Torn ACL

Rate of soccer ACL tears is higher - significantly, I think - with girls/women than with boys/men so that may be why you see parents of daughters in these discussions than parents of sons. One healthcare worker simplified one variable this way (I did not independently verify this claim): when boys enter puberty, their relative hamstring strength goes up while girls' relative hamstring strength goes down. We know that the quad:hammy balance is a critical variable in the risk of ACL tears so that sex-based difference may be a reason why we see differences (esp in non-contact scenarios).

I was told by my daughters surgeon (who does over 100 ACL surgeries per year on teenage girls) that the two big factors are the quad-hamstring strength ratio and the fact that when girls reach their teens the alignment of the hips and legs changes (which does not occur in boys) and that makes the girls more prone to knee ligament tears.

I was told by my daughters surgeon (who does over 100 ACL surgeries per year on teenage girls) that the two big factors are the quad-hamstring strength ratio and the fact that when girls reach their teens the alignment of the hips and legs changes (which does not occur in boys) and that makes the girls more prone to knee ligament tears.

And while the girls cannot do anything regarding their natural physiology, they can address the strength ratio. If I had the money, I'd pay for baseline testing for local HS and club players so that each can develop a personal strength/conditioning plan based on their strengths and deficiencies.

Estrogen issues can be a problem. It may help bone and muscle where estrogen improves function, in tendons and ligaments estrogen decreases stiffness, and this directly affects performance and injury rates. High estrogen levels can decrease power and performance and make women more prone for catastrophic ligament injury.

My daughter feels research needs to increase on women in sports. I did some research and just 9% of the sports studies focused exclusively on female athletes, whereas 71% focused only on male athletes.

And while the girls cannot do anything regarding their natural physiology, they can address the strength ratio. If I had the money, I'd pay for baseline testing for local HS and club players so that each can develop a personal strength/conditioning plan based on their strengths and deficiencies.
Would it help the girls not get the ACLs if they did not play three games in 48 hours at showcase showdowns and big tournaments all year? I bet the ACL's will come down if we change to once a week games max and proper training on the care of each girls body during the week.

So sorry to hear. The good news is that she will make a full recovery. My 07 is finally getting back to full speed. I’d highly recommend using the machine that moves her leg for the first 10 days after surgery. That made a big difference IMO. Once she returned to play we ditched the bladed cleats and now she only uses cleats with conical studs. Too much of a risk of the blades snagging on the turf.
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. She never wore the bladed studs. Just an unfortunate turn of events.

There is also some studies I seen when taking into consideration hormone levels of female players during their cycle. I didn't ask my daughter about this stuff when she had her injury. And her injury was not a non-contact (can't say it was caused by contact but can't rule it out) but studies regarding time of the month and injuries are out there. And I saw something about the National Team actually monitoring their cycle and adjusting training to coincide.

Unfortunately my oldest daughter just joined this infamous club. The injury occurred during spring training last Wednesday. Non contact, stretching for a cross played in and her cleat got caught up in the turf. This was on their alternate practice field due to them just laying down new sod. Surgery May 8th. ACL & Meniscus torn. She will be using the University's surgeon. There is some great feedback on here. Thanks for posting.
So sorry for your daughter. It is a great shock on the system. After the dust settles and you figure out a plan the anxiety will wane. Surgery and rehab are pretty good now a days i would say don't rush a return. My daughter was at the AZ show case two years ago when hers went. The following year before the same AZ one it happened again. She is still recovering and we will see what the future brings. I so sincerely hope the best in her recovery.

There is also some studies I seen when taking into consideration hormone levels of female players during their cycle. I didn't ask my daughter about this stuff when she had her injury. And her injury was not a non-contact (can't say it was caused by contact but can't rule it out) but studies regarding time of the month and injuries are out there. And I saw something about the National Team actually monitoring their cycle and adjusting training to coincide.

When my daughter had her first ACL the club director came over and asked my wife right away. and it was true.

Back