Sexual Harrassment at Surf San Diego

There's a considerable projection in any of the previous posts regarding why there aren't more / more successful female coaches, and using personal experience is anecdotal. However, doing so in my daughter's case would show that the only female head coach she had in club soccer was a two-time national champ and the coach of the D1 national champions in her first year of college play is a woman.

Also, in terms of team culture, the club coach I mentioned above is exceptional. I still remember the first time I saw her coach. Her demeanor on the sideline was calm, her communication was always constructive, and her team played skilled soccer. Over time, I saw her responses to winning and losing, and it was exactly the behavior I wanted my daughter to model. A few years later, my daughter joined a team she coached, and I observed the same positive behavior in training and in communicating with parents. If we could do it over again and only select one coach, she would be the one.

I don't claim to know why we don't have more / more successful female coaches at the club level. It may have to do with the fact that many of the more successful ones get better opportunities. I know that Quakes/Bay Area had two - Erin Ridley, who is now with the boys' side of the Earthquakes, and Natalia Astrain, who is now coaching the USWNT U17s. Also, Margueritte Aozasa was coaching at MVLA. My take is we need more women coaches at the club level coaching girls - and boys if they are so inclined.
Great takes bro and it comes with experience. Coach Heather was someone who taught my dd some amazing things. UCLA got a great coach and I will be rooting them on forever to win each year. Men will be men and when the men begin to share more, then things will even out :) I hope you still love me man because I was told 99% hate me on here.....lol!

There is not a single female coach on Surf's website. All male coaching staff. For having such a robust girls program that is just unacceptable. And definitely a red flag.
Get off the woke train. The Surf staff is all very qualified to coach the top level of ECNL talent. They draw talented players from all over SoCal and they make them better. It doesn’t matter the sex of the coach…if you have the coaching pedigree, Surf doesn’t care whether you are male or female. If Stony Casey wanted to work there, I’m sure she would fit in just fine. Rob Becerra‘s actions were inexcusable. Several female coaches have come and gone over the years and now have the “top” team in the age group at clubs like Sharks. If those coaches were good enough to have the top team at Surf, that would have happened. Whether the coach is male or female, it makes no difference…players (NWSL, YNT, or D1 college) get outstanding exposure at Surf. If you know anything about club soccer and your daughter grows up in a program, you are gonna have 3-4 coaches over her decade with that program. You have no say whether those coaches are male or female unless you hop clubs for a specific coach. If you want your daughter to play at the next level, Surf is a nationally recognized gold standard. It is true world wide—there need to be more top level female coaches, Surf is not alone in its lack of diversity. Standing by for incoming….bash away.

Get off the woke train. The Surf staff is all very qualified to coach the top level of ECNL talent. They draw talented players from all over SoCal and they make them better. It doesn’t matter the sex of the coach…if you have the coaching pedigree, Surf doesn’t care whether you are male or female. If Stony Casey wanted to work there, I’m sure she would fit in just fine. Rob Becerra‘s actions were inexcusable. Several female coaches have come and gone over the years and now have the “top” team in the age group at clubs like Sharks. If those coaches were good enough to have the top team at Surf, that would have happened. Whether the coach is male or female, it makes no difference…players (NWSL, YNT, or D1 college) get outstanding exposure at Surf. If you know anything about club soccer and your daughter grows up in a program, you are gonna have 3-4 coaches over her decade with that program. You have no say whether those coaches are male or female unless you hop clubs for a specific coach. If you want your daughter to play at the next level, Surf is a nationally recognized gold standard. It is true world wide—there need to be more top level female coaches, Surf is not alone in its lack of diversity. Standing by for incoming….bash away.
It's good to have debates LouSag and I agree with what you said in some ways and in some ways I disagree. Butter up folks, let it rip....lol!

Last edited:

Claiming Surf is doing something wrong just because its top coaches are men misunderstands cause and effect. Would it be nice if there were more qualified women? Maybe, although youth soccer coach is a low-paying terrible job for all but a handful of people compared to just about anything, so I'm not sure more women coaching youth soccer really does much for equality or women's rights the way some people seem to think.

There are some very simple reasons why there are so few qualified women youth coaches. (1) Virtually all qualified women coaches coach college instead, where there is some actual money, job security, prestige and potential. Any woman with a brain and ability will take the college track over being a pro kiddie soccer coach. There just aren't many women left after those who are most committed to coaching soccer have taken jobs in the college pipeline. (2) Very few women look at kiddie soccer coach as a real job, and they shouldn't. Virtually every single young woman in the U.S. who has any clue about soccer also has a college degree, which they are squandering by coaching youth soccer. (3) Certainly there has been awful stereotyping and underestimating women's abilities as a whole historically, which has deterred many women from trying to become great youth soccer coaches. But if someone is going to accuse any particular club of discriminating, they need to prove it instead of assuming that a lack of women coaching at a club must be proof of discrimination. They need to identify who has applied, what their credentials are, and how they stacked up to those who were actually hired.

In other words, looking at how few women soccer coaches have been hired at Surf tells you nothing without knowing how many women have applied and what their qualifications are compared to those who got the jobs. I can't tell you much about individual hiring decisions at Surf historically, other than I can say I don't know of any woman - or man for that matter - who is more qualified than Deza to help girls use soccer as a means to get into a top-level school and also maybe get some scholarship money. Even if there are, they did not apply for the position at Surf.

Claiming Surf is doing something wrong just because its top coaches are men misunderstands cause and effect. Would it be nice if there were more qualified women? Maybe, although youth soccer coach is a low-paying terrible job for all but a handful of people compared to just about anything, so I'm not sure more women coaching youth soccer really does much for equality or women's rights the way some people seem to think.

There are some very simple reasons why there are so few qualified women youth coaches. (1) Virtually all qualified women coaches coach college instead, where there is some actual money, job security, prestige and potential. Any woman with a brain and ability will take the college track over being a pro kiddie soccer coach. There just aren't many women left after those who are most committed to coaching soccer have taken jobs in the college pipeline. (2) Very few women look at kiddie soccer coach as a real job, and they shouldn't. Virtually every single young woman in the U.S. who has any clue about soccer also has a college degree, which they are squandering by coaching youth soccer. (3) Certainly there has been awful stereotyping and underestimating women's abilities as a whole historically, which has deterred many women from trying to become great youth soccer coaches. But if someone is going to accuse any particular club of discriminating, they need to prove it instead of assuming that a lack of women coaching at a club must be proof of discrimination. They need to identify who has applied, what their credentials are, and how they stacked up to those who were actually hired.

In other words, looking at how few women soccer coaches have been hired at Surf tells you nothing without knowing how many women have applied and what their qualifications are compared to those who got the jobs. I can't tell you much about individual hiring decisions at Surf historically, other than I can say I don't know of any woman - or man for that matter - who is more qualified than Deza to help girls use soccer as a means to get into a top-level school and also maybe get some scholarship money. Even if there are, they did not apply for the position at Surf.
Liar liar liar!!! What happen to the Doc before Rob?

This^^^^. Spot on remarks about women with soccer credentials and a degree are better off putting that degree to use in the real world.

And Deza does the job that Surf pays him to do very well.

Fat shaming, sexual harrassment, mental abuse & retaliation if one dares to speak out and report to the boss at the highest levels in soccer.

Fat shaming, sexual harrassment, mental abuse & retaliation if one dares to speak out and report to the boss at the highest levels in soccer.

Wow, these coaches were brazen and ridiculous in the way they treated female athletes.

This is institutionalized behaviour.

The players need more power and protections.

Wow, these coaches were brazen and ridiculous in the way they treated female athletes.

This is institutionalized behaviour.

The players need more power and protections.
The solutions NWSL proposed are stupid. You cant change institutionalized issues with HR trainings.

Heres some easy fixes that would address overnight.

Option 1 - Get rid of coaches and let teams/players coach themselves. As long as no teams in the league have coaches everyone is on the same level.

Option 2 - Make all coaches contracts tied to a single season + teams / players choose the coaches they would like to be coached by season after season. (Basicaly make coaches like players in how they're recruited and employed.)

This is not Surf, but Thacher School in Ojai. In the middle of this report (pages 14-27) is much detail on how the girls' soccer coach preyed on members of the team for years. If you have a daughter of that age, this may be a tough read.

download_6223895.pdf (myschoolapp.com)
Wow that Thatcher report was painful to read. Unfortunately I've heard of this type of thing happening at every boarding school. Disgusting perverts look for places like these where they can pray on children who are not equipped to fight back.

Reguarding the Thatcher soccer coach abusing players. He used the same type of tactics that abusive college coaches use to get close and take advantage of the youth.

As a parent you need to try your absolute best to explain to kids that they dont need to do what adults say when it doesnt seem right. Also kids need to understand that no team is worth playing for if it requires allowing yourself to be taken advantage of. Just quit + there will be other opportunities.

Wow that Thatcher report was painful to read. Unfortunately I've heard of this type of thing happening at every boarding school. Disgusting perverts look for places like these where they can pray on children who are not equipped to fight back.

Reguarding the Thatcher soccer coach abusing players. He used the same type of tactics that abusive college coaches use to get close and take advantage of the youth.

As a parent you need to try your absolute best to explain to kids that they dont need to do what adults say when it doesnt seem right. Also kids need to understand that no team is worth playing for if it requires allowing yourself to be taken advantage of. Just quit + there will be other opportunities.
Another point you can get from reading the whole report -- the head of the school had become a public embarrassment to the Board of Trustees because of the way he treated girl students and because of his obvious alcohol issues. However, the Board didn't want to fire him because he was so good at fundraising. As a compromise, they gave him an Emeritus position - he was still living at the school but had little contact with the students, and he could continue his fundraising.

Back