24-0 ?

We re discussing access, not honors. You should be asking whether I allow bad math students into my room.

Poor mathematicians are welcome in my room, and I teach them.

Can you say the same about poor athletes being welcome on school sports fields?
Ok…let me ask this way. Do you let poor math students join the Competitive math team?

Ok…let me ask this way. Do you let poor math students join the Competitive math team?
Better question.

Actually, the answer was yes. Someone else taught the top group. I taught the middle and lower. Bottom group was pure opt-in with no tryouts. All three got the same number of practices.

Better question.

Actually, the answer was yes. Someone else taught the top group. I taught the middle and lower. Bottom group was pure opt-in with no tryouts. All three got the same number of practices.
Familiar format.
So what is the complaint about High School sports again? It’s not inclusive enough for you?

Familiar format.
So what is the complaint about High School sports again? It’s not inclusive enough for you?
Of course it isn't inclusive. Most schools never give a second thought to the kids who don't make the team.

It's the same for competitive math. I wound up coaching the second and third tier because no one else wanted to do it.

Of course it isn't inclusive. Most schools never give a second thought to the kids who don't make the team.

It's the same for competitive math. I wound up coaching the second and third tier because no one else wanted to do it.
So do away with it so your DD (whom I assume plays competitive soccer) doesn’t even have the chance to play?

So do away with it so your DD (whom I assume plays competitive soccer) doesn’t even have the chance to play?
I'm not saying cancel varsity, or even change it.

But, if you have extra kids at tryouts, create something for them, too. Expand JV or divide them into IM teams.

Just to verify. Your talking about AYSO parents whose children are in high school, right?
No, probably not.

The vote happens when it’s time to decide whether to build sports fields at all. When that happens, you’re going to need the intramural and AYSO people on your side. If all those kids quit sports because they fail at trouts, don’t expect their parents to help lobby for stadium lights.
I live adjacent to the place where AYSO was first incepted. By the time any AYSO players is in high school they are the minority anywhere. Therefore parental input from that group is a fraction when compared to club. Even in its home town AYSO is no longer king because they have abused their privilege and the cities/districts they once built relations are now sour. I have had two good friends work for AYSO at its highest levels and they walked away from them with the understanding AYSO is nothing more than a facade.

I live adjacent to the place where AYSO was first incepted. By the time any AYSO players is in high school they are the minority anywhere. Therefore parental input from that group is a fraction when compared to club. Even in its home town AYSO is no longer king because they have abused their privilege and the cities/districts they once built relations are now sour. I have had two good friends work for AYSO at its highest levels and they walked away from them with the understanding AYSO is nothing more than a facade.

Where my kids played, we didn't have an AYSO program, but the local club had a recreational soccer branch that was similar. The rec side usually had about twice as many players as the competitive side and played other teams in the club or nearby rec programs. The numbers really dropped off once the kids got to high school age, however, so Presidio League organized county-wide leagues for those who wanted to continue.

It must be nice to have thousands of students to choose from each year. Little Laguna Beach was moved up to D1 girls soccer this year for some reason that has my head still scratched. Not fair is understatement but life is not always fair. We play with school pride and make no excuses. Our coach recruits hard to find any girl athlete willing to ball for a few months and club is not required. We had a player two years ago that was a star at track and she just played soccer for school spirit and boy was she good. On a side note, I think all private schools should play in their own league and have their own CIF Private School Playoffs. I know many players that get "financial full rides" and then go beat up on public schools and act like their the champs. Ya right, totally unfair and total bullshit, moo!!! Bring it on Goliath....lol....
Laguna Beach is stacked with soccer players. I know coaches personally down there when we played for West Coast ECNL. I would assume public high school should have at least 2K students to qualify for D1 though. Private schools have more $$ to recruit so I wouldn't expect limits there. Again Harvard Westlake state champs last year with 1600 students.

It must be nice to have thousands of students to choose from each year. Little Laguna Beach was moved up to D1 girls soccer this year for some reason that has my head still scratched. Not fair is understatement but life is not always fair. We play with school pride and make no excuses. Our coach recruits hard to find any girl athlete willing to ball for a few months and club is not required. We had a player two years ago that was a star at track and she just played soccer for school spirit and boy was she good. On a side note, I think all private schools should play in their own league and have their own CIF Private School Playoffs. I know many players that get "financial full rides" and then go beat up on public schools and act like their the champs. Ya right, totally unfair and total bullshit, moo!!! Bring it on Goliath....lol....
And I disagree with you (humbly of course) that we should have separate divisions. How many parents thought that girls ECNL should have played girls Academy teams when Academy was so popular a few years ago? Both sides were claiming they were the best and no one ever knew the truth because the admins refused to give in. How stupid was it to have an ECNL champion and an Academy champion? I want to know who is "the" champion across all divisions. Then it means something. You know that if you win D1 CIF, then you are the best across all big schools. I like it.

I'm not saying cancel varsity, or even change it.

But, if you have extra kids at tryouts, create something for them, too. Expand JV or divide them into IM teams.
I agree with you. Our very good D1 high school has 3 teams, Varsity, JV and Frosh/Soph. That alone is about 80 players. I would say the only ones who can't make one of those teams are AYSO players who aren't very good. I don't like leaving players out either but no one would show up (besides the parents) when IM teams play (4th team) when 3 other better teams are playing. Have you even seen the stands when a JV team is playing? It's pathetic.

I agree with you. Our very good D1 high school has 3 teams, Varsity, JV and Frosh/Soph. That alone is about 80 players. I would say the only ones who can't make one of those teams are AYSO players who aren't very good. I don't like leaving players out either but no one would show up (besides the parents) when IM teams play (4th team) when 3 other better teams are playing. Have you even seen the stands when a JV team is playing? It's pathetic.
All true. You won't fill the stands for an IM game.

Bottom tier games are for the players, not the spectators. That's ok. As long as the kids show up, it's worth doing.

Laguna Beach is stacked with soccer players. I know coaches personally down there when we played for West Coast ECNL. I would assume public high school should have at least 2K students to qualify for D1 though. Private schools have more $$ to recruit so I wouldn't expect limits there. Again Harvard Westlake state champs last year with 1600 students.
We have 900 students vs 2500 dude. Its unfair but we can't do anything about it. Someone at CIF headquarters decided because? What qualifies a school of under 1000 and lost in first round in D2 the year before to be rewarded with the big call up to D1? No way we should be in D1 girls soccer and Private school should be in their own league. Come on man, their stacked and pull all over Socal. I still remember when Capo lost Tom Lewis to Mater Dei in hoops. He was one of the first big time steals for GM. If Tom stays at Capo, Capo goes down at the #1 team of all time in OC, moo. Call brothers and the Decasis bros and no one beats that team. Trust me, I had to guard these guys. Tom had a nice touch but he still pissed off the Capo fans and the South OC public vs Private school was started. I'm all for private schools, but not for playoffs with public schools. It's unfair. BTW, Harvard Westlake is really good and a it;s a fantastic school. Awesome fields too. I love that team and super proud of them. Best top to bottom. Marina and CDM D2 and little LB D1? Please........I'm just kidding kind of. We played Newport tonight with 30% of our team sick or injured. It is what it is and wo go out and do the best you can.

Back