losing side). From what I heard from that parent, the coach did what he could to try to slow down the scoring, from instituting a number of passes required before the team could shoot to pulling girls off the field and playing with fewer players. Unfortunately this is one of the better teams at this age group and they too had no other choice then to play bronze. Evidently, the other team was actually made up of girls that were 09/10 birthdays. That's up to two years younger than this stronger 08 team and who many have been playing together for several years. They were easily able to connect the ever climbing number of passes the coach wanted before they could shoot. It's going to be a very long season for the losing team and they are going to have some really lopsided scores. My question is why would a club set up their kids to be in such a situation?

I know a family that was on the winning side of that game. It wasn't a fun day for them either (but not as bad as being on the losing side). From what I heard from that parent, the coach did what he could to try to slow down the scoring, from instituting a number of passes required before the team could shoot to pulling girls off the field and playing with fewer players. Unfortunately this is one of the better teams at this age group and they too had no other choice then to play bronze. Evidently, the other team was actually made up of girls that were 09/10 birthdays. That's up to two years younger than this stronger 08 team and who many have been playing together for several years. They were easily able to connect the ever climbing number of passes the coach wanted before they could shoot. It's going to be a very long season for the losing team and they are going to have some really lopsided scores. My question is why would a club set up their kids to be in such a situation?

So they scored 31 goals on a bunch of 6 year olds? Oh. My. God.

Do you know anyone on the 17-0 team? Would love to hear on that one...

These examples reminds me of a game several years ago when my kid was U12 playing in a tournament where his team was up 6-0 or something like it by the half time. The coach made them connect 6 passes before they can take a shot and only from outside the 18 box.

My kid got the pass count wrong and took a shot after 5 passes and the coach made him do 20 push-ups right there on the field while the game continued. The ref was looking at it with a laughter as he knew what was going on. Another kid took a shot from inside the 18 and another 20 push-ups.

The coach can do a lot to slow the game down and not run the score up, if so desired.

The coach can do a lot to slow the game down and not run the score up, if so desired.

^ That's exactly it. Which makes this even more sad. Just curious if anyone knows how the Fullerton team has done against teams in SCDSL or others (as in tourneys). Meaning, is Fullerton just that good or is Westminster to blame for even taking parents money and fielding a team that will get crushed every week. Having said that, I still fault Fullerton more (specifically the coach and club) for ripping the love of the game out of little kids hearts (both winners and losers). Not one good lesson could have came out of 31-0.

Wow. Well, clearly that's a terrible move by Westminster to field a younger team in an older division in league play. My daughter's club teams have done it in tournaments or in city rec leagues when the coach wanted to toughen them up against bigger opponents, but usually its just for a few games. Those kids are going to have to endure 11 games over 2 months where they get absolutely trounced. Any kid who comes out of a season like that still excited about playing soccer has my full admiration. On the flip side, the Fullerton coach might have felt bad and tried to stem the tide, but mandating passes obviously wasn't enough. Next time he plays them, he really should pull players from the field and play short handed. Like maybe half of them.

How about at halftime, agree to call it 10-0. And then swap goalies so that at least the Fullerton keeper sees a ball a few times.

I call B.S. on this one. The coach OBVIOUSLY did not try hard enough.

How bout the Coach stepping in and saying, "No more shooting on goal. We are going to work on our possession. Can we keep the ball away from the other team? How many passes can we string together in a row? I want to see how good our movement is off the ball so that the player with the ball has multiple options to pass to. When we lose the ball, how fast can we win it back? When we win the ball back we have to restart our build up by going back to our GK. Girls, this 2nd half is going to be all about how well we can maintain possession of the ball."

I've been on both sides of the "blowout problem" and that's a way in which the better team can work on something other than scoring and attacking and it doesn't completely humiliate the inferior team.

Yes - there are many ways to not score. Too many to name. This coach who ran the score up to 31-0 just plainly blew it. No excuses. Really ignorant. She/He blew it!

I felt bad when during my first game as rec coach my team won by 7-0. We were actually up 2-0 before I knew it as I was flailing around trying to keep track of subs. It turned out I had been assigned a team that ended up supplying five all stars for that season. We worked hard after that as a team to not run up the score against weaker teams. I think the Rangers coach should maybe send an apology to the other team. An in person apology would be even better explaining that it was his/her fault and very unsporting. If that hasn't already happened, the Rangers DOC should encourage it. This is low level competitive soccer, not international play.

To some extent I understand high scoring, one sided games with the younger ages. But, looking at some of the results for B2002 (these boys should all be freshmen in HS) in SCDSL this past weekend, there were quite a few lopsided wins. Two Flt 2 B2002 teams won 14-0 and a Flt 1 team won 13-0. I hope this is not a trend that will continue throughout the season.

I know it is easy to do the math, but it really does not take very long. I remember last year at a game with my team it got ugly early. We scored on 3 passes from kick off, then continued to steal the kick off. Before I could blink, it was 7-0. I looked down at my watch when the 7th went it, we were 3:40 into the game. It was the longest last 36:20 in history. The coach kept apologizing to me, it wasn't his fault as the manager filled out the registration wrong. In the ulittle, you can score in 5-10 seconds. That said, it should never, ever get to that. At the Copa Del Mar we had a certain famous coach in these parts win his 09 games 22-0 and 19-0. Then crowed about it in his email that he sends out....
You realize this is competitive soccer, right? You realize that 2009's have the mental capacity to read, write, ride a bike, and even learn technical soccer, right? Wait...don't answer that, I already know the answer. You realize AYSO plays recreational soccer, right? You realize that not every child should be playing competitive soccer, right? You must realize that not every small community in the san diego area should start their own club therefore watering down the talent at the club level, right? You realize that if you swim in Australian waters you may be bitten by a shark, right? Maybe....don't swim in shark infested waters, then blame the shark for biting you, then criticize the shark for probably enjoying the bite, then write about it in a forum about how sharks should realize that although you invaded their habitat, they should have the decency to not enjoy biting you.

Last edited:
You realize this is competitive soccer, right? You realize that 2009's have the mental capacity to read, write, ride a bike, and even learn technical soccer, right? Wait...don't answer that, I already know the answer. You realize AYSO plays recreational soccer, right? You realize that not every child should be playing competitive soccer, right? You must realize that not every small community in in the san diego should start their own club therefore watering down the talent at the club level, right? You realize that if you swim in Australian waters you may be bitten by a shark, right? Maybe....don't swim in shark infested waters, then blame the shark for biting you, then criticize the shark for probably enjoying the bite, then write about it in a forum about how sharks should realize that although you invaded their habitat, they should have the decency to not enjoy biting you.
Wow, looked who joined the forum today....

Calling the Fullerton team a bunch of sharks is pretty harsh. Some of the other posters were kind of beating around the bush, but I wasn't sure any adult would really go there. The Fullerton kids are just a bunch of nice kids who played soccer and listen to their coach. They weren't trying to show the other kids their place in the food chain. Lets be civil about it.

Calling the Fullerton team a bunch of sharks is pretty harsh. Some of the other posters were kind of beating around the bush, but I wasn't sure any adult would really go there. The Fullerton kids are just a bunch of nice kids who played soccer and listen to their coach. They weren't trying to show the other kids their place in the food chain. Lets be civil about it.
The aforementioned Copa Del Mar is the Sharks tournament...it was a bit of a play on words..But your point is well taken. I will condemn any coach that tries to play the sharks vs minnows game at practice. Don't call my precious a Shark!
OK that was a joke but seriously, would you tell your children's 1st grade teacher not to outperform other schools in a spelling bee. Would that teacher be expected to tell her children to spell slower so as not to offend? Would that same first grade teacher not be supported for writing a newsletter praising the children and explaining his/her teaching technique?

Last edited:
The aforementioned Copa Del Mar is the Sharks tournament...it was a bit of a play on words..But your point is well taken. I will condemn any coach that tries to play the sharks vs minnows game at practice. Don't call my precious a Shark!
OK that was a joke but seriously, would you tell your children's 1st grade teacher not to outperform other schools in a spelling bee. Would that teacher be expected to tell her children spell slower so as not to offend? Would that same first grade teacher not supported for writing a newsletter praising the children and explaining his/her teaching technique?
At the risk of using another animal analogy, I think the issue is that it becomes akin to beating a dead horse after a certain point. Most people are pretty sure the horse is dead for sure at about 11-0. I think a lot of teams could deliver a beating to other teams of 30 or more points. It is just really strange to see a team actually do it and it makes you wonder why. Was there still joy in scoring that 31st goal or were they still kicking just because they couldn't think of anything better to do? Even if there was joy, was there something more valuable that the winning team could have taken from the game?

How bout the Coach stepping in and saying, "No more shooting on goal. We are going to work on our possession. Can we keep the ball away from the other team? How many passes can we string together in a row? I want to see how good our movement is off the ball so that the player with the ball has multiple options to pass to. When we lose the ball, how fast can we win it back? When we win the ball back we have to restart our build up by going back to our GK. Girls, this 2nd half is going to be all about how well we can maintain possession of the ball."

I've been on both sides of the "blowout problem" and that's a way in which the better team can work on something other than scoring and attacking and it doesn't completely humiliate the inferior team.

Don't fool yourself and think passing the ball around is a better solution, as it can be equally as humiliating, if not more to the losing side. I've been a part of this "possession" (U9) and no shots and it made the kids look foolish. Chasing, chasing, chasing and never touching the ball is not a solution. One team even bounced the ball around right in front of the own net and were laughing it up while doing it.

Taking kids off the field and playing 2 or 3 players down is about the only sensible remedy, although certainly doesn't guarantee goals not being scored.

BTW...this doesn't just happen at the younger ages. Last weekend in the SCDSL boys 02 division (U15) a team won 14-0. That opens up a whole different can of worms, as boys at the age don't like to be humiliated (lots of testosterone cursing through them boys).

Don't fool yourself and think passing the ball around is a better solution, as it can be equally as humiliating, if not more to the losing side. I've been a part of this "possession" (U9) and no shots and it made the kids look foolish. Chasing, chasing, chasing and never touching the ball is not a solution. One team even bounced the ball around right in front of the own net and were laughing it up while doing it.

Taking kids off the field and playing 2 or 3 players down is about the only sensible remedy, although certainly doesn't guarantee goals not being scored.

BTW...this doesn't just happen at the younger ages. Last weekend in the SCDSL boys 02 division (U15) a team won 14-0. That opens up a whole different can of worms, as boys at the age don't like to be humiliated (lots of testosterone cursing through them boys).

My son's high school team beat a league opponent 9-0. In the later game at their field the final score was 5-0. Our team mom had brought our boys a post-game meal (fried chicken and stuff), but before they could gather up the gear and finish the food the opponents had locked the gates and turned off the lights.

Blue I had something similar happen during the Legends spring tournament a few years ago, but the teams (Yellow and Blue) were GU16. The team had been entered late at a discounted price to fill a bracket spot that was at least two flights higher than they should have been playing. 6-0, 10 minutes into the game, when the Yellow coach took two players out. At 7-0, 12 minutes into the game, the coach took another player off and told the players they had to link 20 passes before they could shoot and only from beyond the Penalty area. At 8-0, 15 minutes into the game, he said no more shooting. The Blue team became very frustrated as they tried to chase the ball around and my job as a referee became injury prevention. The Blue coach was trying to control his players, but 15-16 year old girls can be hard to control. The Blue players started going in late and hard on the Yellow players. At halftime the two coaches and Field Marshal approached me and said they would like to stop the game and the tournament was okay with the game ending as being played in full. I completely agreed, but when I indicated the game was over a bunch of Blue parents started yelling and protesting that their team did not have a chance to come back and that they paid good money for a full length game. The players from both teams looked relieved that the game was over. That next week a parent from the losing team came on this forum and started blasting the Yellow team especially the coach for playing "dirty" and running up the score. The parent also blasted the referee, me, for "taking it upon myself to stop the game." That parent was a fool and tried to blame everyone else for the Blue team losing.

Luckily with the 31-0 game those little kids did not do what the olders did and try to take out (injure) the winning teams players.

Back