2005 DA Standings

here predicts vs actual for the last weekend (6/1 & 6/2). home team is listed first.

Los Angeles

predict: Real So Cal 2 vs Pateadores 0 Actuals: Real So Cal 1 vs Pateadores 1
predict: Legends 2 vs TFA 2 Actuals: Legends 2 vs TFA 1

note: here's commentary on match from ilikefutbol (thx!): "Legends 2, Tfa 1. Game was a war, hotly contested. LFC clinches 3rd place after 2-5 start. Bring on ECNL."

predict: LAFC 7 vs Santa Barbara SC 0 Actuals: LAFC 9 vs Santa Barbara SC 1
note: although LAFC fielded significant #'s of 06s the last two matches, they went with mostly 05s this time.

predict: LAUFA 2 vs LA Galaxy 2 score pending

predict: Legends 3 vs FC Golden State 1 Actuals: Legends 2 vs FC Golden State 1
note: here's commentary from RedCard (thx!): "Pretty chippy game. Lots of fouls (some called, some not but advantage played a lot by the center referee) and heat during the game. FCGS scored first on at PK (hand ball) in the 1st half and really didn't have a good clean shot the rest of the game. Legends defense kept tight with the FCGS forwards. So it could of been easily 2-0 Legends."

predict: Santa Barbara SC 2 vs Real So Cal 1 Actuals: Santa Barbara SC 2 vs Real So Cal 2

San Diego
predict: SD Surf 6 vs Arsenal 1 Actuals: SD Surf 10 vs Arsenal 0
note: SD Surf went with a full roster of 05s for this match, and Arsenal was only able to field a team of 10 players. (thx box2box!)

predict: San Diego SC 0 vs Strikers 3 Actuals: San Diego SC 0 vs Strikers 4

predict: SD Surf 2 vs Albion 1 Actuals: SD Surf 5 vs Albion 0
note: looks like Albion was missing a couple of key players for this match and the last match against LAGSD
Anyone know how LAUFA vs LAG from June1/2 weekend turned out?

Same questions for the u13 and u14 Nomads vs LAGSD matches from this last weekend?

Here’s the final improved/least improved list for the 2018-19 season thru all game results posted by USSDA as of 6/15/19. Per multiple requests for more information, am including a full list of all SoCal teams. This is similar to what was posted here for the u13/06s - http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/2006-da.15969/page-9

Am using a simple statistical calc – regression – to look at how each team performed relative their group peers this season over time. The calc generates two key numbers:

a) coefficient = the amount of goal differential % a team improves/decline by over time. For example, if a team gets 5% better each game on average, then, at the end of the u13 27 game season, that team would be 135% better in the last game of the season than they were in their first game of the season.

The coefficient number is good surrogate for how much team development occurred over the course of the season. However, there's some caveats (adding players, injuries to key players, suspensions etc) to this. For example, TFA had more than their fair share of non-soccer related challenges this season, which clearly had an impact of the team's performance on the field as the season progressed.

b) intercept = this is the starting point where the team was in terms of goal differential % before they played their first game.

This intercept number is a very good surrogate for the quality of the players put together by a team at the beginning of the season i.e. how good are a team’s players as a group before receiving coaching. But there's some caveats here too.

For example, both LA Galaxy and TFA are listed as having some of the best players at the beginning of the season. While their players are very good, their initial rating likely also has to do with starting practice earlier in the summer while some teams - like LAFC - took some time off.

Here’s the ranked list of teams by how much they improved - or didn't improve - in 2018-19:

upload_2019-6-18_10-3-4.png

Here's the improvement ranking as a chart:

upload_2019-6-18_10-4-25.png

Here’s the ranked list of teams for the player quality that each team started with at the beginning of the season.

upload_2019-6-18_9-0-18.png

Here's the player quality at the beginning of the season chart:

upload_2019-6-18_9-2-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-18_8-47-34.png
    upload_2019-6-18_8-47-34.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 23
  • upload_2019-6-18_8-53-26.png
    upload_2019-6-18_8-53-26.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Next season will be interesting with all the player movement, especially at SD Surf. Quite a few starters leaving.

I've heard that there has been some surf players at LAFC. Are these families uprooting for LA, or are they going to commit to the commute? Where else are these players looking at?

Next season will be interesting with all the player movement, especially at SD Surf. Quite a few starters leaving.

Well, my son is one that will not be returning to his DA team. He decided to forgo the tryouts and have informed the team of his decision a couple of days after the final game of the season. Sucks that they (coaches/DOC) are going around telling the players/parents that he quit on the team, but the season has ended and tryouts for next season had started, so I just see it as leaving the team at the correct time, not quitting, but it is what it is. We spoke to a couple of the families we were close with and they know our situation and the reasons on why he/we decided not to continue with this team which I will not air out. My son also has decided to tryout for the freshman football at his school and seems to be enjoying it. He also may want to play high school soccer so if that happens, DA is definitely out of the question. We have been in contact with a couple of teams in ECNL and Flight 1/Discovery for tryouts, so we will see were that goes. He does want to continue with club soccer and hopefully we will find a good team that will help him develop him and at the same time have some fun with it. High School is a new chapter in his life and he told us he wants to focus on his education but have fun in high school which I am are for it.
I just want to thank everyone here on the Boys DA 05 message boards for all the input and updates you do. And @Kante, you do an excellent job on this board. With all the work in updating the standings and the analysis you do is simply incredible. You put a lot of time and effort in this and it shows. Keep up the good work. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming season and who knows, we may be back soon. Thank you again.

Yes, there are 4 boys who have signed to play at Real Salt Lake in Herriman, UT.

Wow! Best of Luck to them! RSL currently have 12 homegrown players on their roster to LA Galaxy's 2. (still to early to see what LAFC will do for their youth) If you are going to make a move to pursue soccer seems like a smart move. Good for them.

Yes, there are 4 boys who have signed to play at Real Salt Lake in Herriman, UT.

RSL doesn't even compete in the DA at U15 next year. This is an interesting move but hope it pans out for them. It's tough to be away from family at that age. Maybe their families will move?

RSL doesn't even compete in the DA at U15 next year. This is an interesting move but hope it pans out for them. It's tough to be away from family at that age. Maybe their families will move?
I believe that this past year for U15, the RSL 2004s were not in-residence in UT. They would come together at times for training and tournaments, with RSL evaluating those players for inclusion in their in-residence academy for the following season. Could be wrong, but that was the impression I had. If so, wonder if they plan to change that for the coming season for U15?

I believe that this past year for U15, the RSL 2004s were not in-residence in UT. They would come together at times for training and tournaments, with RSL evaluating those players for inclusion in their in-residence academy for the following season. Could be wrong, but that was the impression I had. If so, wonder if they plan to change that for the coming season for U15?

They may have changed that and maybe they will be in-residence but they won't be competing in the DA. They must have a program that helps evaluate and develop those U15s apart from playing in a league.

They may have changed that and maybe they will be in-residence but they won't be competing in the DA. They must have a program that helps evaluate and develop those U15s apart from playing in a league.

RSL U-15's for next year will be playing in DA. It hasn't been announced yet but they were awarded a spot in DA for U-15. They will be in the Southwest Division. They will be in-residence in Utah.

there's a new 05 RSL coach, this year, who's building out the 05/u15 team and has been actively recruiting 05s this year to join RSL for 2019-20 as part of UT residency program.

Well, my son is one that will not be returning to his DA team. He decided to forgo the tryouts and have informed the team of his decision a couple of days after the final game of the season. Sucks that they (coaches/DOC) are going around telling the players/parents that he quit on the team, but the season has ended and tryouts for next season had started, so I just see it as leaving the team at the correct time, not quitting, but it is what it is. We spoke to a couple of the families we were close with and they know our situation and the reasons on why he/we decided not to continue with this team which I will not air out. My son also has decided to tryout for the freshman football at his school and seems to be enjoying it. He also may want to play high school soccer so if that happens, DA is definitely out of the question. We have been in contact with a couple of teams in ECNL and Flight 1/Discovery for tryouts, so we will see were that goes. He does want to continue with club soccer and hopefully we will find a good team that will help him develop him and at the same time have some fun with it. High School is a new chapter in his life and he told us he wants to focus on his education but have fun in high school which I am are for it.
I just want to thank everyone here on the Boys DA 05 message boards for all the input and updates you do. And @Kante, you do an excellent job on this board. With all the work in updating the standings and the analysis you do is simply incredible. You put a lot of time and effort in this and it shows. Keep up the good work. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming season and who knows, we may be back soon. Thank you again.
redcard, thanks for the kind words. best of luck! transitions are always tough but sounds like you all are making a solid, well considered choice.

RSL U-15's for next year will be playing in DA. It hasn't been announced yet but they were awarded a spot in DA for U-15. They will be in the Southwest Division. They will be in-residence in Utah.
An appropriate evolution for RSL's program. Excellent facilities, best in the country actually. And a great track record of developing pros.

Back