Valhalla Ego Boosting

Code

SILVER ELITE
Tell me your Highschool Coach has piss poor character without telling me your Highschool Coach has piss poor character!
Vallhalla.PNG
Here we have a DIII versus DV school league matchup. El Cajon Valley has been having a rough year, and from the word on the street, playing without a dedicated coach this year. DD tells me that the Seniors have been running practice, and helping the track and field coach who is standing in during games with subs and strategy recommendations. There is no points or benefits related to GD in Highschool rankings, CIF playoff spots, or League points. Why would you run the score up like this on a DV team with no coach? When my DD's team played them, we were up 4-0 very quickly. Our coach pulled every starter on the team off the field for the remainder of the entire game. It was a great choice in my perspective. It gave a lot of players with low playing time an opportunity to get some game time, and made the match a bit more even. It was still a lopsided game, but not a slaughter. There are a few schools in our league that are comparable in play with us, including Valhalla, and a couple really struggling. My DD has club teammates on the teams at the comparable schools in the league, and they did a similar thing when playing El Cajon Valley; pull the strongest players off after getting a sizable lead and give others some play time, there was not going to be some kind of sudden comeback. If any of the Valhalla coaching staff actually happen upon this post, just know that from my perspective, you did not provided a positive mentorship/role model/coaching life lesson to any of the children of either team. I don't know what type of character code or ethical perspective Valhalla strives to achieve with its student body, but I do know whatever it is, you have failed.

It’s sad this high school could not find a coach for this year. It’s sad if the upper class man are running the squad under the guidance of another coach. It’s sad for the players committed to playing this year. It’s sad for any competing coach coming into this situation and running up the score. And, anyone making the excuse that’s it’s a competitive environment when it is not.

Maybe the Valhalla coach is also a U8 Surf coach...probably not since they stopped at 15.

Like you all, I wasn't at the game. My son attends Valhalla, but I've no clue what happened. Doesn't look good on its face, but sometimes a full field game of keep away is more embarrassing than a score line (other options available though like playing down a girl or a few). Regardless, the ECV kids have been let down by a bunch of adults, like Lastman said, kudos to those kids for sticking it out.

What is the appropriate cutoff for not scoring, period? It seems to me that once you get to around 5-0 later in the second half, most coaches will turn over the roster to the subs. How many goals do you let the subs score? Many of which see very little of the field and let alone have ever scored. High school benches are deep. Is it fair to restrict kids from scoring that rarely play? I think my cutoff would be around 10+ or - depending on the circumstances. Would a team that is getting blown out rather score a goal, or prevent 5 goals?

For a positive story, there is kid on my son's team that didn't make the team (considering the low bar for HS soccer you can imagine his ability, or lack thereof). Despite not making the team, the kid asked the coach if he could practice with the team. The coach agreed and the kid has diligently attended practice so the coach let him dress out recently. The other night they were up 7-1 mid way through the 2nd half and the coach put the kid into the game. It made his and his parents day. My son thought it was so cool.

Maybe the Valhalla coach is also a U8 Surf coach...probably not since they stopped at 15.

Like you all, I wasn't at the game. My son attends Valhalla, but I've no clue what happened. Doesn't look good on its face, but sometimes a full field game of keep away is more embarrassing than a score line (other options available though like playing down a girl or a few). Regardless, the ECV kids have been let down by a bunch of adults, like Lastman said, kudos to those kids for sticking it out.

What is the appropriate cutoff for not scoring, period? It seems to me that once you get to around 5-0 later in the second half, most coaches will turn over the roster to the subs. How many goals do you let the subs score? Many of which see very little of the field and let alone have ever scored. High school benches are deep. Is it fair to restrict kids from scoring that rarely play? I think my cutoff would be around 10+ or - depending on the circumstances. Would a team that is getting blown out rather score a goal, or prevent 5 goals?

For a positive story, there is kid on my son's team that didn't make the team (considering the low bar for HS soccer you can imagine his ability, or lack thereof). Despite not making the team, the kid asked the coach if he could practice with the team. The coach agreed and the kid has diligently attended practice so the coach let him dress out recently. The other night they were up 7-1 mid way through the 2nd half and the coach put the kid into the game. It made his and his parents day. My son thought it was so cool.
Usually 6 goals up is where teams play the bench or start thinking about pulling players for a man down situation. This makes the game more competitive + a learning experience for both teams.

You also have to consider if teams get extra points for blanking the opponent. In these type of situations only the forwards will get switched out.

It all depends on how the league / tournament scores points.

Usually 6 goals up is where teams play the bench or start thinking about pulling players for a man down situation. This makes the game more competitive + a learning experience for both teams.

You also have to consider if teams get extra points for blanking the opponent. In these type of situations only the forwards will get switched out.

It all depends on how the league / tournament scores points.
SD CIF only notes win-loss-tie in their power rankings calculations, with no special treatment for goal differential or shutouts. Of course, if this was in a tournament, then there may be other rules to consider.

SD CIF only notes win-loss-tie in their power rankings calculations, with no special treatment for goal differential or shutouts. Of course, if this was in a tournament, then there may be other rules to consider.
In that case running up the score is odd + unsportsmanlike.

Back