2018 USYS Cal South National Cup Olders - Boys 2003/15U

What I like about TFA is they have technical players that run a system and while they have some big physical players they don’t rely on that. Great win !
How can you call that game a great win? I've seen most of those boys play over the years. This bootball shit isn't what we've invested so much in, hoping our boys could learn the beautiful game.
Ask yourselves, winning or losing dads: How many times did your son touch the ball, and what did he do with it?

How can you call that game a great win? I've seen most of those boys play over the years. This bootball shit isn't what we've invested so much in, hoping our boys could learn the beautiful game.
Ask yourselves, winning or losing dads: How many times did your son touch the ball, and what did he do with it?
I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Who is "We've invested so much in"?

Dam! Have to agree with ray8 I watched 25 minutes of final and had to turn it off, next year my son will probably have to return to csl/scdsl afters two years with da team and I was not impressed. I couldn't believe the coach from sidelines constant instruction on where to be, who to mark, when to boot ball up field etc,. I have been to important games on my sons team where neither coach stood up except to shake opposing teams hands. The approach is always to let them figure it out, let them solve the game and make the adjustments. Its true a lot of da teams don't have all the top talent and i did see some kids who definitely could make the starting rotation on most of the teams but quality of play left alot to be desired.

Dam! Have to agree with ray8 I watched 25 minutes of final and had to turn it off, next year my son will probably have to return to csl/scdsl afters two years with da team and I was not impressed. I couldn't believe the coach from sidelines constant instruction on where to be, who to mark, when to boot ball up field etc,. I have been to important games on my sons team where neither coach stood up except to shake opposing teams hands. The approach is always to let them figure it out, let them solve the game and make the adjustments. Its true a lot of da teams don't have all the top talent and i did see some kids who definitely could make the starting rotation on most of the teams but quality of play left alot to be desired.
Question is what team were you with for 2yrs?

What Ray is trying to say is they weren't playing a system where goals are manufactured thru a series of well timed passes. Look at TFAs last 2 goals....
1) Bomb kick from the back to a packed penalty box and guy kicks it thru tons of traffic into the net and
2) LAUFA kicks a high % scoring chance free kick (from just outside the penalty box) super wide and TFA counters with a long clearing pass to 2 wide open players who strolled in from the 40 yard line uncontested and literally walked the ball into the net.
Guess a goal is a goal but these are the type of goals that Ray is referring to above....

Last edited:

I was not at the game, but a National cup win is a great win and a final is a final.

I heard this nugget from one of the Kleiban's and is sums it up for me(paraphrased)-

If your with a DA program and training 4 days a week the coach better be sitting and let the boys play
he stated that he has no issue at all with coaches coaching from the sidelines with only 2 days of practice a week.

Huge difference the DA kids have double the practice, film, etc.

No coach should be coaching on the ball but maintaining shape and tactical ques are more than Ok with those teams with limited training opportunities

With the being said the TFA coach is a show on the sideline

What Ray is trying to say is they weren't playing a system where goals are manufactured thru a series of well timed passes. Look at TFAs last 2 goals....
1) Bomb kick from the back to a packed penalty box and guy kicks it thru tons of traffic and
2) LAUFA kicks a high % scoring chance free kick (from just outside the penalty box) super wide and TFA counters with a long clearing pass to 2 wide open players who strolled in from the 40 yard line uncontested and literally walked the ball into the net.
Guess a goal is a goal but these are the type of goals that Ray is referring to above....

The TFA 03 team has been known to resort to the long counter late in the national cup tournament over the past couple of years

Funny you should mention a Coach needs to be quiet during the game.... I witnessed Coach Jimmy from Boca 02s today playing the Vargas ECNL Slammers team. This Jimmy is a piece of work. He is constantly yelling at his players - positioning, passing, who to mark etc... It's quite interesting to watch considering this is a high level team (National Champs about a year ago). Jimmy does have a track record of success using this style so I guess it's up to you (the parent) to decide if you are comfortable with this sort of Coaching .

Last edited:
Funny you should mention a Coach needs to be quiet during the game.... I witnessed Coach Jimmy from Boca 02s today playing the Vargas ECNL Slammers team. This Jimmy is a piece of work. He is constantly yelling at his players - positioning, passing, who to mark etc... It's quite comical considering this is a high level team (National Champs about a year ago). I was cringing for the players but I guess their used to his 'style' of coaching. Jimmy does have a track record of success using this style so I guess it's up to you (the parent) to decide if you are comfortable with this sort of Coaching .
And what team is Ray with, Mr. Mouthpiece?

Have to agree, watched second half on youtube, never saw either GK play it out of the back. In fact, there were several boots from on to the other. TFA has really taken flopping to an art form. While not that uncommon, it somewhat lessens a Nation Cup win. The audio track of the game was beautiful, the coaches should really be proud of themselves.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Who is "We've invested so much in"?
Time, money, hopes. I'll add sacrifices as well.
So yes, we've invested too much to let our ignorance of the game allow to allow us to be taken advantage of. That style of play does nothing but get the W.

Have to agree, watched second half on youtube, never saw either GK play it out of the back. In fact, there were several boots from on to the other. TFA has really taken flopping to an art form. While not that uncommon, it somewhat lessens a Nation Cup win. The audio track of the game was beautiful, the coaches should really be proud of themselves.

I had more fun listening to the coaches than watching the game. The ball was zipping from one end to the other I couldn't keep up.

Agree. I watched online and was disappointed to see such bad soccer. TFA was always miles ahead soccer wise...zipping the ball around, tons is passes, thoughtful play. I don’t think I saw either team string together 4-5 passes more than a couple of times.
Long punts win the ball one touch long pass. Everything is a physical confrontation, no soccer sense to keep the ball, get out of trouble. Etc etc.
Was really surprising.

Time, money, hopes. I'll add sacrifices as well.
So yes, we've invested too much to let our ignorance of the game allow to allow us to be taken advantage of. That style of play does nothing but get the W.
What's your next step?

Interesting to see these comments. So does long ball and physicality get results compared to passing and possession style of play?

The fact is both systems exist in the pro's and at national country levels.

Interesting to see these comments. So does long ball and physicality get results compared to passing and possession style of play?

The fact is both systems exist in the pro's and at national country levels.
yes but to see that at this age show bad coaching and no development for those kids. do you think the professional using there physicality always played like that. that is old US soccer style. some coaches are learning from the mistake from the past and trying to do better. there is no reason they should be playing ugly soccer at this age.

Having PatsLA in the conversation.

As I have said before, it was just a small team trying to get better to compete with the big boys. We have gone from Europa Div, to mid-table SCDSL Champions Div, to
top 3 Champs Div to National Cup Semis. Kids are getting there, coaching is getting there, experience is coming.

Back