2005 DA Standings

RSL U-15's for next year will be playing in DA. It hasn't been announced yet but they were awarded a spot in DA for U-15. They will be in the Southwest Division. They will be in-residence in Utah.

Makes sense. Should be interesting to see what kind of team they put together. They definitely have first class facilities!

Wow. Sounds like Surf is imploding.
I wouldn't call it imploding. I would call it more of a natural progression. Surf's 05s had a lot of players who want to be on a professional track. Pay to play, non-MLS, clubs like Surf are primarily a college track and there is no professional track available in San Diego.

I wouldn't call it imploding. I would call it more of a natural progression. Surf's 05s had a lot of players who want to be on a professional track. Pay to play, non-MLS, clubs like Surf are primarily a college track and there is no professional track available in San Diego.

I completely agree. The one thing killing Surf is not having a pathway to the pros. Everything else is outstanding.

It's the circle of life... club soccer style.

just to take devil's advocate position for a minute re: surf.

couple of key things happened this year that were disruptive

1) The Surf coach - who had been with the 05s for a bit - left mid season to go to LAFC. Plus, immediately after his departure, rumors started that 05 and 04 players were likely to follow him to LAFC in 2019-20. So at least a little shock to the system...

2) Reportedly, only two Surf players were among the 60 total players called into the June 4th u14 YNT camp.

Given that the Surf were ranked as the #1 team in the country for most of the 2018-19 season by TDS, this must have been a disappointment. invite letter would have gone out in first part of May.

And, since one of the Surf players called up was only added to the Surf mid last season - while most of the 05 surf team (who weren't called up for 6/4 ) has been together for a bit - that must have been also a little bit of a shock.

the piece about the Surf not having a path to the pros is fair, and certainly MLS DA players are also more likely to get called up to the ynt. For example, an 04 left the Strikers to go to u15 LAG this year and then, magically, got called up to the YNT for the first time...

But, if only two players were called up for June, not sure that playing pro is a reasonable expectation for most of the Surf.

maybe reading too many tea leaves but can see why things w/ the 05 surf would reasonably start to transition at the end of the season as expectations by players/families started to not be met.

maybe a cautionary tale...

Last edited:
not sure that playing pro is a reasonable expectation for most of the Surf.
Playing pro is not a reasonable expectation for anyone. 90% of the MLS academy players wont make it to the pros. A reasonable person focuses on school, goes to college, becomes and lawyer or a doctor and lives happily ever after. These kids don't do it because it is reasonable. They do it because they love it, they have enough skill that they know they are better than most kids, and they think with a lot of hard work and even more luck they might be able to make it some day.

certainly MLS DA players are also more likely to get called up to the ynt. For example, an 04 left the Strikers to go to u15 LAG this year and then, magically, got called up to the YNT for the first time...
US Soccer scouts flat out tell people this is the case. If two players are very similar in skill and position, the player from the MLS academy will get the call over the player at a non-MLS club.

Seems like the DA cup is a work in progress. The USSDA page that lays out what it is, is here:

http://www.ussoccerda.com/New-Cup-Competition-Structure

They don't separate out U15, that has more teams, so maybe that is where the disconnect is. But the groups and the game schedules do not match up with what is described on that page. Some teams play 4 games, some 5, some 6 playing each team twice.

The groups are:

- California

LA Galaxy
FC Golden State
Pateadores
Surf
Sacramento Republic
LAFC
San Jose Earthquakes
Force

- Pacific

Breakers
Silicon Valley
Arsenal
Nomads
Albion

- Pac NW

Real Salt Lake
Timbers
Rapids
Sounders
Real Colorado
Whitecaps

- West

LAG SD
TFA
LAUFA
Ballistic

- West Coast

Barca
Crossfire
Strikers
Real So Cal

The DA Cup groups make a lot more sense now that the Tiers for U18/19 are out.

Tier 1 - Pac NW, California

Tier 2 - West Coast, Pacific

Clubs without U18/19 - West

Makes sense. Should be interesting to see what kind of team they put together. They definitely have first class facilities!

RSL U-15 DA won the RSL Cup this past weekend beating Sporting KC U-15 DA in the final 4-3. RSL had no practices and their head coach isn't on site yet.

Wow!! very happy for the Kid I have seen him play a couple of times against my Sons team. Hope to see more kids getting contracts like that.

RSL U-15 DA won the RSL Cup this past weekend beating Sporting KC U-15 DA in the final 4-3. RSL had no practices and their head coach isn't on site yet.
Its going to be some nice match ups this season.
Galaxy got even more solid, first game less than 3 weeks from now will see how this goes

Back