2018 D1 Women's Soccer Talk!!

SF is looking strong this year. A couple of my kid’s former club teammates play for them and they are legit. Their true test (and everybody else’s in the WCC) will be Santa Clara.

Three years ago, SF was poised to win the conference title. They had beat perennial powerhouse BYU and I think only had to beat Pacific and they CHOKED big time.
Long season.

SF is looking strong this year. A couple of my kid’s former club teammates play for them and they are legit. Their true test (and everybody else’s in the WCC) will be Santa Clara.

Three years ago, SF was poised to win the conference title. They had beat perennial powerhouse BYU and I think only had to beat Pacific and they CHOKED big time.
And last year pacific kicked them in the mouth again beating them 5-3.

Yes I was at those games. They beat BYU at home when they still had the "beer garden" and that was quite the match. I had a dog in the race there during that great run they had, and that dog is now the assistant coach :)

Yes I was at those games. They beat BYU at home when they still had the "beer garden" and that was quite the match. I had a dog in the race there during that great run they had, and that dog is now the assistant coach :)
How was your daughter's experience there? It's a program you don't hear that much about, in terms of the student athlete perspective. Any insights you can provide?

Cal is one of the most consistent teams in the Pac-12 in terms of NCAA tournament appearances I think 13 consecutive (not even USC who have won 2 nattys are that consistent).

From there to climbing out of the first weekend is the issue.

Since I’m playing hooky today. I took a pit stop break in route the Westwood watering hole and looked up Cals results in the playoff....Getting to the dance nice and all......But objectively speaking, they’ve got nothing to show for it.

Think about it.....Given Cals proximity to the fertile soccer grounds of Socal Talent (where our players pepper the nations top soccer & academic schools) and the attractiveness of a pedigree education (in same circles of UCLA/Stanford) here on the West Coast.

Being knocked off in the first round.....year after year doesn’t seem right. They should be pound for pound in step with ucla/standford. But their results show that they are not.

So my question is why?...... It just doesn’t add up.

Since I’m playing hooky today. I took a pit stop break in route the Westwood watering hole and looked up Cals results in the playoff....Getting to the dance nice and all......But objectively speaking, they’ve got nothing to show for it.

Think about it.....Given Cals proximity to the fertile soccer grounds of Socal Talent (where our players pepper the nations top soccer & academic schools) and the attractiveness of a pedigree education (in same circles of UCLA/Stanford) here on the West Coast.

Being knocked off in the first round.....year after year doesn’t seem right. They should be pound for pound in step with ucla/standford. But their results show that they are not.

So my question is why?...... It just doesn’t add up.

I also recall back in the day they had an impressive run with recruiting, but then *many* of these girls de-committed (2017 grad year)!

How was your daughter's experience there? It's a program you don't hear that much about, in terms of the student athlete perspective. Any insights you can provide?

Not my DD but close. She loved it. I went with her on her official visit and it was hands down the best overall choice out of the visits she had been on. Great private Jesuit education with small class sizes, cool, compact campus, really nice athletic facilities, one of the coolest graduations I've ever attended, not to mention it is really fun to attend home games in one of the greatest food cities in the world. She's assistant coach now and loves living in the city. Two of my Pepp player's club teammates are there now and enjoying it as well. Coach is tough, but aren't they all?

Last edited:
I also recall back in the day they had an impressive run with recruiting, but then *many* of these girls de-committed (2017 grad year)!

That’s right....I actually forgot about that discussion from the old forum. Didn’t Cat, Doyle and a few other top tier players switch gears?

Not my DD but close. She loved it. I went with her on her official visit and it was hands down the best overall choice out of the visits she had been on. Great private Jesuit education with small class sizes, cool, compact campus, really nice athletic facilities, one of the coolest graduations I've ever attended, not to mention it is really fun to attend home games in one of the greatest food cities in the world. She's assistant coach now and loves living in the city. Two of my Pepp player's club teammates are there now and enjoying it as well. Coach is tough, but aren't they all?
Gotcha. Thank you for the feedback.

Thanks @surfrider . She is medically cleared to play but using these last couple weeks to transition back into the speed and physicality of play. UCLA is a definite “NO”. She wanted this game to be her comeback game so badly but her mom and I are happy about it. Seen a couple players that compensate for their lack of speed/skill by resorting to goonish tactics. And no I am NOT referring to #5.

St. John’s is most likely out as well as the coaches and training staff would like to give her another week. SDSU/Irvine weekend is looking more promising. Even then, her role initially will be very limited as I think they want her to be ready for conference play.

It’s been a long hard road for her but she’s worked her tail off and is chomping at the bit to get back on the pitch with her teammates and contribute. Looking forward to a longer, injury free season this time around.

I wouldn’t have thought that you were referring to her. She hasn’t committed a foul all season and has only gotten one yellow card in her entire soccer career and that was against Stanford her freshman year.

I am excited that she is back. I think that she is just what the doctor ordered for Pepperdine.

I wouldn’t have thought that you were referring to her. She hasn’t committed a foul all season and has only gotten one yellow card in her entire soccer career and that was against Stanford her freshman year.

I am excited that she is back. I think that she is just what the doctor ordered for Pepperdine.

Word is you have another keeper getting her 1st start today?

Back