Best 09 teams ?

When my dd was 7&8 I always made her feel like she was the best. I made sure whatever anyone else said was complete BS.

Confidence makes all the difference. And who doesn't like a confident princess?

So loving her team translates to loving soccer?

What's the difference between AYSO and Club soccer? They're both recreational.

There was a time when I also thought that club soccer was a waste of money and that AYSO was good enough. My boys are now 14 and they bounced around through like 8 rec teams until I put them in club recently. I can tell you that they developed bad habits and they never made any friends because of the way the Rec teams change every season. My daughter started Rec a year ago and I just cringed when I saw the waste of time standing in the cold for 90 minutes (2x a week) to see my daughter learn nothing from a parent coach. I decided to get her into club and I have met some great parents and she is making friends. She even corrected me the other day when I was practicing at home with her and I was kicking the ball with the wrong part of the foot. I just need to make sure that I don't push her too much and give her a break in the spring so she doesn't burn out in a few years.

There was a time when I also thought that club soccer was a waste of money and that AYSO was good enough. My boys are now 14 and they bounced around through like 8 rec teams until I put them in club recently. I can tell you that they developed bad habits and they never made any friends because of the way the Rec teams change every season. My daughter started Rec a year ago and I just cringed when I saw the waste of time standing in the cold for 90 minutes (2x a week) to see my daughter learn nothing from a parent coach. I decided to get her into club and I have met some great parents and she is making friends. She even corrected me the other day when I was practicing at home with her and I was kicking the ball with the wrong part of the foot. I just need to make sure that I don't push her too much and give her a break in the spring so she doesn't burn out in a few years.

I agree but 14 is a lot different than 7. Private training is better because how much time does a coach have to focus on individual skills in an hour and a half to two hour training session with 14 kids? A private trainer can spend an hour and a half with 2-4 kids and actually focus on improving individual skills. I would say that was my best use of money during my player's early club soccer years. Good ball skills equals confidence and the ability to take in and execute the tactical training received at team practice. Without significant ball skills you can forget about advancing beyond pay for play in soccer. By U14 if they don't have the skills already it might be too late.

So loving her team translates to loving soccer?

What's the difference between AYSO and Club soccer? They're both recreational.
They get to stay with the same group girls year round vs. being placed on a new team with different girls and coach. Also starting from scratch, kids like structure and consistency. Plus they are not both recreational ones for development and the other is for kicks and giggles.

I agree but 14 is a lot different than 7. Private training is better because how much time does a coach have to focus on individual skills in an hour and a half to two hour training session with 14 kids? A private trainer can spend an hour and a half with 2-4 kids and actually focus on improving individual skills. I would say that was my best use of money during my player's early club soccer years. Good ball skills equals confidence and the ability to take in and execute the tactical training received at team practice. Without significant ball skills you can forget about advancing beyond pay for play in soccer. By U14 if they don't have the skills already it might be too late.

Right, my kids did take private lessons from 9 to 13. The problem becomes that when the Rec coach wants the team to play kickball, they cannot use their recently learned skills. Also every season with Rec, the first month If I could have found a good rec team with a good coach that could keep the team together for more than 3 months, I would have stayed for ever in Rec. I don't want to pay $2,000 per child in club when I know that they are not making it pro or getting scholarships. The other factor is that your child will have a very tough time making a good Varsity High School team if they don't have any club experience. My point is that, I believe there is a big difference between skills learned at club vs recreational level even if you add private lessons.

They get to stay with the same group girls year round vs. being placed on a new team with different girls and coach. Also starting from scratch, kids like structure and consistency. Plus they are not both recreational ones for development and the other is for kicks and giggles.

AYSO signature is like a club team. Again at 7 if development is your true goal and not just a buzz word that you picked up from somebody with a foreign accent then private training was the best money that I spent at the ULittle ages. The club coach is developing a team first and players second.

Right, my kids did take private lessons from 9 to 13. The problem becomes that when the Rec coach wants the team to play kickball, they cannot use their recently learned skills. Also every season with Rec, the first month If I could have found a good rec team with a good coach that could keep the team together for more than 3 months, I would have stayed for ever in Rec. I don't want to pay $2,000 per child in club when I know that they are not making it pro or getting scholarships. The other factor is that your child will have a very tough time making a good Varsity High School team if they don't have any club experience. My point is that, I believe there is a big difference between skills learned at club vs recreational level even if you add private lessons.

I hear you and agree on most of what you said especially the $2k plus. You just want to do the best for your kids which is awesome. Let me share a little of my experience just for context.

My player played AYSO from U5-U9 and had parent coaches. Some good and some bad. For our family the impetus to move her was when they started restricting what she could do on the field due to non-soccer issues (don't go pass half field, let someone else score, we have to take you out because you are scoring too much and upsetting the other team, etc.). Now she had opportunities to play club prior to that but honestly she was involved in too many other activities to spend the time needed on soccer. The turning point was an AYSO all star group that had some other motivated kids on it that she enjoyed playing with and that all wanted to improve.

We took her to a brand name club that was referred to us and yes there was better coaching but individually other than the warm ups there wasn't much focus on improving player skills and this was an old CSL silver level team at U10 so it was a good team (at the time there was only 2 silver brackets and 1 silver elite bracket as the top level at U10). She improved but it wasn't because of some magical training sessions it was simply because she was playing with and against better players. Her first big leap in club came two years latter when we left her first club, got her privates and found a coach as focused on player development as team development. It worked out for us as she just completed her first college soccer season this year.

My point in telling you this is that coaching and skills development was the key but it wasn't as important at 7 as it was later. Good luck to you and yours.

Back