Sporting California! What are they doing?

Looks like Sporting California is making its teams battle for the ECRL spots.. doesn’t seem fair as teams weren’t given a heads up about it, and have held tryouts and given out offers to players. Looks like this is all brought up by the director of the Temecula chapter Jenny Lawlor whose teams didn’t fare well at NPL level. It is sad that Sporting California would do this to the current families and players.. no wonder they are losing players and teams and have a bad reputation.. it’s directors are really misguided about how to keep families happy and keep a program growing..

Looks like Sporting California is making its teams battle for the ECRL spots.. doesn’t seem fair as teams weren’t given a heads up about it, and have held tryouts and given out offers to players. Looks like this is all brought up by the director of the Temecula chapter Jenny Lawlor whose teams didn’t fare well at NPL level. It is sad that Sporting California would do this to the current families and players.. no wonder they are losing players and teams and have a bad reputation.. it’s directors are really misguided about how to keep families happy and keep a program growing..
How are they going to do this, just at the end of the season? Or are they going to have pre season games before the start of this coming season to see who gets ECRL? Because sporting South is already claiming they offer ECRL. Though I believe it is ECRL SoCal and there doing a bait and switch. Just my opinion anyway.

Sporting recently added a branch in OC. Maybe they want to have RL at that branch. Instead of just giving it to them, they have the branches fight over it. The distance between the two branches would explain why it’s not possible to build a RL team.

As per their own info, they are having all the teams in the club under that age bracket battle it out (round-robin) and the one on top will challenge the ECRL team. the thing here is that you do have some RL teams that are battling/struggling (even NL teams) but when compared to the numbers of the other teams in question trying to get the ECRL batch/category, they are by far bellow, just looks at the stats. There are teams that in a flight 1 probably only won 3-4 games and now challenging teams with 7-11 wins, how is that/those teams supposed to get better if they cut the process. We all know anything can happen in a game and any team could beat anyone,but when they can't even mantain a season how can they move up just cuz of 1 game? what accomplisments have they had?

It's true. We've just been told our current ECRL team has to battle Jenny Lawlor's NPL team from Sporting Temecula. No warning, just that we will have a "playoff" game scheduled with them sometime soon to determine this. Nevermind the fact that we had ECNL/ECRL tryouts last month that her entire team would have been welcome to attend. Also, we have numerous end of season injuries and girls who cannot attend this game due to pre-planned vacations, etc... My thought is if anyone wants to play NL or RL they are welcome to tryout and if anyone thinks they should coach one of those teams, that coach should present that to the director and make the argument they should coach that team. Rather than have their entire team displace an existing team. Lots of girls will be leaving as there are other, better choices to go to in the area...Sporting has a hard enough time keeping players and this is for sure creating a mass exodus as well...

I know people at two separate clubs that moved under the Sporting USA banner for the upcoming season. Albion North out of the Escondido area and Rebels East out of El Cajon area. Both teams, same year group, played NPL last season, were assured that they would be playing in the SoCal RL2 league this year. Not sure how that is going to work? I haven't seen any specifics about how RL2 is going to work, but I highly doubt any clubs are going to be allowed to have two teams in the same league. Maybe Sporting will have a tournament between Temecula, Norco, OC, South Bay, Escondido, and El Cajon and the winners get the spot???

It's true. We've just been told our current ECRL team has to battle Jenny Lawlor's NPL team from Sporting Temecula. No warning, just that we will have a "playoff" game scheduled with them sometime soon to determine this. Nevermind the fact that we had ECNL/ECRL tryouts last month that her entire team would have been welcome to attend. Also, we have numerous end of season injuries and girls who cannot attend this game due to pre-planned vacations, etc... My thought is if anyone wants to play NL or RL they are welcome to tryout and if anyone thinks they should coach one of those teams, that coach should present that to the director and make the argument they should coach that team. Rather than have their entire team displace an existing team. Lots of girls will be leaving as there are other, better choices to go to in the area...Sporting has a hard enough time keeping players and this is for sure creating a mass exodus as well...
What age bracket is that? What other ages will be playing each other? Please share the game date/time info when you have it.

What Sporting is doing is giving small club strong teams access to ECNL and EA…isn’t this what we have always liked to see? Why are you guys complaining?

Quick look at Soccer Rankings shows that the Sporting USA West teams are out performing Lawler in the G2008 ans G2009 groups. Are they going to get a shot at the RL spot as well? They have a stronger claim to it if Sporting is implementing an internal promotion/relegation system.

What Sporting is doing is giving small club strong teams access to ECNL and EA…isn’t this what we have always liked to see? Why are you guys complaining?
Any player from any smaller team has access to tryout for teams at that level - this is a team at the same club seeking to displace another team. But most large clubs try to do this. They will take an entire team from another club to displace a current team at their club. As no one cares about development and loyalty is a one-way street.

What age bracket is that? What other ages will be playing each other? Please share the game date/time info when you have it.
Several age groups on the girls' side. Currently we haven't been given a date or time for this game. Been told one game, not a round robin.

Not really fair if you've already announced tryouts, signed players, and taken money for those teams....if you are going to do this, should be done BEFORE try out offers are made contracts are sent out because the better players are going to leave if you demote them. If they had had made me sign a contract, had stated we are playing in particular league next year, and then pulled a bait and switch I would damn well be screaming for a refund. So I guess my view on it is it depends on where people are in the process, not that it's necessarily a bad thing per se.

Some of these teams that the south are bringing aren’t good enough! If you couldn’t win your league, then they shouldn’t earn the right to try to compete for a higher league.. earn what you get! Trying to be sneaky and take what’s not yours it’s not the way! Bad look for Sporting!
I think Sporting is doing the right thing. Why should a branch get all the benefits? Spread the love.

yes and no,...yes when you have the actual accolades, but when you don't then a hard no.
for example, ECRL G10 7 W/11-L/9-T/4-GD/10 to the next highest NPL G10 W/2-T/6-L/3-GD/-6.
And i marked the NPL since the rest even their numbers are higher than the NPL team they are still in lower flights.

I think Sporting is doing the right thing. Why should a branch get all the benefits? Spread the love.
I somewhat agree. Slammers, Surf, City, Legends, should all have a club round Robin playoff to determine what team fill the ECNL/GA/EA spots.

I don’t think there goal is about spreading the love. It’s about money. I think her pitch (south branch) to sporting was to take over the Temecula and surrounding area market using the “ECRL” brand, to try and stick it to her previous employer and try to take them out. which in turn brings in alot of new teams and $$$ in for sporting. Which could possibly work if you can actually pull the real ECRL into Temecula, not just the ECRL2. But it also risks other branch exodus if they get demoted.

Not really fair if you've already announced tryouts, signed players, and taken money for those teams....if you are going to do this, should be done BEFORE try out offers are made contracts are sent out because the better players are going to leave if you demote them. If they had had made me sign a contract, had stated we are playing in particular league next year, and then pulled a bait and switch I would damn well be screaming for a refund. So I guess my view on it is it depends on where people are in the process, not that it's necessarily a bad thing per se.
Yep. Any player that is on a SOCAL league team can leave before 01 July without paying or any requirement to pay. If your player signed up to be on and ECNL/ECRL roster and is now not, you don't have to follow any ECNL roster rules, you are free to work with other clubs. Given the scenario, IMO a small claims court would be a pretty easy win if the club refused refunds. Placing the best teams in a hierarchy is one thing, but the timing of this team shuffle, and deception of multiple teams being told the same thing about other league positions makes this whole thing stink.

Back