2018 D1 Women's Soccer Talk!!

Has anyone heard or know of any players that walk on to a team but end up earning a scholarship? How hard is this to achieve for a young athlete?

Yikes... them some long odds.

At least if I understand your question correctly... you're asking if someone ever comes onto the team as the weakest players and in four years turns into one of the best? Yes of course it happens, but it's a low probability bet. Heck when you get down too it, playing time and traveling with the team is going to be a low probability bet.

If playing games on the soccer team is important to the decision making process, it's probably better to look at a different school? Just my two cents-

Has anyone heard or know of any players that walk on to a team but end up earning a scholarship? How hard is this to achieve for a young athlete?

I feel for you, my dd is kind of in this boat, has some money on the table but got hurt needing knee surgery and now is expected to show up this spring to see where she fits. I'd hate to have mine get redshirted but it could happen. In your case having relationships with coaches and getting a spot as a preferred walk on is a great start. I have to wonder either way how the player who did not officially surface on signing day on the schools twitter feed or College Team page will be treated by potential team mates in the fall. Mine is still working through what she wants to do.

I feel for you, my dd is kind of in this boat, has some money on the table but got hurt needing knee surgery and now is expected to show up this spring to see where she fits. I'd hate to have mine get redshirted but it could happen. In your case having relationships with coaches and getting a spot as a preferred walk on is a great start. I have to wonder either way how the player who did not officially surface on signing day on the schools twitter feed or College Team page will be treated by potential team mates in the fall. Mine is still working through what she wants to do.

I hear ya Win...The struggle is Real, Or is it?... Redshirting may not be so bad in light of your dd's recovery. Moreover, The fact that your dd is 1) on the coaches radar and 2) has $$ on the table is more than many other hopefuls have.

All your girl can do is controll what she can controll, just have her focus on her goal, from a realistic perspective, one practice, one training, one game at a time :)

Yikes... them some long odds.

At least if I understand your question correctly... you're asking if someone ever comes onto the team as the weakest players and in four years turns into one of the best? Yes of course it happens, but it's a low probability bet. Heck when you get down too it, playing time and traveling with the team is going to be a low probability bet.

If playing games on the soccer team is important to the decision making process, it's probably better to look at a different school? Just my two cents-
I'm not sure she would be the weakest player. She just started the process late and the money is already allocated. She has been told she can earn money, so I wondered if anyone has had this experience with their daughter.

I'm not sure she would be the weakest player. She just started the process late and the money is already allocated. She has been told she can earn money, so I wondered if anyone has had this experience with their daughter.

One of my players was recruited December of her senior year, and yes, she started the first year with a small amount money at a private school because there wasn't much left in the budget (so she wasn't a walk on), but earned a lot more money by hard work and becoming one of the most valuable players on the field. She ended up getting about 75% of her education paid for.

Interesting word our of Stanford. Expect a few starters to no longer be on the roster come August.... Just remember senior day.....

One of my players was recruited December of her senior year, and yes, she started the first year with a small amount money at a private school because there wasn't much left in the budget (so she wasn't a walk on), but earned a lot more money by hard work and becoming one of the most valuable players on the field. She ended up getting about 75% of her education paid for.
That is incredible! Congrats to your daughter on her hard work paying off. Glad to know it can happen in the right circumstances!

Can you elaborate?

I am curious as to how their lineup is going to look with some of the players with eligibility that will not be returning. They will still be head and shoulders above every other team except one. Smith will slide into the lineup nicely at the 9 or 11. The real question is who will play the 8 the 6 and most importantly the 4. Xiao and Davidson will play two of those positions. Will Girma or Hiatt see the field? Not if Davidson plays the 4 again although the 6 is her natural position which would put Boss at the 6 and push Xiao up to the 7 (and Cat to the 9 or 11).

Honestly they have first world problems that only UCLA and North Carolina are probably really concerned with. To everyone else they are just as dominant as usual.

There is nothing ever bad about redshirting. Extends scholarship, preserves eligibility and allows for growth and development.

I would check with the coach about whether it extends the player's scholarship. With the PAC 12 and Big Ten guaranteeing 4 year scholarships usually the 5th year has very specific language about the amount guaranteed and I know in my player's case it is a significant reduction were she for some reason to redshirt and play a 5th year. A particular PAC 12 school loses 5th year players every year that have remaining eligibility and they often transfer elsewhere and star and this includes starters and all-conference players.

I would check with the coach about whether it extends the player's scholarship. With the PAC 12 and Big Ten guaranteeing 4 year scholarships usually the 5th year has very specific language about the amount guaranteed and I know in my player's case it is a significant reduction were she for some reason to redshirt and play a 5th year. A particular PAC 12 school loses 5th year players every year that have remaining eligibility and they often transfer elsewhere and star and this includes starters and all-conference players.

Agree. I should have been clear — if a coach confirms your player is redshirting and scholarship is extended.

I hear that $C beat UCI 2-1 today in the spring. Not a bad result for either team considering DeMelo and another starter were gone with the U20's for $C. I also heard that Jacobs is playing centerback with Prisock. Personally I think that she is a better forward but selfishly I want her to play defense.

I also hear that Penn St. beat Sky Blue FC from the NWSL yesterday 1-0. That might signal Penn St being a College Cup contender this season (assuming they can avoid Stanford this time).

Just read an article saying the NCAA is recommending time of play be kept on the field by officials next season. Thoughts? It’s in line with FIFA but the officiating is so poor already. Do we want to give them the power to impact the game that much more? On the flip side it will reduce the opportunities for players to kick a ball out of the stadium with 30 seconds left

Back