24-0 ?

I have a friend who coaches HS soccer. We discussed the topic of blowouts a little while ago. In short, the coach for the winning team will eventually pay for the price for such poor sportsmanship. They all know each other. The have to deal with each other on a regular basis and there will be a time when the coach of the losing team will get his revenge.

I have a friend who coaches HS soccer. We discussed the topic of blowouts a little while ago. In short, the coach for the winning team will eventually pay for the price for such poor sportsmanship. They all know each other. The have to deal with each other on a regular basis and there will be a time when the coach of the losing team will get his revenge.

He might need to move school to achieve that.

My daughter’s HS team won a few games by 7, 8 goals this year. Hated to watch those games. Seems like it never fails that by the tail end of the game the team getting blown out gets really aggravated and things get very chippy.
I had a blow-out boys varsity HS game earlier this week. My partner and I had discussed this possibility before the game and the need to be aware of the temperature of the game as it wore on so we could protect players from chippy play. The game proceeded peacefully with few fouls and no injuries but we were prepared if things had been different.

It is what it is when you have a big mismatch like this. There really isn't a good way to handle it. I personally find it equally insulting when the winning team purposely passed up open shots to keep the score low.

It's all good as long as after each goal, the winning team behave more like Barry Sanders than USWNT vs Thailand in WC.

I have a different perspective on this. Our high school wins most of its games too, some games by 6 or more goals. I have no sympathy for the other schools because they have thousands of students to pick from. This is a coaching issue of not enough recruiting. I used to be a coach and I would spend weekends scouting and recruiting for my teams and always found good players. High school coaches should NOT be coaching if they aren't willing to put out the effort to recruit better. All high schools have good players and a lot of them won't play for crappy teams. So, change the landscape of your high school and start a better program. Note that this theory of mine doesn't apply to small schools of say 1,000 or fewer students where pickings are small. Want a good example, Harvard-westlake with 1600 students is #1 is CA D1. That's damn good recruiting.

I have a different perspective on this. Our high school wins most of its games too, some games by 6 or more goals. I have no sympathy for the other schools because they have thousands of students to pick from. This is a coaching issue of not enough recruiting. I used to be a coach and I would spend weekends scouting and recruiting for my teams and always found good players. High school coaches should NOT be coaching if they aren't willing to put out the effort to recruit better. All high schools have good players and a lot of them won't play for crappy teams. So, change the landscape of your high school and start a better program. Note that this theory of mine doesn't apply to small schools of say 1,000 or fewer students where pickings are small. Want a good example, Harvard-westlake with 1600 students is #1 is CA D1. That's damn good recruiting.
Of course it's illegal for high schools to recruit athletes. One of my players decided to go to a HS with a strong soccer program but that's not the same as active recruitment.

Harvard Westlake is a power magnet. It’s the top feeder school for the ivies in Los Angeles. Has high ranked chess, debate and math teams. Has power teams in numerous sports. The competition though is brutal and unless your kid is ready for the grind I wouldn’t put them there. Other schools typically don’t have the knack and resources to focus on more than one thing. For example mater dei is a bigger football powerhouse than most Texas schools and also does basketball. Cathedral does boys soccer. Sierra canyon basketball.

Of course it's illegal for high schools to recruit athletes. One of my players decided to go to a HS with a strong soccer program but that's not the same as active recruitment.

Many private and religious schools actively recruit for their marquee programs in both academics and athletics by offering financial scholarships (sometimes full rides in the guise of financial aid) and testing waivers. Since soccer isn’t recruited from high school as much you don’t see it as crazy. But the football scene is crazy with schools even arranging free housing for students who have to commute from far away. Cheer is a close second for craziness.

Harvard Westlake is a power magnet. It’s the top feeder school for the ivies in Los Angeles. Has high ranked chess, debate and math teams. Has power teams in numerous sports. The competition though is brutal and unless your kid is ready for the grind I wouldn’t put them there. Other schools typically don’t have the knack and resources to focus on more than one thing. For example mater dei is a bigger football powerhouse than most Texas schools and also does basketball. Cathedral does boys soccer. Sierra canyon basketball.

Many private and religious schools actively recruit for their marquee programs in both academics and athletics by offering financial scholarships (sometimes full rides in the guise of financial aid) and testing waivers. Since soccer isn’t recruited from high school as much you don’t see it as crazy. But the football scene is crazy with schools even arranging free housing for students who have to commute from far away. Cheer is a close second for craziness.

A few years ago Oaks Christian in Thousand Oaks was mentioned in Ventura County newspaper reports when some young football player bragged about his scholarship, apparently not realizing it was supposed to be kept quiet. Football and basketball recruiting makes sense -- I can't see much motive for soccer scholarships, except perhaps for small private schools looking for a gem to brag about.

When I said "recruiting" I meant recruiting from within your own high school. Most high schools have thousands of students of which very good soccer players can be recruited. The top players (at your high school) may need some sweet talking to come out. That is totally legal and what I meant to say above. I never encourage recruiting outside of your high school of which some coaches have been fired over.

When I said "recruiting" I meant recruiting from within your own high school. Most high schools have thousands of students of which very good soccer players can be recruited. The top players (at your high school) may need some sweet talking to come out. That is totally legal and what I meant to say above. I never encourage recruiting outside of your high school of which some coaches have been fired over.

I doubt that would make much difference.

It depends on the purpose of having a school sports program.

If your school is primarily a minor league football team, I get it. Maybe you can play against IMG. Good luck. Hope you send a kid to Alabama.

But if the sports are there for character development, I don't see the point. What are the non-club kids going to think when they show up for tryouts and every slot goes to the club kids you recruited?

I'm only talking soccer here. A varsity soccer team in high school should ONLY have club players. I don't even remember a time when a non-club player made our varsity team, being a D1 team. So, to answer your question. I don't care what non-club kids think. A coach's job should be to recruit(from own high school) the best players period. I would expect a good coach to recruit prior to tryouts though so that you get the best of the best at tryouts. So, the non-club kids would know pretty quick that they're not cut out for this team and perhaps make the JV team. If it were late in the season, I agree, this to be unfair to the other kids but that's what I'm saying here.

Back