Baseball..

$70M per year for 10. That's about $ 1,750,000 every 2 weeks after taxes. Not a bad gig if you can get it.
Beer will cost $100. Dodger Dog $60. They will charge to use the bathrooms. At least that might keep Richard Espola from conducting surveys about urinal use..

Say it ain't so, Sho --

It's interesting to watch how carefully the ESPN reporters are treading lightly around the Ohtani interpreter story. It smells as if they have a lawyer yelling at them in their earpieces.

Except for Steven A. Smith, who seems to be foaming at the mouth about it, only to be held back by his more reserved coworkers.*

*I have an online friend who always responds to this word with "How does one ork a cow?"

Last edited:
Say it ain't so, Sho --

It's interesting to watch how carefully the ESPN reporters are treading around the Ohtani interpreter story. It smells as if they have a lawyer yelling at them in their earpieces.

Except for Steven A. Smith, who seems to be foaming at the mouth about it, only to be held back by his more reserved coworkers.*

*I have an online friend who always responds to this word with "How does one ork a cow?"

Stephen is always foaming at the mouth because he's a dipshit.

Stephen is always foaming at the mouth because he's a dipshit.
He's acting like he wants to be the one to break what would be the biggest story in the history of pro baseball if Ohtani gets suspended for betting on baseball, and he is driving ESPN's lawyers nuts. I wonder if they have him on a 10-second delay yet.

If the bets were placed from California, they are prima facie illegal under California law. Of course, Ohtani and/or his interpreter have plenty of opportunities to place bats from other states where it is legal, or from Japan or Korea or on an airliner over international waters (don't know if any of that escapes the California net, since the bookmaker in question was allegedly located in California).

Last edited:
Since when are you a Padre fan..
I stopped being a true Padres fan in 1998 (4 season tickets for 10 years, and several intervals of 2 season tickets for a few years dating back to 1972) because I didn't like the political maneuvering they were using to get the new ballpark built and coincidentally enrich the owners with eminent domain powers to take over a big swath of properties in downtown San Diego. When I received my 1999 season ticket notice, I threw it in the trash. The next notice I got from them was a bill for $50 for "account cancellation fee". I still owe them that $50. The only times I have been to Petco Park (which turned out pretty nice, I must grumpily admit) was when someone else was buying the tickets.

However, I still lived in San Diego County, so they were "our" team and always on the TV, and the Don and Mud broadcast team is the best in baseball (so they've got that going for them). Now that we have moved away, I can get MLB app more or less free attached to my T-Mobile cellphone account, which means I can watch all the Don and Mud broadcasts -- except when they play the Giants or As.

I stopped being a true Padres fan in 1998 (4 season tickets for 10 years, and several intervals of 2 season tickets for a few years dating back to 1972) because I didn't like the political maneuvering they were using to get the new ballpark built and coincidentally enrich the owners with eminent domain powers to take over a big swath of properties in downtown San Diego. When I received my 1999 season ticket notice, I threw it in the trash. The next notice I got from them was a bill for $50 for "account cancellation fee". I still owe them that $50. The only times I have been to Petco Park (which turned out pretty nice, I must grumpily admit) was when someone else was buying the tickets.

However, I still lived in San Diego County, so they were "our" team and always on the TV, and the Don and Mud broadcast team is the best in baseball (so they've got that going for them). Now that we have moved away, I can get MLB app more or less free attached to my T-Mobile cellphone account, which means I can watch all the Don and Mud broadcasts -- except when they play the Giants or As.

Wow... you managed to move to a market where the only 2 teams, worse than the Padres, steal oxygen from their respective ballparks.

Back