Albion Cup

Primetime

SILVER ELITE
Some good games in Oceanside this weekend. Blues and Albion went to PK's in the Semis. SLAMMERS ECNL and So Cal Blues in the Finals tomorrow. Both teams looking very strong. Should be a good game tomorrow. Fields at So cal Complex were in excellent condition.

Very impressed with the Slammers team. They did a great job bringing those groups together (CDA and Irvine) to form a really tough group. They played really hard and tough as Salazar teams usually do.

I'm also impressed with the additions that Blues has made. To me they are much better and play a much better soccer style this year. People used to complain about their style but vs Albion they had a very dangerous countering game in which they moved the ball and made nice runs.

Overall some nice depth in this age group. Should be a fun one to watch all season l long. Slammers, Blues, Albion all look close. Surf, Legends and Galaxy remain monsters and I'm sure some other teams will rise to the occasion as the year progresses.

Very impressed with the Slammers team. They did a great job bringing those groups together (CDA and Irvine) to form a really tough group. They played really hard and tough as Salazar teams usually do.

I'm also impressed with the additions that Blues has made. To me they are much better and play a much better soccer style this year. People used to complain about their style but vs Albion they had a very dangerous countering game in which they moved the ball and made nice runs.

Overall some nice depth in this age group. Should be a fun one to watch all season l long. Slammers, Blues, Albion all look close. Surf, Legends and Galaxy remain monsters and I'm sure some other teams will rise to the occasion as the year progresses.
Really curious on the outcome of that final. Wish both teams were playing CRL and DPL. Would have made league tip top.

Blues over Slammers 2-0
We watched blues at legends cup in May (pool play game, not the championship game) and saw the 2nd half of the game today. They were unimpressive to me in the legends cup game (not bad, but just ok). They have clearly figured something out and looked significantly stronger today than a couple of months ago. While the defense is still solid, their little center mid is something special and they have two forwards who are top level (and their big goal scoring striker from last year is still out with the injury from legends cup). This is not the same blues team as last year.

I also think slammers must’ve been missing a couple of players today.

I watched Blues, Albion and Slammers ECNL play this past weekend. Personally, I thought Blues and Albion were evenly matched, tying 2-2 in regulation and then going to pk’s is proof of that. The newly formed Slammers ECNL was also very good but I thought they were a notch below Blues and Albion; however, it's possible that they were missing a few players since they only had one bench player and Blues had a little help upfront the whole weekend, the top scorer from So Cal Academy was guesting with them. I agree with LASTMAN14, wish Blues and Slammers were playing ECNL and DPL. They are both excellent teams.

I watched Blues, Albion and Slammers ECNL play this past weekend. Personally, I thought Blues and Albion were evenly matched, tying 2-2 in regulation and then going to pk’s is proof of that. The newly formed Slammers ECNL was also very good but I thought they were a notch below Blues and Albion; however, it's possible that they were missing a few players since they only had one bench player and Blues had a little help upfront the whole weekend, the top scorer from So Cal Academy was guesting with them. I agree with LASTMAN14, wish Blues and Slammers were playing ECNL and DPL. They are both excellent teams.
Not sure what all the rules are, but I was told that the So Cal Academy girl is on their ecnl roster. Should be a strong front line when the injured forward comes back.

Correction: Wish Blues and Slammers were playing CRL and DPL.

The player being discussed is a discovery player for the Bluee. Might be semantics but I don’t think that’s the same as a guest player.
Not sure what all the rules are, but I was told that the So Cal Academy girl is on their ecnl roster. Should be a strong front line when the injured forward comes back.

As Albion parent on other lower team, I can tell U this:

U might have only watched the Blues/Albion and Blues/Slammers and not the Slammers/Albion. I was able to watch all 3 games. Slammers definately played better versus Albion as game didn’t go to PKs and they were up most of the way though Albion was a tough team. I thought both teams deserve much credit.

As near as I could tell, Slammers only had 11 or 12 all weekend and were tired in the last match. And in the second half, when it went to 2-0, it looked like they tried some different lineups, from what it looked like, as a last effort which also made it look worse but they definately looked better versus Albion. It seemed like they were scrambling more. Still, I have to give credit to both teams.

As near as I could tell, Blues had 18 total including a few girls with taped numbers on the jersey, which to me is a sign that they are not regular members of the team. Blues deserved to win and previous ppl are right that they did look better than they had before with more new/guest players.

Congrats to all three teams for a tournament well played. Just a bit more insight since I was fortunate enough to see all games since we had to stick around and help out/volunteer for my other daughters final.

To clarify, the Blues did not have any guest players this weekend (or any other weekend for that matter). As mentioned before, there was one discovery player who is on the roster. All other players are regular, full time members of the team.

To clarify, the Blues did not have any guest players this weekend (or any other weekend for that matter). As mentioned before, there was one discovery player who is on the roster. All other players are regular, full time members of the team. QUOTE="technicalsoccer, post: 211322, member: 2230"]As Albion parent on other lower team, I can tell U this:

U might have only watched the Blues/Albion and Blues/Slammers and not the Slammers/Albion. I was able to watch all 3 games. Slammers definately played better versus Albion as game didn’t go to PKs and they were up most of the way though Albion was a tough team. I thought both teams deserve much credit.

As near as I could tell, Slammers only had 11 or 12 all weekend and were tired in the last match. And in the second half, when it went to 2-0, it looked like they tried some different lineups, from what it looked like, as a last effort which also made it look worse but they definately looked better versus Albion. It seemed like they were scrambling more. Still, I have to give credit to both teams.

As near as I could tell, Blues had 18 total including a few girls with taped numbers on the jersey, which to me is a sign that they are not regular members of the team. Blues deserved to win and previous ppl are right that they did look better than they had before with more new/guest players.

Congrats to all three teams for a tournament well played. Just a bit more insight since I was fortunate enough to see all games since we had to stick around and help out/volunteer for my other daughters final.
[/QUOTE]
Sincerest apologies, I meant discovery player. Thank you and congrats!

To clarify, the Blues did not have any guest players this weekend (or any other weekend for that matter). As mentioned before, there was one discovery player who is on the roster. All other players are regular, full time members of the team.
What's the difference?

What's the difference?
A Discovery Player in ECNL terms means that, while the player is rostered full-time on a different non-ECNL team, she is also rostered on an ECNL team. That player is not allowed to play any ECNL games for a team other than the one for which she is rostered as a Discovery Player. For ECNL game purposes, it is really no different than anyone else on the roster, except that her participation is subject to outside league game conflicts with her full-time team. These Discovery Players will also often play for their ECNL team at non-ECNL tournaments, as long as their full-time team isn't also playing in that tournament.

A “Discovery Player” is a player that is not a full-time member of the ECNL Member Club to which she is registered, and is an exception to Rule 2.11 above. A Discovery Player may appear on an active roster for a team of a non-ECNL Club, or a non-ECNL Team of another ECNL Member Club. In order to be considered a Discovery Player, a player must be explicitly designated as such on the ECNL Roster before such player participates in any ECNL Competition. Discovery Players are eligible to participate in all ECNL Competitions.
Each ECNL Team may have two (2) Discovery Players on their ECNL Roster at each age group.
Discovery Players may only play for the ECNL Team(s) for which they are rostered as Discovery Players within the ECNL Season.
Discovery Players may come from any distance away from the ECNL Member Club.

A Discovery Player in ECNL terms means that, while the player is rostered full-time on a different non-ECNL team, she is also rostered on an ECNL team. That player is not allowed to play any ECNL games for a team other than the one for which she is rostered as a Discovery Player. For ECNL game purposes, it is really no different than anyone else on the roster, except that her participation is subject to outside league game conflicts with her full-time team. These Discovery Players will also often play for their ECNL team at non-ECNL tournaments, as long as their full-time team isn't also playing in that tournament.

A “Discovery Player” is a player that is not a full-time member of the ECNL Member Club to which she is registered, and is an exception to Rule 2.11 above. A Discovery Player may appear on an active roster for a team of a non-ECNL Club, or a non-ECNL Team of another ECNL Member Club. In order to be considered a Discovery Player, a player must be explicitly designated as such on the ECNL Roster before such player participates in any ECNL Competition. Discovery Players are eligible to participate in all ECNL Competitions.
Each ECNL Team may have two (2) Discovery Players on their ECNL Roster at each age group.
Discovery Players may only play for the ECNL Team(s) for which they are rostered as Discovery Players within the ECNL Season.
Discovery Players may come from any distance away from the ECNL Member Club.

Thanks for the clarification. So to summarize, a guest player is a player from Club A that plays for Club B in some sort of competition. And a discovery player is a player that plays solely for Club A, but subject to the rules above can appear for Team A or Team B within Club A?

Thanks for the clarification. So to summarize, a guest player is a player from Club A that plays for Club B in some sort of competition. And a discovery player is a player that plays solely for Club A, but subject to the rules above can appear for Team A or Team B within Club A?
No, a discovery player is typically playing for a different club as a discovery player. In this particular case, she is on the full-time roster for SoCal Academy and will play for them in SCDSL. She is also on the ECNL roster for Blues Holley and will play in for them in ECNL. For both league games and tournaments, I would suspect her first priority will usually be to SoCal Academy and her second priority will be to Blues, but I suppose the player/coaches could agree on a different priority.

No, a discovery player is typically playing for a different club as a discovery player. In this particular case, she is on the full-time roster for SoCal Academy and will play for them in SCDSL. She is also on the ECNL roster for Blues Holley and will play in for them in ECNL. For both league games and tournaments, I would suspect her first priority will usually be to SoCal Academy and her second priority will be to Blues, but I suppose the player/coaches could agree on a different priority.

Why would SoCal Academy agree to that?

Why would SoCal Academy agree to that?
Just speculating, but maybe he believes this allows him to keep a very good player, but gives her access to supplement her development in what most would consider a higher caliber league. In this particular case, the likelihood of her leaving for blues permanently is at least somewhat reduced by the fact that the drive from Pasadena to Irvine would be pretty horrible. And again, I suspect her first priority will be SoCal Academy if there is ever a conflict, so maybe there isn't a lot of downside for SoCal Academy.

Back