Albion Cup

Is there any limit on the # of times a Discovery Player can play for the ECNL side during the season?

Very interesting...are there restrictions on DA players being “Discovery Players” on ECNL teams. Or rather DPL at this age group. Just curious. Sorry, not familiar with the all the rules and details around this.

Very interesting...are there restrictions on DA players being “Discovery Players” on ECNL teams. Or rather DPL at this age group. Just curious. Sorry, not familiar with the all the rules and details around this.
I am not a da expert, but my understanding is that da players aren’t allowed to participate on any other soccer teams, so da would not allow them to be ecnl discovery players. Of course, dpl is not associated with da, so I am not sure is dpl has a similar rule as da.

Why would SoCal Academy agree to that?
SoCal Academy has done a great job of understanding how to support players with opportunities, both their own and other players not from their club.

Both Esteban Chavez and Villanueva have the connections and have been very realistic in terms of where they currently fall in the SoCal club soccer landscape and where they want to go moving forward. If they were the size of Legends, for example, they could afford to be dismissive of their players because they have so many to replace them.

From what I've seen first hand they afford their players opportunities to play up for the olders when appropriate, guest for additional touches, guest for player and coaches networking, helping their players get recruited, helping other players get recruited.

In terms of what actual impact or benefits it brings can be argued, but from my perspective they're being advocates for the players across the board and those players pay them back as best they can.

Just one example would be the 05 player who plays for Beach 03 DA. Along with her family they have been very vocal about the support they've received from SoCal Academy and that goes along way when players who look to her and others like her as examples, and they give SoCal Academy the seal of approval.

As a parent of a GK daughter who has guested for literally dozens of clubs / teams over the year for various reasons, I can appreciate a coach and club that supports my DD and is doing the right thing with no guarantees that it will come back to benefit them, other than knowing it benefited the player.

My DD guested and played up for SoCal Academy's 04s when their keeper was hurt, and Esteban was very respectful and supportive of my player. I hope their 06 player takes full advantage of the Discovery Player opportunity with Blues ECNL and hope it works out for both her and SoCal Academy.

As Albion parent on other lower team, I can tell U this:

U might have only watched the Blues/Albion and Blues/Slammers and not the Slammers/Albion. I was able to watch all 3 games. Slammers definately played better versus Albion as game didn’t go to PKs and they were up most of the way though Albion was a tough team. I thought both teams deserve much credit.

As near as I could tell, Slammers only had 11 or 12 all weekend and were tired in the last match. And in the second half, when it went to 2-0, it looked like they tried some different lineups, from what it looked like, as a last effort which also made it look worse but they definately looked better versus Albion. It seemed like they were scrambling more. Still, I have to give credit to both teams.

As near as I could tell, Blues had 18 total including a few girls with taped numbers on the jersey, which to me is a sign that they are not regular members of the team. Blues deserved to win and previous ppl are right that they did look better than they had before with more new/guest players.

Congrats to all three teams for a tournament well played. Just a bit more insight since I was fortunate enough to see all games since we had to stick around and help out/volunteer for my other daughters final.

But Slammers scored the 1 goal against albion off a pk. The keeper came out at a slammers player and the ref called a foul for that. Besides that the game would have been 0-0.

Why all the hate against the Slammers? Were you involved?

I don’t think anyone is hating on Slammers. On the contrary, everyone who saw them play acknowledge in this forum that they are a very good team and a force to be reckoned with.
In regards to the Albion-Slammers game, people are simply expressing their point of view. I also watched this game and I thought Albion had more ball procession and were slightly the better side. Unfortunately, they were on the wrong end of a questionable call which resulted in a penalty kick. The center ref was near the play and didn’t call anything. I was very surprised to see the linesman raising his flag and making the call. In my opinion, this should have been a no call.

I don’t think anyone is hating on Slammers. On the contrary, everyone who saw them play acknowledge in this forum that they are a very good team and a force to be reckoned with.
In regards to the Albion-Slammers game, people are simply expressing their point of view. I also watched this game and I thought Albion had more ball procession and were slightly the better side. Unfortunately, they were on the wrong end of a questionable call which resulted in a penalty kick. The center ref was near the play and didn’t call anything. I was very surprised to see the linesman raising his flag and making the call. In my opinion, this should have been a no call.
My friend on team showed me the video. I'm not on team. Personally, I'm sympathetic to that team since they aren't as vocal.

Here's what I saw and heard from text -- they aren't on Socal Soccer: "Not true at all, center ref ran in and made the call immediately. The ball passed the goalie and if goalie didn't stop the player, they would have scored. Ball wasn't near player or goalie. Slammers had goal in net called back and another unfortunate call in open field where defender fell without contact also. I'm not arguing these or saying Albion is any lesser of a team at all. Calls went both ways. Albion at home so no way to get homer calls."

Don't want to argue this at all. It is what it is. I respect your opinion though I don't believe you saw the game. Obviously, I tend to agree with my friend since I saw the video, and they're my friend and I don't believe they lie. Agree to disagree.

Blues had a weak game against GPS 1-0 and LAGSB2 beat GPS 3-1 also in addition to tying Albion, so teams have ups and downs. It's hard to make generalizations on hearsay or how they play against a single team. Wish you the best!!!

Just curious, did you see the Blues vs GPS game?
My friend on team showed me the video. I'm not on team. Personally, I'm sympathetic to that team since they aren't as vocal.

Here's what I saw and heard from text -- they aren't on Socal Soccer: "Not true at all, center ref ran in and made the call immediately. The ball passed the goalie and if goalie didn't stop the player, they would have scored. Ball wasn't near player or goalie. Slammers had goal in net called back and another unfortunate call in open field where defender fell without contact also. I'm not arguing these or saying Albion is any lesser of a team at all. Calls went both ways. Albion at home so no way to get homer calls."

Don't want to argue this at all. It is what it is. I respect your opinion though I don't believe you saw the game. Obviously, I tend to agree with my friend since I saw the video, and they're my friend and I don't believe they lie. Agree to disagree.

Blues had a weak game against GPS 1-0 and LAGSB2 beat GPS 3-1 also in addition to tying Albion, so teams have ups and downs. It's hard to make generalizations on hearsay or how they play against a single team. Wish you the best!!!
Just

"...I can appreciate a coach and club that supports my DD and is doing the right thing with no guarantees that it will come back to benefit them, other than knowing it benefited the player."

Agreed

SoCal Academy has done a great job of understanding how to support players with opportunities, both their own and other players not from their club.

Both Esteban Chavez and Villanueva have the connections and have been very realistic in terms of where they currently fall in the SoCal club soccer landscape and where they want to go moving forward. If they were the size of Legends, for example, they could afford to be dismissive of their players because they have so many to replace them.

From what I've seen first hand they afford their players opportunities to play up for the olders when appropriate, guest for additional touches, guest for player and coaches networking, helping their players get recruited, helping other players get recruited.

In terms of what actual impact or benefits it brings can be argued, but from my perspective they're being advocates for the players across the board and those players pay them back as best they can.

Just one example would be the 05 player who plays for Beach 03 DA. Along with her family they have been very vocal about the support they've received from SoCal Academy and that goes along way when players who look to her and others like her as examples, and they give SoCal Academy the seal of approval.

As a parent of a GK daughter who has guested for literally dozens of clubs / teams over the year for various reasons, I can appreciate a coach and club that supports my DD and is doing the right thing with no guarantees that it will come back to benefit them, other than knowing it benefited the player.

My DD guested and played up for SoCal Academy's 04s when their keeper was hurt, and Esteban was very respectful and supportive of my player. I hope their 06 player takes full advantage of the Discovery Player opportunity with Blues ECNL and hope it works out for both her and SoCal Academy.
Thank you Tech on your kind words. Club is player development first. You should check out our training sessions and Our third day of Technical trainings with EC. Would love your DD to guest play for our 05 Hazell team one day. Have a great season

Back