Who's playing What?

Fellow G09ers, let's pretend for a second that things will be back to normal in a reasonable amount of time. With the move to 11v11 and the consequent expansion of leagues available, I am curious to understand where all the local teams (LA, OC and IE) we have become familiar with in these years will end up playing when the various leagues eventually start. Therefore I thought it could be a fun exercise to employ this forum's wealth of knowledge to try and guess who's playing what.

Part I: ECNL.

Arsenal
Eagles
La Breakers
Slammers FC
LAFC Slammers
Real So Cal
Blues
Strikers
...and possibly
Legends
Beach

Most of these teams, which represent pretty much most of the G09 local royalty, are already established and/or in full recruitment mode (like pretty much every other 09 team). I am not sure however what Slammers team will be playing under the LAFC Slammers banner and I am also not too familiar with the Strikers situation in Irvine.
As far as Legends and Beach possibly being granted access to ECNL, there is a dedicated topic here: https://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/ecnl-expansion-2021-2022.19456/page-7#post-382151
Both clubs have tremendously competitive 09 teams (Legends won the last State Cup, and Beach has the former LAGSB team to field), so it would be a pity if they didn't.

Feedback anyone?

don't have an G09 but a B05 at Irv Strikers and unless there is an expansion there are no girls programs. There was a call yesterday with the DOC and there was no mention of girls teams

Beach is also interesting as they have their original team (Nunes, then I think Perez - not to be confused with another Perez who had a fight 3 G09) and then the Galaxy SB team that came over. Both excellent teams who each very decisively beat us over the years. :).

So the question I have there is how they are approaching things. That thread Venantsyo pointed out suggests clubs like Beach and Legends on the cusp of ECNL are putting the first teams in ECRL (my guess is to put their "best foot forward" in getting ECNL slots in any further expansion). So are they pooling those 2 teams to form a first team & sending that to ECRL (with a second team going to GA)....or is each team staying intact and there's a bit of a decision to make in terms of who goes to ECRL and who goes to GA? Perhaps @rainbow_unicorn has insight to the extent it can be shared?

They are advertising tryouts for G2009 ECNL/ECRL teams at OC Park (Coach Geo Hernandez)
Yes, and also there were 2 teams playing under the Strikers ECNL banner who are technically with LASC and coached by Esteban Chavez (who founded SoCal Academy, coaches @ Flintridge Prep, and has many accolades). My a-little-less-than-wild guess is those 2 teams highly resemble his DA teams from last year when he was with LA Surf.

If you go on SoCal Academy's Instagram, there is a post which has a list of girls teams playing ECNL for Strikers last year:

My a-little-less-than-wild guess is those 2 teams highly resemble his DA teams from last year when he was with LA Surf.

If you go on SoCal Academy's Instagram, there is a post which has a list of girls teams playing ECNL for Strikers last year:

From chatting with fellow 2006 parents on the Arizona sidelines at the fall showcase they said several from that 2006 DA group left and a quite a few of the Strikers Ramiro Alfaro team are still playing.... this is direct from strikers parents so it is a good source lol......I only really know 2006 age so do not know much about the older kids that were socal academy / la surf DA other than several of them helped form the composite/second string Ecnl team at strikers now........

Beach is also interesting as they have their original team (Nunes, then I think Perez - not to be confused with another Perez who had a fight 3 G09) and then the Galaxy SB team that came over. Both excellent teams who each very decisively beat us over the years. :).

So the question I have there is how they are approaching things. That thread Venantsyo pointed out suggests clubs like Beach and Legends on the cusp of ECNL are putting the first teams in ECRL (my guess is to put their "best foot forward" in getting ECNL slots in any further expansion). So are they pooling those 2 teams to form a first team & sending that to ECRL (with a second team going to GA)....or is each team staying intact and there's a bit of a decision to make in terms of who goes to ECRL and who goes to GA? Perhaps @rainbow_unicorn has insight to the extent it can be shared?

I can give insight here too.... the Beach and Legends top players and coaches went all in on ECRL......that decision is going to very soon payoff for both clubs and both are loaded with talent......

Final thought...... do not sleep on Real g-2009s ;)

Legends and Beach are holding their breath til they hear decision on ECNL. Beach SB and LB will combine and form top team this spring. I think most of Legends are staying put at the moment. Slammers PA, PA2, Cruz, Fortes and HB will form a 1st and 2nd team for ECNL. Blues getting nice upgrades. Eagles have the same competitive team. RSC will get better if they combine their two teams. Also guessing SD Surf will get stronger.

Part II: ECRL.

Arsenal
Eagles
La Breakers
Slammers FC
LAFC Slammers
Real So Cal
Blues
Strikers
Legends
Beach
+
West Coast FC
Pateadores

So how many out of state games would SoCal teams have in a season?
10 LA-area, 3 SD, 3 AZ and 1 NV team...talk of splitting conference in two which would suck for the LA/SD teams put into division with AZ/NV. Probably best solution is to keep one division and have AZ play more than once against each other during to cut down on travel for all teams.

Arsenal
Eagles
La Breakers
Slammers FC
LAFC Slammers
Real So Cal
Blues
Strikers
Legends
Beach
+
West Coast FC
Pateadores
I think this depends a lot on player movement from non-ECNL/ECRL teams coming into these programs. There are a lot of good teams/players outside of that narrow list of ECNL programs.

+
West Coast FC
Pateadores

I think its going to be interesting to see if there's enough players for both ECNL and ECRL. If we look at the number of teams pre-CoVID, I believe YSR had about 150 teams at the G09 age (Eliminate AYSO, and duplicate teams). That's about 1500 G09 players back in 2019. We have to assume at the low end a 25% reduction in players (dropping out of soccer) to get us to about 1,100 player pool.

Of the 1,100 players there's probably about 50% of these are Flight 3/Bronze players. THis takes us to about 550 true player pool for: ECNL, ECRL, Flight 1, Flight 2. To fill 20 teams (ECNL & ECRL) with 15 players per team, we need 300 players from this 550 player pool. That's not going to happen.

Personally, I would have the clubs hold off on ECRL for 2021 and just focus on ECNL. Most clubs in our region (North OC) are struggling to keep a full team of 12 players as it is.

I think this depends a lot on player movement from non-ECNL/ECRL teams coming into these programs. There are a lot of good teams/players outside of that narrow list of ECNL programs.
Yep, this the age group where the unstoppable (and in my opinion, unfortunate) migration to the big, ECNL/GA-bearing clubs accelerates, and there is not much other smaller clubs can do about it.

Oh @Venantsyo - thanks for keeping us GA folks in the conversation - LOL.

We are a little dazed today wondering just what happens now with Legends, Beach, and Utah Royals departing. Of course, they were sending their 2nd or 3rd string teams to GA anyway. :oops:

So what happens from here there? Is this an existential blow where GA packs it in and clubs focus on fielding competitive teams in ERCL (or apply to get ECRL)? Does GA invite more clubs? It goes without question this was just a cementing of GA as a "second tier" in most folks' eyes - but what do we think happens?

Or do we not care? Is this, "Go away GA boy, let the adults talk!" :p

Oh @Venantsyo - thanks for keeping us GA folks in the conversation - LOL.

We are a little dazed today wondering just what happens now with Legends, Beach, and Utah Royals departing. Of course, they were sending their 2nd or 3rd string teams to GA anyway. :oops:

So what happens from here there? Is this an existential blow where GA packs it in and clubs focus on fielding competitive teams in ERCL (or apply to get ECRL)? Does GA invite more clubs? It goes without question this was just a cementing of GA as a "second tier" in most folks' eyes - but what do we think happens?

Or do we not care? Is this, "Go away GA boy, let the adults talk!" :p
I love you bro. This stuff never ends and I have friends in your shoes today. The last four sum years has been hard on us all. I feel your pain Tim, your pal Bill-

I love you bro. This stuff never ends and I have friends in your shoes today. The last four sum years has been hard on us all. I feel your pain Tim, your pal Bill-
It's all good. I'm goofing around mostly. My kiddo is 11. It would be an adjustment for me, but she could well be more interested in boys and her Etsy shop in 3 years vs. soccer. I take it in stride and just enjoy every precious minute of watching her play, as it is one of my life's greatest joys.

I have used my time persuing this forum to glean insight from the parents of the olders like yourself who can point out the issues to look out for and be frank about their own mistakes.

As a result of this forum, I 1) never talk about the game in the car ride home unless she wants to, 2) scout the opportunities and the various pathways, but make sure she has a voice and participates in the decisions, 3) see her coach and her love of the game as the top concerns right now, knowing things will fall into place as needed provided we keep an open mind, see what's out there, and smell the roses along the way, 4) know this will be over sooner than I think, and to enjoy every minute with my kids, and 5) make sure her grades are a top priority if she wants to play in college, as that doesn't get overlooked for many players.

Just glad we are having normal conversations again. This forum was a bit much the last year. I had to step back.

Back