17-18 boys applications

No, new: LAFC team U13(05) & U14(existing 04's which are playing U12 For LAFC) this year.

U15 (03') is for 17-18 ussda and LAFC only has the 3 team dev set: u11/12, U13, u14.
That's confusing. This year the 04s are u12, 03s are u13, and 02s are u14.

So next year the 05s should be u12s and the 04s u13. Yet your post says LAFC will have a u14 team.

I think you meant LAFC will have an 04 u13 and 05 u14 team. There will be no 03 u14 team for LAFC.

So next year the 05s should be u12s and the 04s u13. Yet your post says LAFC will have a u14 team.

I think you meant LAFC will have an 04 u13 and 05 u14 team. There will be no 03 u14 team for LAFC.

For Ussda the age groups make up a year in 17-18' since they were behind:
16-17' U12/04 U13/03 U14/02 U15/16 (01/00)
17-18' U12/06 U13/05 U14/04 U15/03

LAFC has the 3 development teams for 17-18: U12-U14 there is no U15/03 for them.

LAFC has the 3 development teams for 17-18: U12-U14 there is no U15/03 for them.
So the 03s go from u13 to u15. Right now most ussda teams have a combined u15-16 team. Is there going to be separate u15 and u16 teams next year?

They all skip a year next year. 2004 should be U13 this year, 2005 is U12 this year and will be U13 academy next year and 2004 will be U14 the introduction of the U12 Academy made it pretty wonkey. The U12 academy next year will be 2006

Ah ha, so for 17/18 the DA age groups designations will match the Cal South ones ...

Two straight reds for players on their 06 team in Presidents Cup. Rebels will be a fine addition to DA.

DA clubs are chosen based on their geography, their coaching, and their institutional set-up, not their current players, but it's certainly interesting to watch the 2006 teams in newly-selected clubs since at least the parents of the kids on their top teams, if not the clubs themselves, assume that those kids are going to form the core of the new Academy team. For example, Murietta Surf didn't even make it out of group play in President's Cup and was largely dominated in the games it lost. LA Premier FC was one of the weakest teams in Silver Elite this year and didn't make it out of group play in President's Cup either, with it's only win coming by forfeit. Legends didn't even enter its teams in President's Cup. They are in Governor's this year. Either those clubs will greatly dilute the talent in DA next year or there will be significant turnover among their teams.

What is the thinking behind these terminal u12 DA programs (if indeed that's what we're seeing - perhaps in a year things will look very different)? If the object of DA is to find and develop players, is u12 the right age to bounce kids out of the program? That's only 1-2 years. If a kid is in the pool to be considered a future pro at 11, is age 12 old enough to rule him out? It's particularly problematic because kids' bodies are changing so unevenly at that time. I would think after u14 would make much more sense to funnel kids out. Beginning of high school, kids interests and mentalities are really starting to change, etc. It'd give kids the chance to settle into the DA program and see if they can learn. If you're on a terminal u12 DA, you'll probably spend a good half the year jockeying for a spot at next year's DA club. Hardly the best way to develop.

Also, what's in it for the clubs? Clubs have to incur all sorts of overhead to get DA status. That's a lot of expense for just the one DA squad. Basically all they're doing is making it easier for the full academies to scout the top players. Yes, they get that pretty DA logo on their website, but come u13 there are going to be a lot of unhappy families.

What is the thinking behind these terminal u12 DA programs (if indeed that's what we're seeing - perhaps in a year things will look very different)? If the object of DA is to find and develop players, is u12 the right age to bounce kids out of the program? That's only 1-2 years. If a kid is in the pool to be considered a future pro at 11, is age 12 old enough to rule him out? It's particularly problematic because kids' bodies are changing so unevenly at that time. I would think after u14 would make much more sense to funnel kids out. Beginning of high school, kids interests and mentalities are really starting to change, etc. It'd give kids the chance to settle into the DA program and see if they can learn. If you're on a terminal u12 DA, you'll probably spend a good half the year jockeying for a spot at next year's DA club. Hardly the best way to develop.

Also, what's in it for the clubs? Clubs have to incur all sorts of overhead to get DA status. That's a lot of expense for just the one DA squad. Basically all they're doing is making it easier for the full academies to scout the top players. Yes, they get that pretty DA logo on their website, but come u13 there are going to be a lot of unhappy families.

The single age u11/12 clubs (150) are for those new to da. 115 of the 150 have U13, 123 with U14. This is known as the (3) core development set and almost 80% of the clubs have those 3 teams.

U15 4 seasons later only 82 clubs but this is what happens typically anyway as fewer kids play up the age ladder.

Southwest u13 & U14 will have (14) socal teams that somebody listed above for 17-18. Only 3 clubs with U12 only (TFA, WC, and CV) prior

The idea is to get as many players as possible into the USSDA player pool trained in the Dutch/Ajax/Cruyff/Barcelona 4-3-3 system. The pool of players will be narrowed at each age group by reducing the number of DA teams.

The USSDA wants to concentrate the best players on fewer teams that play each other, the only way to get that done is to reduce the number of DA clubs at the older age groups. There needs to be more clubs for younger players both to cast the widest net, and because very few parents are willing to travel at the younger ages. The driving most parents are willing to do for a top 16 year old is a lot more than what most parents are willing to do for a top 12 year old.

I'm not sure why you think jockeying for positions at other clubs would have any impact, that kind of stuff was happening before DA.

I think it's a good idea to funnel kids out at each age group. In fact I'd prefer to see fewer DA teams and more weeding out. There's too many DA teams for the level of talent out there IMO.

I don't think 12 is too early to weed out kids, I seriously doubt you will miss even one future pro among the kids weeded out at 12.

Clubs have to meet bunch of requirements to get DA status. Clubs with DA status can attract better coaches, USSDA also helps train DA coaches to make them better, which leads to a better product on the field, higher status for the club, which should eventually pull in more paying customers. DA has not been going on long enough to determine whether the expense of DA is worth it for the clubs, and only those privy to a club's books really know whether the club is making a profit off DA. The only benefit a club definitely receives from DA is higher status.

I'm not sure why you are concerned with unhappy u13 families. Why would they be unhappy? In sports you have to compete to make the top teams. DA is supposed to be about identifying and training the best players, not giving out participation trophys. If a kid can't make DA after u12, there are plenty of good non-DA options out there.

In trying to figure out '05 DA's for 17/18, this is what I found on the US Soccer website map (http://www.ussoccerda.com/2016-u-13-14-club-map): If this has been covered before, my bad. Strange thing is, the expansion announcement shows only LAFC and LAG-SD in the newly promoted/existing. What's the true story of what '05 U13 will be DA for 17/18?
SOUTHWEST
  1. Albion SC
  2. Arsenal FC
  3. Central California Aztecs
  4. FC Golden State
  5. L.A. United Futbol Academy
  6. L.A. Galaxy
  7. Nomads SC
  8. Pateadores
  9. Real So Cal
  10. San Diego Surf
  11. Santa Barbara Soccer Club