The Brag Thread

@socalkdg Congratulations and thank you so much for sharing the details of how it all occurred!

I get so excited when I see someone is posting in the Keeper forum because I know it is going to be some quality information to consider without the nutjobs adding useless information.

@dk_b you had shared your story a few years ago with me and I had pulled up the message a month ago to read to my daughter.

I of course know nothing in my daughter's eyes so I rely on you parents here to share so I can read real life experience to my daughter as she considers her path forward.

@socalkdg Congratulations and thank you so much for sharing the details of how it all occurred!

I get so excited when I see someone is posting in the Keeper forum because I know it is going to be some quality information to consider without the nutjobs adding useless information.

@dk_b you had shared your story a few years ago with me and I had pulled up the message a month ago to read to my daughter.

I of course know nothing in my daughter's eyes so I rely on you parents here to share so I can read real life experience to my daughter as she considers her path forward.

I just went back to read that initial exchange - from Dec of 2019! A lot has happened since then. Our last exchange was when there was still so much uncertainty in what was going to happen b/c of the pandemic. My twins were going to be at the camp of the program you and I discussed this very weekend (Covid hit our house so they had to skip).

Since this is a “brag thread” - my older kid has done pretty well in her first two year in the Pac. It’s been a lot of fun to watch (especially her games at UCLA and in front of the school just blocks from her HS) and I can’t believe she’s halfway done (that is, if she chooses not to use her Covid “bonus” year). There’s enough data there to know that she has a chance to keep playing at a high level post-college - it will be her choice, which is cool, rather than a question of whether she can. The choices we made for her and with her at U12 and U13 (which is when she moved clubs) turned out great for her. I hope the choices we have made for and with my younger 2 will turn out to be the right ones for them. Each kid’s path is different, even in the same family.

I just went back to read that initial exchange - from Dec of 2019! A lot has happened since then. Our last exchange was when there was still so much uncertainty in what was going to happen b/c of the pandemic. My twins were going to be at the camp of the program you and I discussed this very weekend (Covid hit our house so they had to skip).

Since this is a “brag thread” - my older kid has done pretty well in her first two year in the Pac. It’s been a lot of fun to watch (especially her games at UCLA and in front of the school just blocks from her HS) and I can’t believe she’s halfway done (that is, if she chooses not to use her Covid “bonus” year). There’s enough data there to know that she has a chance to keep playing at a high level post-college - it will be her choice, which is cool, rather than a question of whether she can. The choices we made for her and with her at U12 and U13 (which is when she moved clubs) turned out great for her. I hope the choices we have made for and with my younger 2 will turn out to be the right ones for them. Each kid’s path is different, even in the same family.
That is so great to hear! Congratulations to you and your daughter!

At its best, youth soccer is a place where young boys and girls learn some of the mental toughness, work ethic, and positive mentality necessary to lead successful, fulfilling lives as adults. If your child is able to capitalize on that experience, make life-long friends, inspire and help others, and use their athletic talents to help get a college education, it's all gravy. Anyone who's read my posts on this forum knows I have plenty of criticisms of youth club soccer, but this post is all about the gratitude for what it has given my daughter, and by extension, given us as parents.

Today we're loading up the car and driving my GK to drop her off at college for her freshman year. Under normal circumstances, she would have been on campus already, practicing with the team and eyeing her chance at seeing the field in her first college games. Under normal circumstances, I'd have already posted brags here about how her team finished their final season of club soccer and how awesome her coach and teammates and team parents had been, and how everyone needs to enjoy this time while they can because it's over before you know it. But these aren't normal circumstances. It's been a tough year for everyone. 2020 is not for the faint of heart nor for the rigid of mind. But I would wager that as far as youth soccer goes, the class of '20 has had it worst of all. This is the class that got caught in no-man's land with NCAA recruiting changes. This is the class that endured the birth-year change at the most critical point between youngers and olders, seeing long-standing teams broken up and coaching changes beyond even the normal carousel of club soccer. This is the class that got the brunt of every major league change and destabilizing club moves since the SCDSL broke up the CSL monopoly; ending with the girls DA fiasco. It's been brutal. Losing their graduation, losing prom, losing their goodbyes to their teams and coaches, losing their freshman year experience, losing their freshman soccer seasons for those who went on to potentially play at the next level.

But she's a goalkeeper. This is what she's trained to do. You see the play shifting in front of you; the counter attack is sudden. The shot comes from an unexpected angle; the ball takes a deflection. The ref calls "hand ball" in the box on your defender when the ball clearly hit her upper arm, close to her body. The PK taker feints, comes to a near stop to pull you off the line and goes the other way. You react and make the save, but the ref blows the whistle and gives them a re-take because someone ran into the box too early. The ball goes in the net. It's not fair. But you can't dwell on that. You have to erase it. Make the next play. See the next shot. Make the next save.

She's a goalkeeper. She knows what losing feels like. She knows getting beat. She knows what it's like to put in 2x the practice time because you're expected to make every team practice and every club GK workout AND do private training on your own. She knows what it's like to get yanked in the middle of a game for a bad play; to get cut from the team. Been there done that. Knocked to the ground. Trampled. Kicked in the head. And always getting back up.

She's a goalkeeper. Goalkeepers don't get the glory... not often, anyway. But that's okay. She doesn't do it for the glory. She does it because everyone depends on her to do her job, and do it well at all times, to never let up, and she likes it that way.

She's a goalkeeper. Goalkeepers react to things that are outside of their control, and do everything in their power to get it back under their control. Goalkeepers have to be the most resilient, most mentally tough players on the field. And never has there been a time in our lives that required more resilience, more mental toughness.

I'm bragging today on my kid today, not because she's a stud athlete who got recruited to play college soccer, or got a scholarship, or because she was an ODP selection, or because she played in a national elite league, or won National Cup or Surf Cup, or worked as an intern using soccer as an outreach to underprivileged girls in another country in her off seasons, or raised $2000 in donations to provide equipment for those girls, or because she played on the "A" team, or won a PK shoot-out. I'm bragging on her because she lost her first 10 club soccer games by an average score of 11-1, got cut, got demoted to the "B" team, got pulled in a big game for letting in howlers, got trampled, kicked in the head, lost numerous PK shootouts, lost tournaments, lost playoff games, was overlooked by college coaches for months while her teammates committed to school after school, and then lost her entire final season, her prom, and her graduation to COVID19, and and still accomplished all of that above. She is a bright, shining hope for the future, and it simultaneously breaks my heart to lose her irrepressible presence in our house, and fills it with joy to see her step between the goal posts on the field of life. And even if she never sets foot on a soccer field again, I'll be forever grateful for everything that the game, her teammates, and especially her coaches have given her to help prepare her for this crazy, unpredictable, sometimes ugly, and sometimes beautiful, life.

Thanks to everyone on this forum (except one or two who will go unnamed ;) ) for all your encouragement and knowledge and guidance. I'll do my best to pay it forward to the newbies.

This. This is exactly right, from the 0-8 games where your kid does everything possible to keep it an 8 goal game. To being told they're too short to play Division 1. To cheering the opposing Keeper when they make a great play. To knowing that the downside, created by being one half-second late, may cost your team the game, that a great save quickly becomes the next shot by the opponent.

Thanks to all for the positivity here, keeping us GK parents sane, while our kids just look forward to the next game, the next challenge, the next diving-save.

This. This is exactly right, from the 0-8 games where your kid does everything possible to keep it an 8 goal game. To being told they're too short to play Division 1. To cheering the opposing Keeper when they make a great play. To knowing that the downside, created by being one half-second late, may cost your team the game, that a great save quickly becomes the next shot by the opponent.

Thanks to all for the positivity here, keeping us GK parents sane, while our kids just look forward to the next game, the next challenge, the next diving-save.

Entering our senior year HS still hoping for the elusive college offer, and she's a smart enough kid she'll go to college regardless of soccer. 4 year varsity players, scored several goals FROSH year before moving full-time to GK her Soph season. Can't believe we're to final season of Club and HS - I'm probably being overly sentimental but wanted to share my thanks with those who post here as our journey starts its last season.

This topic hasn't moved for a bit, so I'll brag about my kid. She is getting her 3rd varsity letter. Has basketball and soccer, now added track. Just set a PR in 100 Meter of 13.3. Second fastest at her school this year. She thinks she will break 13 since she is still getting into shape (field players have that advantage over the goalkeeper). I know, still a ways off from Alyssa Thompson, but not bad for a goalkeeper.

Hope things are going well for the keeper parents here. Praying for no injuries, finding the right college, and kicking butt once in college.

This topic hasn't moved for a bit, so I'll brag about my kid. She is getting her 3rd varsity letter. Has basketball and soccer, now added track. Just set a PR in 100 Meter of 13.3. Second fastest at her school this year. She thinks she will break 13 since she is still getting into shape (field players have that advantage over the goalkeeper). I know, still a ways off from Alyssa Thompson, but not bad for a goalkeeper.

Hope things are going well for the keeper parents here. Praying for no injuries, finding the right college, and kicking butt once in college.

That’s amazing! Stay fast!

Hope everyone's seasons went well, and some new keepers have committed to college. My kid had an interesting year. Having a senior keeper on the team she wasn't expecting many minutes, but wanted to be the second keeper so she could travel. Mission accomplished. The bad news was she ended up with zero minutes. The good news is she will be a redshirt freshman next year, and if she works hard, should be the starting keeper.

Back