U.S. SOCCER FEDERATION HIRES KARI SEITZ AS VICE PRESIDENT OF REFEREEING

To grow the number of referees what do we need to do?

• Make the registration process easier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Share stories about referees, why they referee

• Increase awareness on how to become a referee

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IMG_0013.jpeg

(KARI IS THE) MOST ACCOMPLISHED AMERICAN REFEREE WITH NEARLY 40 YEARS OF COMBINED ON-FIELD AND LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE JOINS FEDERATION AFTER SERVING AS FIFA HEAD OF REFEREEING; PART OF U.S. SOCCER’S CONTINUED EMPHASIS ON GROWING THE NUMBER OF REFEREES

“Returning to the USA to lead the Federation’s Refereeing Department is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I want to thank U.S. Soccer for recognizing the importance of investing in refereeing, an often overlooked and underappreciated, yet integral part of the game,” said Seitz.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...es-kari-seitz-as-vice-president-of-refereeing

Teach us how to be better referees. It's not a lot of fun when you don't know what you're doing.

I've been a ref for quite a while now, and I still haven't seen anyone give me a clear description of what does and what does not count as a foul, let alone how to see the difference in real time.

I end up feeling as though I, and the other low level referees, end up acting upon our own biases, instead of enforcing a consistent set of standards across games.

If you'd like me to call a game well, give me a clear description of what is legal, and not legal, in a variety of situations. What constitutes a legal slide tackle? Here are ten examples of legal tackles, ten examples that are simple fouls, and ten examples that require cards.

Same thing for anything else you would like me to be able to consistently call and not call.

Teach us how to be better referees. It's not a lot of fun when you don't know what you're doing.

I've been a ref for quite a while now, and I still haven't seen anyone give me a clear description of what does and what does not count as a foul, let alone how to see the difference in real time.

I end up feeling as though I, and the other low level referees, end up acting upon our own biases, instead of enforcing a consistent set of standards across games.

If you'd like me to call a game well, give me a clear description of what is legal, and not legal, in a variety of situations. What constitutes a legal slide tackle? Here are ten examples of legal tackles, ten examples that are simple fouls, and ten examples that require cards.

Same thing for anything else you would like me to be able to consistently call and not call.
Here is a series of recorded webinars that are available to the entire soccer community. https://calsouth.com/monthly-referee-educational-webinars/

Here is a series of recorded webinars that are available to the entire soccer community. https://calsouth.com/monthly-referee-educational-webinars/

I watched the April one that teaches when to use a yellow and when to use a red.

The first 20 minutes of the educational video has zero clips, and zero words about how you want me to call a game.

Instead, I got two minutes of administrative stuff and 18 minutes of Alan Black and Juan Guzman shooting the breeze.

By 30 minutes in, we have some slides of generalities, like "different people may see the same situation differently". Things that are true, but don't really help me make a call in a game.

The first clip starts 38 minutes into the video.

Three decent clips partly showing me how to distinguish between light and heavy contact with the studs. Quality stuff.

Then some dead time while they try to figure out where clip 4 is.

By this point, I'm halfway done with the video. I've had about 5 minutes of instruction and 40+ minutes that were not instruction.

Is this honestly your best effort to teach me how you want the games called?

I watched the April one that teaches when to use a yellow and when to use a red.

The first 20 minutes of the educational video has zero clips, and zero words about how you want me to call a game.

Instead, I got two minutes of administrative stuff and 18 minutes of Alan Black and Juan Guzman shooting the breeze.

By 30 minutes in, we have some slides of generalities, like "different people may see the same situation differently". Things that are true, but don't really help me make a call in a game.

The first clip starts 38 minutes into the video.

Three decent clips partly showing me how to distinguish between light and heavy contact with the studs. Quality stuff.

Then some dead time while they try to figure out where clip 4 is.

By this point, I'm halfway done with the video. I've had about 5 minutes of instruction and 40+ minutes that were not instruction.

Is this honestly your best effort to teach me how you want the games called?
Hi Zeke, the webinars are recorded, skip the beginnings and go to the instruction portion. There is plenty of video analysis. Lee

Back