Blowouts

I've said for a long time that at the younger ages, there should be an initial 6 games to the season. And then teams should be shuffled around based on their performance over those 6 games.
It doesn't do either team any good to win or lose by 10+ goals. Especially if it happens consistently.

There was a 31-0 in CSL G2008 division last weekend.
Holy crap! By far the most lopsided score I've ever heard of. Disgusting, really. I like the idea of playing shorthanded once the outcome is not in question. In that 31-0 game, I don't care if you end up with just the keeper and one defender left, you've got to do SOMETHING if you're the coach up by double digits. Even if you come from the school of thought, "Hey this ain't AYSO, we're not here to make people feel good, blah, blah, blah..." your own players are getting zero from that experience. Not even worth the parent's or kids time. Play them shorthanded and make the kids work for crying out loud.

I've said for a long time that at the younger ages, there should be an initial 6 games to the season. And then teams should be shuffled around based on their performance over those 6 games.
It doesn't do either team any good to win or lose by 10+ goals. Especially if it happens consistently.
I agree as to G08, but it probably would only take 3 games, if you consider point differential in the analysis. The thing is, for G07 these are teams that already played a season of club last year, so there isn't really a good reason not to have them divided by skill levels.

Holy crap! By far the most lopsided score I've ever heard of. Disgusting, really. I like the idea of playing shorthanded once the outcome is not in question. In that 31-0 game, I don't care if you end up with just the keeper and one defender left, you've got to do SOMETHING if you're the coach up by double digits. Even if you come from the school of thought, "Hey this ain't AYSO, we're not here to make people feel good, blah, blah, blah..." your own players are getting zero from that experience. Not even worth the parent's or kids time. Play them shorthanded and make the kids work for crying out loud.
Or play them a year up if they are that good. There are other options. This looks like a real culture problem among a few teams, though. The same team that won 31-0, their G07 was pummeled 12-1 last weekend (which appears merciful in comparison). This seems like something that could be resolved by a gentlemen's agreement, but there are no gentlemen to be found. Otherwise, what goes around comes around...

Interesting fact:
In 2001 Australian Men's National team beat Tonga 22:0, American Samoa 31:0 and Samoa 11:0 just to prove the point that Australia shouldn't be playing in Oceania Conference.
Maybe CSL should take a hint....

I'm a team manager, and in the SCDSL they've instructed us to not even call in scores 8-0 or higher. My older girl played flight 1 at U8 & U9 and we took some beatings. Surf, Galaxy and few others who could have run it up never did. They would take girls off the field, play it back to the keeper, try different formations, play kids out of position, etc...and they would never call in anything worse than 8-0. Whoever called in a 31-0 should be ashamed.

My son played in a tournament last year at U8 and we lost 26-1. The worst part was that the boys were running up and down the sidelines blowing kisses and high fiving the parents cheering them on at goals 24, 25, and still at 26. I still can't believe that is what I saw. Have also had the flip side experience of our coach allowing only header or left foot goals after a 5 goal lead (or no goals at all depending on the amount of time left), and have seen other teams quietly remove a player at a time until they were playing 8 v 11 and the match got even.
There are lots of options, and yes I would never call in a score like that.

The worst part was that the boys were running up and down the sidelines blowing kisses and high fiving the parents cheering them on at goals 24, 25, and still at 26.

That's crazy, our parents usually start talking among themselves and stop watching the game after a 5 goal differential.

The coach can always volunteer to subtract a few of his own.

I think that is the more legal option. I think you can proceed with 4 or 5 on a team in a 7v7, so you can take off at least 2. In addition, I think too many wait until they are 10-0 to start making changes. If you are at 5-0 in the first 15 minutes, you know how it is going to go and I think you tell the starters to take the day off and ride the bench for once. With certain teams, it could make a difference. With the 31-0 team, their bench is (usually) deep skill-wise so pulling players would also have been necessary.

When I was a rec coach our club transitioned from having the strong team pull players off the field to having the weak team add players as it meant more kids getting a chance to play more minutes. It isn't always the best solution, but it some cases it may be. Yeah, I know, rules, blah, blah, blah.

There was a 31-0 in CSL G2008 division last weekend.

Hopefully that is a misreported score as that would be a goal every minute and half. Considering the time taken for restarts, throw-ins, balls out of bounds, etc that would be a relentless barrage of shots with no let up the entire game. I'm a little skeptical of that scoreline.

If a team has 9 players, then each of them scored at least 3 goals in a 31-0 game.
I believe those games are 40 minutes long. That's a goal every 77 seconds. WTF?
I assume that it takes 10 seconds to steal the ball after the kickoff and dribble towards the goal. And I assume that after each goal is scored, it takes about 20 seconds to dig the ball out of the back of the net and get ready for the restart.
So that leaves 47 seconds between goals. Factor in a few throw ins. Maybe a goal kick or 2. A few corner kicks. Maybe a few seconds here and there for substitutions.
And now that we have the build out line, the winning team shouldn't have been able to camp out at the top of the 18 and launch shots on goal kicks.
Was anybody at this game? What the heck happened?

Just coached AYSO GU12 game this weekend. At 5-0 after 3 quarters every girl that has scored this season was moved to defense. Final was 5-1. Next time we go up 4-0 going to move some girls up front and try and get them their first goal of the year and have some of my better players try for assists with those girls. Every kid and parent likes to see their kid score once.

If a team has 9 players, then each of them scored at least 3 goals in a 31-0 game.
I assume that it takes 10 seconds to steal the ball after the kickoff and dribble towards the goal. And I assume that after each goal is scored, it takes about 20 seconds to dig the ball out of the back of the net and get ready for the restart.
So that leaves 47 seconds between goals. Factor in a few throw ins. Maybe a goal kick or 2. A few corner kicks. Maybe a few seconds here and there for substitutions.
And now that we have the build out line, the winning team shouldn't have been able to camp out at the top of the 18 and launch shots on goal kicks.

I wasn't there, but the funny (or sad) part I imagine isn't how long it took to score, but just digging the ball out of the net and dragging it back to center line, where the losing team is taking the first kick after the ref blows the whistle has to take about a minute. These games are 50 minutes total, so that would mean less than a minute to score each goal average - meaning some were more and some were less.

I know it is easy to do the math, but it really does not take very long. I remember last year at a game with my team it got ugly early. We scored on 3 passes from kick off, then continued to steal the kick off. Before I could blink, it was 7-0. I looked down at my watch when the 7th went it, we were 3:40 into the game. It was the longest last 36:20 in history. The coach kept apologizing to me, it wasn't his fault as the manager filled out the registration wrong. In the ulittle, you can score in 5-10 seconds. That said, it should never, ever get to that. At the Copa Del Mar we had a certain famous coach in these parts win his 09 games 22-0 and 19-0. Then crowed about it in his email that he sends out....

Back