Time to get paid to play$$$$

"The NCAA and its five power conferences completed voting Thursday night to approve a settlement agreement that paves the way for universities to pay athletes directly, according to multiple people familiar with the matter, a change that would crush any last notions of amateurism in major college sports." WAPO

@Carlsbad7 Will this make them employees?

"The NCAA and its five power conferences completed voting Thursday night to approve a settlement agreement that paves the way for universities to pay athletes directly, according to multiple people familiar with the matter, a change that would crush any last notions of amateurism in major college sports." WAPO

@Carlsbad7 Will this make them employees?
Don't know yet but I'm watching closely. ;-)

I know you to be a wise man so let me know. Also. let me know if girl soccer players will get a pay day as well. This is going to be interesting.
If players are able to unionize and be represented by agents they will be W2 in a heartbeat.

This is the next step.

Here’s one of the union groups fighting to be the representative for all players. Check out the list of issues they’re looking to address.

I realize that some are instantly against Unions. But I urge you to read through the link below it might change your mind.

Here’s one of the union groups fighting to be the representative for all players. Check out the list of issues they’re looking to address.

I realize that some are instantly against Unions. But I urge you to read through the link below it might change your mind.

It looks like they have a lot of good ideas, especially if you are a college football or basketball player. All negative-revenue sports (and their players) will likely suffer. That includes every college soccer program, male or female.

I'm on the "We're going to regret doing this" team.
I believe colleges shouldn't be involved with sports in the first place. However if they are involved colleges should be training and developing players so that they can play the sport professionally. With Football this is happening. With Soccer this is definitely not happening on the men's side and happening less and less on the women's side.

It looks like they have a lot of good ideas, especially if you are a college football or basketball player. All negative-revenue sports (and their players) will likely suffer. That includes every college soccer program, male or female.
It all depends on how Title IX gets interpreted once colleges are paying players. Say a college gets 2 million in revenue from playing in a league to pay the players. Does this get split 50/50 between male and female players? If the answer is yes females are about to make $$$ playing Basketball, Softball, or Soccer because these are the primary female sports colleges use offset male only Football.

It all depends on how Title IX gets interpreted once colleges are paying players. Say a college gets 2 million in revenue from playing in a league to pay the players. Does this get split 50/50 between male and female players? If the answer is yes females are about to make $$$ playing Basketball, Softball, or Soccer because these are the primary female sports colleges use offset male only Football.
Basketball balances basketball, softball balances baseball, and soccer balances soccer for the most part (women's soccer teams get about 50% more scholarship-equivalents than men's teams, I'm not sure about the other the other sports). Better examples of balancing sports would be field hockey, crew, and bowling.

Basketball balances basketball, softball balances baseball, and soccer balances soccer for the most part (women's soccer teams get about 50% more scholarship-equivalents than men's teams, I'm not sure about the other the other sports). Better examples of balancing sports would be field hockey, crew, and bowling.
That's a fair assessment. However I could see colleges dumping men's soccer programs because they're not revenue generating + using the women's players to balance out football. This is because men's college soccer is a dead end for talent. Why continue to invest in something that doesn't generate revenue and doesn't prepare players for playing professionally.

That's a fair assessment. However I could see colleges dumping men's soccer programs because they're not revenue generating + using the women's players to balance out football. This is because men's college soccer is a dead end for talent. Why continue to invest in something that doesn't generate revenue and doesn't prepare players for playing professionally.
College football has the most scholarships allowed of any NCAA sport and thus presents the biggest problem to ADs and college Presidents. Ironically, it was an attempt to create balance among colleges concerning college football recruiting that led to the formation of the NCAA in the first place.

Yes, all non-revenue generating sports are going to be looked at closely, especially at non-power 5 schools. For a lot of schools that don't generate ANY revenue on sports, they will have to consider leaving D1. So, likely result is less overall opportunity at the D1 level

When players get paid to play a sport, will the college start deducting the tuition, room and board from the players. If 20 million were split between the men and women, 200 athletes for each, that gives us 400 people sharing 20 million which is 50,000 per player. Deduct 50K for the cost of college and we have a wash.

When players get paid to play a sport, will the college start deducting the tuition, room and board from the players. If 20 million were split between the men and women, 200 athletes for each, that gives us 400 people sharing 20 million which is 50,000 per player. Deduct 50K for the cost of college and we have a wash.
College is way over priced these days. MOO, college should be a place to learn a trade or become a doctor. The pressure on these young atheletes is too much. Big changes coming....

Is this a requirement to pay athletes or opening up the free market with the right to pay athletes at a college's discretion?

If it's just allowing schools to pay athletes, and not requiring payment, then maybe very little will change. Some schools will not pay athletes or only pay high ranking athletes while other schools will still continue to not pay athletes and only give out scholarships while athletes earn money through NIL.

If they are required to pay athletes (which I doubt), then is the requirement to pay ALL athletes the same or will it be according to market value of the athlete? The market value of most college athletes is zero.

Let's see how this pans out. A college doesn't need to leave D1 because it chooses not to pay. A lot of kids still would prefer the scholarship route because of taxes.

I believe colleges shouldn't be involved with sports in the first place. However if they are involved colleges should be training and developing players so that they can play the sport professionally. With Football this is happening. With Soccer this is definitely not happening on the men's side and happening less and less on the women's side.
Well, it hasn't been very long that American players, even males, could make a living playing professionally. Women still can't. We agree there. Colleges are supposed to be preparing athletes for life and a professional career. That's why they declare a major.

But once you start giving millions to athletes, they become professionals and they become a business. I don't like it. Personally, I don't have a bunch of pity for college athletes. They opt to play and receive many perks. Seems to me they could have come up with something better. Maybe increase scholarship parameters. Maybe guarantee nutrition programs, etc. Maybe an allowance or a combination thereof. Something that compensates for their inability to have a part time job and take some stress off.

I don't hate the schools & their programs because they're making a ton of money.

The MLS draft pulls players from college. Not a large percentage but how many college basketball players end up in the NBA? Seems like the 1-and-dones from Duke and Carolina... a few others. How many college baseball players go beyond the bus leagues? For that matter, how many college football rosters send players to the NFL?

I don't know the answer to those but it seems like none of them are preparing players for anything other than alumni BBQs.

Yes, all non-revenue generating sports are going to be looked at closely, especially at non-power 5 schools. For a lot of schools that don't generate ANY revenue on sports, they will have to consider leaving D1. So, likely result is less overall opportunity at the D1 level
The only sports that I see generating surplus revenue are football, men's basketball, and men's ice hockey in a few schools. The rest of the sports are attractions for new students and fodder for alumni donations.

Back