2018 D1 Women's Soccer Talk!!

You gotta admit Penn State is a pretty decent side. But seriously tho... what's up with their keeper? She was not playing very smart.

They're a very good side - keeper had a game where she'd probably like a couple moments back, as would their cb, but they'll notch those lessons and move forward. Ucla looks real good, misses Mace and the havoc she creates, but similarly will be better in the long run having these tough games early in their schedule. Was a Fun game to watch.

You gotta admit Penn State is a pretty decent side. But seriously tho... what's up with their keeper? She was not playing very smart.

They are more than a decent side. UCLA is just better even without two first team All-Americans and full WNT players.

If I haven’t said it before I will say it again at the highest levels the best keepers have excellent feet. The two best keepers with their feet in college soccer right now are UCLA and Florida’s keepers without question. There are plenty of good shot stoppers but in order to control a game with possession you need a keeper with great foot skills.

Fast fact UCLA was only outpossessed once all year and that was in the national championship game. It was close too. Stanford was only outpossessed once and it was the first game against UCLA. Both excellent sides. They are a lot closer in ability than many believe...

They're a very good side - keeper had a game where she'd probably like a couple moments back, as would their cb, but they'll notch those lessons and move forward. Ucla looks real good, misses Mace and the havoc she creates, but similarly will be better in the long run having these tough games early in their schedule. Was a Fun game to watch.

Just imagine if they had Pugh too.

Just imagine if they had Pugh too.
Yeah... Pugh would be dope to watch at UCLA. I think that would put them over the top of Stanford. Even without her, it will be great to watch Stanford UCLA match up. I did really enjoy watching the Penn State game. Excellent to have that match up so early on.

The commentators in the Stanford game kept comparing Sophia Smith to Pugh. Ignoring what Pugh has done since her 18th birthday, what do you think of the comparison at this stage?

She is similar but from what I have seen less technical than Pugh. I think playing with the technical Stanford attack will help develop more layers to her game. Dibiasi is a soccer genius and Cat is so clever with the ball. McGrady creates opportunities. She will have a chance to improve immensely if she takes it.

Stanford is much better than the U20 team...

Or SDSU and USD.
The sad thing about this, being a SD Homer myself, is that these are great institutions. Very desirable accross the country, as well as for hundreds of local talent every year. Yet, both absolutely suck at recruiting. Lieberman needs a couple years to right the ever sinking ship that Greenwood left listing in the bay. But Friesen??? If he’s as good a coach as I’ve been told, or read, he needs to step in and handle it. The peeps he’s relying on now, haven’t a clue. JMO

The sad thing about this, being a SD Homer myself, is that these are great institutions. Very desirable accross the country, as well as for hundreds of local talent every year. Yet, both absolutely suck at recruiting. Lieberman needs a couple years to right the ever sinking ship that Greenwood left listing in the bay. But Friesen??? If he’s as good a coach as I’ve been told, or read, he needs to step in and handle it. The peeps he’s relying on now, haven’t a clue. JMO

Hmm I don’t know about that. We were regular attendees a few seasons ago and they rolled folks. They had studs. They had Pruitt who left for usc and another kid in national pool who also left. For most midmajors losing key kids like that takes a toll and leaves holes. But their talent was on par with anyone back when I was a regular. I went last week and they are young but talented. And they put the ball down and play which is fun for me as a fan but i get that’s a preference thing. Great school for sure. So hard to get in to now! I remember when it was everyone’s safety school and now all I hear is “I can’t get in!” Lol.

Tough game for Pepperdine.

I’ve begun drinking to kill the pain so I apologize for not making sense. I’ve summarized the blessings (as I recounted to Ricky today):

It wasn’t hot
No one was significantly hurt
It’s still early
My kid played some and didn’t get scored on (the last 20 minutes)
I saw a lot of high potential pieces to puzzle today...just need to put them together now

This hurt RPI bad and we should focus on winning the conference at this point (credit for this thought goes to Ricky)

I’ve begun drinking to kill the pain so I apologize for not making sense. I’ve summarized the blessings (as I recounted to Ricky today):

It wasn’t hot
It’s still early
I saw a lot of high potential pieces to puzzle today...just need to put them together now

This hurt RPI bad and we should focus on winning the conference at this point (credit for this thought goes to Ricky)

A loss to a top 5 team won’t hurt it will actually do the opposite. Now you know what you need to work on. Plenty of season left to play. Your ladies just need to take it one game at a time.

It wasn’t hot
It’s still early

GK, your girl is doing fine but I get it. I don’t envy any parent who’s kid is a keeper. Unjustifiably, too much light on keepers. Agree there are some glimmers of hope. Saw some flashes of brilliance from some players today. Was impressed with the true freshman on the back line in the first half. Good composure on a ball near goal. It will come together. Gotta win in the middle and keep putting combos together up top.

GK, your girl is doing fine but I get it. I don’t envy any parent who’s kid is a keeper. Unjustifiably, too much light on keepers. Agree there are some glimmers of hope. Saw some flashes of brilliance from some players today. Was impressed with the true freshman on the back line in the first half. Good composure on a ball near goal. It will come together. Gotta win in the middle and keep putting combos together up top.
I imagine your kid being a keeper is like having your kid be a pitcher, my son was a pitcher, you live and die on every pitch.
Lot of pressure on the parents.

Back