Time to get paid to play$$$$

When players get paid to play a sport, will the college start deducting the tuition, room and board from the players. If 20 million were split between the men and women, 200 athletes for each, that gives us 400 people sharing 20 million which is 50,000 per player. Deduct 50K for the cost of college and we have a wash.
The "cost of college" is a number that can be chosen by clever accountants and lawyers to be anything they want it to be. What is the true cost of adding one more player to the women's soccer team? Anything you want.

The only sports that I see generating surplus revenue are football, men's basketball, and men's ice hockey in a few schools. The rest of the sports are attractions for new students and fodder for alumni donations.
Yeah, it's really just football and men's basketball.

Is this a requirement to pay athletes or opening up the free market with the right to pay athletes at a college's discretion?

If it's just allowing schools to pay athletes, and not requiring payment, then maybe very little will change. Some schools will not pay athletes or only pay high ranking athletes while other schools will still continue to not pay athletes and only give out scholarships while athletes earn money through NIL.

If they are required to pay athletes (which I doubt), then is the requirement to pay ALL athletes the same or will it be according to market value of the athlete? The market value of most college athletes is zero.

Let's see how this pans out. A college doesn't need to leave D1 because it chooses not to pay. A lot of kids still would prefer the scholarship route because of taxes.
You are correct that colleges aren't being forced to pay players. NCAA settling only ALLOWS colleges to pay players. There is a huge difference.

However if colleges don't adopt standards and adhere to them as a group there's going to be lawsuits and the ones not paying players will fall first in court.

If colleges don't start paying players quickly they're going to lose control of how players get paid. This is because not paying players strengthens the case for Athletes setting up a Players Union which opens the door for getting agents involved. Once a Union and Agents are involved players will strike as a group until their requirements to play are met. Who do you think will be drafting requirements for players that strike? Agents.

College is way over priced these days. MOO, college should be a place to learn a trade or become a doctor. The pressure on these young atheletes is too much. Big changes coming....
It is overpriced. I will say the Cal States and UC schools are still reasonable, the problem is room and board is soooo expensive in SoCal. More kids need to go to trade school and stay away from college.

I don't see the pressure for athletes like you do. Many non-athletes work jobs to be able to go to school and still come out with student loans. That is real pressure. Work 25 hours a week at a crappy job and come out with 100K in student loans. The athlete plays the sport they love and don't need to work, and very possibly owe nothing at the end of everything.

Back