2019 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!!

First off, this is my first year getting into woman's college soccer. I was cocky the last two years thinking my kid was going to skip all this and go make million$ playing overseas....lol. I must say this is way cool and very exciting :)

I think I figured out what's going on. It's not that crazy.
From Coach AC, “I think we need to start better,” said coach Amanda Cromwell. “We had a really sluggish, slow first half, and we continue to give up soft goals. Other teams just seem to care more right now as far as their effort and their presence.”

Also, UCLA recruits all the top players around the world (kind of sucks for the local talent in Cali and the USA). Against Arizona this year, my Bruins were without Micah and Fleming, as well as freshman midfielder Rachel Lowe – all three players received calls up to their respective national teams. Not easy to lose GK and CM. If UCLA can just care more they will take it all the way to the promise land. That attitude can be changed and I believe it will. However, time is running out. How many more loses can UCLA afford to lose and still make the playoffs?
Wow EJ some good info. I did not know that they were missing players. But the problem I have with that excuse is that their bench can beat most National Teams. Cromwell should be developing her players and therefore her team as a whole. You can’t win a National Championship with just 11 players. A great coach is able to adapt to hurt/missing players. To me that excuse is just plain poor sportsmanship.

Oregon 2
Colorado 2

Colorado was ahead 2-0 at home, Ducks showed some grit and came back.

Washington 1
Cal 0

Washington has some key pieces and may surprise some who aren’t ready to go.

Oregon State 1
Utah 1

USC 2
Arizona State 1

Good road win, take it and get outta town.

Arizona 3
UCLA 0

Not sure what happened here, missed this one... I know a couple players were out, but the depth they have and talent that still remained on the pitch makes for a bit of a head scratcher here

Stanford 5
Washington State 0

Cardinal clinical in sending WSU away after Cougars coming in looking to make a statement.

First off, this is my first year getting into woman's college soccer. I was cocky the last two years thinking my kid was going to skip all this and go make million$ playing overseas....lol. I must say this is way cool and very exciting :)

I think I figured out what's going on. It's not that crazy.
From Coach AC, “I think we need to start better,” said coach Amanda Cromwell. “We had a really sluggish, slow first half, and we continue to give up soft goals. Other teams just seem to care more right now as far as their effort and their presence.”

Also, UCLA recruits all the top players around the world (kind of sucks for the local talent in Cali and the USA). Against Arizona this year, my Bruins were without Micah and Fleming, as well as freshman midfielder Rachel Lowe – all three players received calls up to their respective national teams. Not easy to lose GK and CM. If UCLA can just care more they will take it all the way to the promise land. That attitude can be changed and I believe it will. However, time is running out. How many more loses can UCLA afford to lose and still make the playoffs?
All excellent points. I know you said it, as did others, but it cannot be stated enough. The depth of UCLA’s bench is staggering. I get it isn’t as simple as that as players need time to get to know each other on the field, build chemistry, etc. but good night! There are a lot of teams out there who would kill to have some of UCLA’s bench players as their starters.

Will be interesting to see how the team bounces back on Sunday.

Cal was definitely on the back foot most of the game but should've scored quite a few times...., but then again so should've UW. Cal was never first to the ball or even second ball and hence the outcome. Unless they come out fired up to play like they did UCLA, then these are the results.

Cal was definitely on the back foot most of the game but should've scored quite a few times...., but then again so should've UW. Cal was never first to the ball or even second ball and hence the outcome. Unless they come out fired up to play like they did UCLA, then these are the results.

I was really bummed to miss that game (I live close). Great win for retiring UW coach, Lesle Gallimore, a real pioneer in the women's game (who, while an undergrad at Cal, pretty much started that program).

Watched CU vs OU. CU was clearly the better team and had ample opportunities to put that game away including in OT. They played a lot of subs and got punished when they were in and it probably cost them the W. Watched part of the Stanford vs WSU and in the first 10-15 minutes i thought it was going to be a good game but after the first 10-15 as Turf said it was a clinic, turned it off in second half. Did anyone see the UCLA vs UA game. Did UA outplay UCLA or was it just a weird, every shot that UA took went in?

What an insane night of women’s college soccer. I did not see any of the games but really 3-0 UCLA losing. Can someone explain what happened? My 12 year old niece said in the UW CAL game it just looked like Cal was not even trying. And Fullerton Davis 4-0? No disrespect to Outside but was it suppose to be that lopsided?

Fullerton is way better than Davis. This result is no surprise.

Against Arizona this year, my Bruins were without Micah and Fleming, as well as freshman midfielder Rachel Lowe – all three players received calls up to their respective national teams. Not easy to lose GK and CM.

Their backup keeper is just as good as their starter, IMHO, if not stronger in some areas. Further, while missing Fleming is a bummer, they have enough strong midfielders to make up for her missing.

One the other hand, I bet AC is kicking herself for not making a better offer to JT on Arizona ;-)

Their backup keeper is just as good as their starter, IMHO, if not stronger in some areas. Further, while missing Fleming is a bummer, they have enough strong midfielders to make up for her missing.

One the other hand, I bet AC is kicking herself for not making a better offer to JT on Arizona ;-)
The #1 job for a coach IMHO is to get the team fired up and to care about playing the game we all love to watch. Only one way to do get that message across. If I was coach and I saw some not care, they would find the bench quickly. No excuses for UCLA!!!!

Fullerton is way better than Davis. This result is no surprise.
I guess you’re right. I thought I saw some fire in the SF State game. Wishful thinking since I am a huge fan of Hamm. I’ll give her a few years but by then I am sure someone else will snatch her up.

Not having Fleming hurts, but that shouldn’t matter against teams like Arizona as pretty much all the bench players for UCLA could start for Arizona.

The #1 job for a coach IMHO is to get the team fired up and to care about playing the game we all love to watch. Only one way to do get that message across. If I was coach and I saw some not care, they would find the bench quickly. No excuses for UCLA!!!!
If certain players aren’t getting it done, put in other players. Keeps everybody working their hardest.

Back