2019 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!!

Not true. Please rewatch the game.

I stand by my statement. MAP, you don't have a striker people fear. Mace was feared. Ashley Sanchez and Jesse Flemming are offensive mids. Everyone else is just ok offensively. People feared Darian Jenkins and Halle Mace, it's too bad because the rest of the team is nice. They're 2-3-1 over the last 6 games for a reason. It's not a one off.

I am slow to the game. Who is MAPs daughter?
The better question is who is Map. I had no idea until the other day. I PM him apologizing for my past rants. My mom and I had a tradition for about 10 years before she passed away. We watched the USC vs UCLA football game always right around my birthday, 11/19. I hated USC :( A little mom love. 12 kids, 4 her own, 6 adopted from birth with special needs and two foster kids whose parents died in a car crash. I'm the freaking youngest. My mom was Mother of the year for the Rev. Schuler who had all the crystals (not the nicest guy btw, but whatever...) Anyway, 1996 I believe was the greatest come back game my heart has witnessed when UCLA came back to win and spank USC. I let my mom have it for a whole year. MAP is 100% a baller and so is his daughter. We all got carried away and we all just need to chill out and keep the smack talk civil. I hope you all see I'm trying to do better. I'm not perfect either. Go UCLA, Fight, Fight Fight!!! BTW, when my mom passed away, I decided to honor USC if UCLA choked in basketball or football. Pete Carroll happen to show up and I really did love SC Football. My friends for at least a month thought I was joking and fooling around. Nope, I decided to honor my mom. Go Pac 12 in Girls soccer, but if Pac 12 loses, I will root for any west coast team. Enjoy the weekend folks and let's not forget it's only a soccer game :)

The #1 job for a coach IMHO is to get the team fired up and to care about playing the game we all love to watch. Only one way to do get that message across. If I was coach and I saw some not care, they would find the bench quickly. No excuses for UCLA!!!!

Exactly. If "other teams seem to care more" then maybe you need to either look at yourself, your players, or both. If you have players who "don't seem to care", then put in players who do--use your bench, I guarantee you those girls care about playing. I don't buy that the UCLA players don't care, BTW, that sort of thing usually means something else is going on such as low morale. Hopefully, UCLA gets their mojo back because I like watching them play. I'm sure they will.

Exactly. If "other teams seem to care more" then maybe you need to either look at yourself, your players, or both. If you have players who "don't seem to care", then put in players who do--use your bench, I guarantee you those girls care about playing. I don't buy that the UCLA players don't care, BTW, that sort of thing usually means something else is going on such as low morale. Hopefully, UCLA gets their mojo back because I like watching them play. I'm sure they will.
Great point. I re-read that quote and I have more questions now than answers.

Agreed Cromwell needs a few beasts that teams have to account for. UCLA has some great players but many are similar. Where the 6’0 speedster who can run under 5 seconds in the 40?

I think it’s pretty clear @gkrent indicated that Arizona DID get outplayed...
I didn’t watch the game and UCLA certainly could have had better possession, but the stats don’t really support them dominating.

Arizona- 12 shots, 7 on goal, 2 corners and 7 fouls.
UCLA- 11 shots, 5 on goal, 5 corners and 7 fouls.

If UCLA had more possession, they were not able to turn it into opportunities. Possession with a purpose is a phrase that comes to mind. Counter this with the Cal game where UCLA had double the shots and corner kicks and Cal had more fouls— that sounds like a game that UCLA clearly dominated.

Agreed Cromwell needs a few beasts that teams have to account for. UCLA has some great players but many are similar. Where the 6’0 speedster who can run under 5 seconds in the 40?

They weren’t missing Mia Fishel for any of the games they lost: national team player/ forward, why are teams not having to account for that beast on the field?

They weren’t missing Mia Fishel for any of the games they lost: national team player/ forward, why are teams not having to account for that beast on the field?
My dd watched her practice at her old club and she works harder than anyone I have witnessed at practice. She plays just as hard in the game. She needs a shot, now!!!! #playmianow!!!!!

In terms of JF - does anyone think her game is off a bit this season? If anyone has watched several of the games would be curious about thoughts on that. Doesn’t seem to be having the same dangerous impact as in the past and have seen her have a few emotional reactions in the games (like kicking the upright once after missing a shot)

My dd watched her practice at her old club and she works harder than anyone I have witnessed at practice. She plays just as hard in the game. She needs a shot, now!!!! #playmianow!!!!!
She has had a shot - has played 10 games and started all 10 of them. Again, a reminder that NCAA college soccer is where the true merit of a players starts to rise above the other imbalances (sketchy competition in different leagues, favoritism in YNT selections etc). She is a strong player but with her history would have expected more impact in these games

She has had a shot - has played 10 games and started all 10 of them. Again, a reminder that NCAA college soccer is where the true merit of a players starts to rise above the other imbalances (sketchy competition in different leagues, favoritism in YNT selections etc). She is a strong player but with her history would have expected more impact in these games
There you go. I can't find box scores. So she has been playing? I though AS was forward. My bad :)

Just go to the UCLA soccer schedule and under each result there is a link to the box scores for each game - you can also click on individual stats for each player

AS is another player that doesn’t seem quite the same power house as last year - also listed as a forward but only 3 goals in 10 games played and started

Just go to the UCLA soccer schedule and under each result there is a link to the box scores for each game - you can also click on individual stats for each player
Thanks. I'm used to basketball stats. So AS and Mia start up top? What formation does UCLA play?

Thanks. I'm used to basketball stats. So AS and Mia start up top? What formation does UCLA play?
I see the info now. Something happened after that Santa Clara game. She is only a freshman so she has lot's of room for getting better. She is very good player. AS is a big surprise as well.

safe_image.php

In terms of JF - does anyone think her game is off a bit this season? If anyone has watched several of the games would be curious about thoughts on that. Doesn’t seem to be having the same dangerous impact as in the past and have seen her have a few emotional reactions in the games (like kicking the upright once after missing a shot)
I think she’s a solid player. But, I also think she has been way over hyped and one of the most overrated players out there.

UCLA and Penn State are two examples of one of my biggest pet peeves and that is all the emphasis on recruiting YNT players based on that fact alone. I don't mean that comment to imply those with YNT experience aren't talented, but are they the player that particular team needs at that time? Do they fill in gaps or are they carbon copies of another YNT player on the team? Take a look at some of the players that have been overlooked by YNT. Rose Lavelle and Haily Mace are 2 that immediately come to mind. Both didn't get called up until US Soccer saw them play in college (and kudos to the college coaches, including AC of UCLA, for seeing their talent). With all the thousands of girls out there playing soccer, you can't tell me that those on the youth YNT are head over heels better than everyone else. Again, I don't mean that as any dig on the YNT players as they would not have made it that far without being exceptional. But there are a ton of exceptional players without YNT on their resume too. As I've written before, look for the right players, not the most lauded players.

Back