Sporting California South, what’s your thoughts?

Soccer929

BRONZE
It appears Sporting California has started a South branch to try and pickup the Temecula, Murrieta and surrounding area market. I am local to this area, DD playing for another local club.
I am just looking for some thoughts or maybe some insight into this move. Specifically what leagues they could offer, or what kind of movement this could cause in the area between clubs. Would they be able to offer ECNL at some point? GA? Is this a good club to have in the area? Or just all about the money as usual. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

It appears Sporting California has started a South branch to try and pickup the Temecula, Murrieta and surrounding area market. I am local to this area, DD playing for another local club.
I am just looking for some thoughts or maybe some insight into this move. Specifically what leagues they could offer, or what kind of movement this could cause in the area between clubs. Would they be able to offer ECNL at some point? GA? Is this a good club to have in the area? Or just all about the money as usual. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
Market share bro. I lived it for 7 years. Arsenal South, Legends South, Carlsbad City Soccer Temecula, Murrieta Surf, ect. Someone needs to start a Temecula/Murrieta Locals only club. 100% could win. Slammers, Strikers and Blues also recruit a few top players.

Speaking in general about the letter leagues, they tend not to offer affiliates/branches spots at the top of the division. There are a variety of reasons, and a few exceptions, but the best affiliates can generally shoot for is EA on the boys side and ECRL on the girls side (from reports on this forum, Santa Monica surf might have found that out the hard way when it comes to MLS Next). To play at the highest levels, you'll generally have to go to the main hub (which is one of the benefits to the main club or having branches...they get to pick from amongst the best in their various offshoots).

Another big question is whether its an affiliate or a branch. A branch means it's part of the same club but at a different location. An affiliate means its a different club just using the name and agreeing to partner. It affects what the day to day leadership of the club looks like.

Finally, the big issue with Temecula/Murrieta is that it is a relatively small market (in comparison to say San Diego or Los Angeles). It means a lot of competition for players, which means it makes the competition among clubs fierce, but it also hampers their ability to put together workable squads that can be successful and rise to higher levels. On the girls side, there are probably more clubs there than is sustainable, especially at the older ages when the herd begins to thin out as kids do other things....the question is which ones come out on top (on the boys side it's been Murrieta which is MLS Next, but they have to compete for players against the Pomona clubs and San Diego clubs)

Speaking in general about the letter leagues, they tend not to offer affiliates/branches spots at the top of the division. There are a variety of reasons, and a few exceptions, but the best affiliates can generally shoot for is EA on the boys side and ECRL on the girls side (from reports on this forum, Santa Monica surf might have found that out the hard way when it comes to MLS Next). To play at the highest levels, you'll generally have to go to the main hub (which is one of the benefits to the main club or having branches...they get to pick from amongst the best in their various offshoots).

Another big question is whether its an affiliate or a branch. A branch means it's part of the same club but at a different location. An affiliate means its a different club just using the name and agreeing to partner. It affects what the day to day leadership of the club looks like.

Finally, the big issue with Temecula/Murrieta is that it is a relatively small market (in comparison to say San Diego or Los Angeles). It means a lot of competition for players, which means it makes the competition among clubs fierce, but it also hampers their ability to put together workable squads that can be successful and rise to higher levels. On the girls side, there are probably more clubs there than is sustainable, especially at the older ages when the herd begins to thin out as kids do other things....the question is which ones come out on top (on the boys side it's been Murrieta which is MLS Next, but they have to compete for players against the Pomona clubs and San Diego clubs)

This is what is states on their instagram page.

sportinca_south

“Exciting news! Sporting California USA is expanding.
We are absolutely thrilled to announce the opening of our new branch, the sporting California south region in the vibrant Temecula, Murrieta, and surrounding areas.”

it would seem it is a new branch.

Excellent points Grace. Branding is key to the dumb dads like me. When I was coaching in the local Rec league when my dd was 6 in Temecula, it was actually a feeder league controlled by Arsenal South as a branch to the Arsenal Hub, which was the top club out San Bernardino. I was a dumb dad and I actually thought the Arsenal was a part of the Hub in England. Not sure if they had to pay a License fee to use that logo. I was told that coaches with an accent will come from England and put on clinics. That never happened. The Legends FC Hub open a branch up in Temecula called, Legends South and the rest is history. Lot's of great talent out of Lake Elsinore, Temecula and Murrieta and surrounding areas. I coached a real good player out of Anza.

Yes. I am aware of that. That’s where DD is and on GA. But was wondering if sporting will be able to compete with that in this area or offer something better?
The issue with Temecula/Murrieta is top talent parents seem ok with traveling to SD or OC to play for "better" teams. As long this continues to occur it wont matter if its GA or ECNL, clubs will have the same challenges filling out rosters.

Yes. I am aware of that. That’s where DD is and on GA. But was wondering if sporting will be able to compete with that in this area or offer something better?
I would change the name to, "Southwest Soccer Club" and recruit in the whole Valley. You must live in the area by proof of address. Sorry, no one allowed from OC, SD or anyone past the 91 and 215. I would allow top talent talent from Moreno Valley but that would be the cut off.

Actually, I take back my coverage area to recruit in. Corona is not invited, sorry. Mo Val 100% can come down the 215. Lake Elsinore would be my cut off. I still have PTSD from the crazy father from Lake Elsinore wanting to fight me but I think the peeps are good in LE, for the most part :cool:

Depends what you mean by "better." If you mean them finding a great coach for individual teams, that's possible. If you mean joining one of the letter leagues, that would likely take years for that to happen, if at all. In the Girls' ECNL land, their highest finish was 5/9 accross all age groups in the Sonoran.

If I had to read the tea leaves, starting a "South branch" is likely a move to create a feeder system to get the best players to the main hub.

Depends what you mean by "better." If you mean them finding a great coach for individual teams, that's possible. If you mean joining one of the letter leagues, that would likely take years for that to happen, if at all. In the Girls' ECNL land, their highest finish was 5/9 accross all age groups in the Sonoran.

If I had to read the tea leaves, starting a "South branch" is likely a move to create a feeder system to get the best players to the main hub.

As far as better, I just meant ECNL. Not trying to get into the whole ECNL, GA argument though. Just figured if ECNL was offered over here that would be a huge selling point for them. But figured that was a pipe dream.
Just with “another”club over here,I’m worried it is going to just dilute the teams down even more. I guess it’s just history repeating itself is all.

Depends what you mean by "better." If you mean them finding a great coach for individual teams, that's possible. If you mean joining one of the letter leagues, that would likely take years for that to happen, if at all. In the Girls' ECNL land, their highest finish was 5/9 accross all age groups in the Sonoran MOJAVE.

Just realized that mistake.

As far as better, I just meant ECNL. Not trying to get into the whole ECNL, GA argument though. Just figured if ECNL was offered over here that would be a huge selling point for them. But figured that was a pipe dream.
Just with “another”club over here,I’m worried it is going to just dilute the teams down even more. I guess it’s just history repeating itself is all.
Arsenal South parents were promised that BS years ago. It's a feeder for top talent and selling the other parents the "pipe dream" of either making the Hub's top team or getting a college deal to Chico State or Vermont U.

1685037180514.png

Just figured if ECNL was offered over here that would be a huge selling point for them. I guess it’s just history repeating itself is all.
10 teams of avg 16+ players=160+players x$3000+privetes+ Uniform Kit= over $600,000+ Not bad. Add B teams and your over a million. Grace how much you think the Hub gets? Hotels, gas stations and restaurants in all counties and States are proud sponsors of youth soccer. Not saying that is bad, it's just super expensive to play youth soccer. Good luck Temecula Valley. I feel your pain...

I agree that it is likely just creating a feeder system. But in my experence the feeder branches are not actually used to bring in players. The branch helps with branding/advertising of the hub through their exsistance, and help feed the hub through the additional funds brought into the club. The branch in turn benifits from the administration/insurance/politcs burden of soccer being shifted to the larger orginization. The hub and branch will not seek to remove good players from the "feeder" teams because it will weaken the branch; the top team of the hub will bring in players from other clubs, or players from the feeder teams who seek out the move themselves and make it clear they will longer play with the branch team. Also, in my observations over the years, it is extremely rare for a club to make liner moves of players within the club; but moving up a level of play by switching clubs is very common.

The issue with Temecula/Murrieta is top talent parents seem ok with traveling to SD or OC to play for "better" teams. As long this continues to occur it wont matter if its GA or ECNL, clubs will have the same challenges filling out rosters.
This is me and my dd driving Ortega Hwy in the SUV back in 2015. I agree with you but it was also a big freaking disaster of broken promises and division of 6 branches of Hubs from everywhere and a few local teams that sucked. Dad's like me were clueless. Asshats on here thought I risked my life driving 2 days a week to OC because I just wanted to win. Not true. My dd wanted to win and when Tad calls, you listened back then bro. My wife's bff was coached by Tad. I had no idea who he was but I sure in the heck knew about the Blues. They beat us 8-0 all the time. Surf destroyed our little team as well. So, I did my research and let my dd play in the Sunday Scrimmages and let her and Tad chat. After much thought and prayer, she chose Tad. I drove and the reward for my dd was a State Cup Champion, Surf Cup Champion, Blues Cup and a few more medals :)

1685047726768.png

This is what is states on their instagram page.

sportinca_south

“Exciting news! Sporting California USA is expanding.
We are absolutely thrilled to announce the opening of our new branch, the sporting California south region in the vibrant Temecula, Murrieta, and surrounding areas.”

it would seem it is a new branch.
The reason the branch/affiliate distinction is important is because the majority of the leagues restrict clubs from having two teams in the same tier (some exceptions, like LA Surf having 2 in the EA which I've never been able to get to the bottom of). So if the hub already has an ECRL or EA team, the branch isn't going to be able to have one. An affiliate, however, usually can. The takeaways for seeing if something is an affiliate is if they have separate nonprofit corp filings, or sometimes separate DOCs.

The reason the branch/affiliate distinction is important is because the majority of the leagues restrict clubs from having two teams in the same tier (some exceptions, like LA Surf having 2 in the EA which I've never been able to get to the bottom of). So if the hub already has an ECRL or EA team, the branch isn't going to be able to have one. An affiliate, however, usually can. The takeaways for seeing if something is an affiliate is if they have separate nonprofit corp filings, or sometimes separate DOCs.
GA allows top clubs to have 2 teams per age group. Currently Top Hat and Lonestar have 2 teams. CitySC will likely have a 2nd GA team per age group next year.

Back