Separate private divisions for playoffs with soccer

Part time (PT) players are another avenue that some use....wavier time has passed so doesn't apply in most cases ..as long as they don't convert to FT. 12 games now so that can be generous
First year it was one big push. No part time playa's first year bro. All or nothing and we went for horrible HS Soccer and ECNL. Were super happy today but two years ago this time through Aprils was a nightmare of lies and rumors and more lies mixed in with some more rumors.

Last year was the same lies & rumors of others lying and then others saying one thing but doing another thing the complete opposite and theirs nothing you can do because the coach knows all the other coaches so you can;t complain that and say you told me 18 and I see 20? You get the point. This lie is bad for players 17, 18, 19, and 20. Two don;t get to play. I don;t like it when a coach says one things and then pulls that stunt.

Last edited:
First year it was one big push. No part time playa's first year bro. All or nothing and we went for horrible HS Soccer and ECNL. Were super happy today but two years ago this time through Aprils was a nightmare of lies and rumors and more lies mixed in with some more rumors.

Last year was the same lies & rumors of others lying and then others saying one thing but doing another thing the complete opposite and theirs nothing you can do because the coach knows all the other coaches so you can;t complain that and say you told me 18 and I see 20? You get the point. This lie is bad for players 17, 18, 19, and 20. Two don;t get to play. I don;t like it when a coach says one things and then pulls that stunt.

Yeah part time players where formaly known as development players (DP) and limited to 6 games that first year so not as popular but some clubs still used them and some players have been known to play ECNL, DA, HS, and even regular club all the same season. Not for us but it happens with both the boys & girls.

Part time (PT) players are another avenue that some use....wavier time has passed so doesn't apply in most cases ..as long as they don't convert to FT. 12 games now so that can be generous
[/ There are SEVERAL full time players playing for private schools

Yes FT every year including this one like i mentioned in prior posts in this thread.

Since CIF does a quasi rel/pro each year for the different divisions and some public schools are completive while some private ones are down in 4-7 in some cases not sure what a separate private division will benefit? Why close something that is now open?

There has been chatter about this for a long time. Per the AD meeting its the fact that DA kids are allowed to play DA for Privates and not public. The last straw.

And yes, there are private schools that are not recruiting athletes or giving financial aid for sports. OL soccer is a prime example, but they could.

There has always been an uneven playing field with recruiting, unlimited boundaries, etc. Recruiting for athletic endeavors and athletic-based financial aid has increased a lot in the past decade, and what was reserved for football and basketball has leaked into many sports and per reports that may lead to a proposal to make the change. It's not unprecedented as there are several states that have gone down this path and it has worked for both groups.

One last thing-

Anybody in the club world knows the boys private school soccer arms race started with Cathedral and to a lesser extend Servite around the 2016 season. JSerra on the girls side was the prime mover- Rosery is next up- you'll see. It has ramped up exponentially the last couple of seasons and the DA card was a key factor as well as developing a club pipeline. Its a much easier process to get kids to a boundriless private school that is offering a strong financial incentive to attend (needs based or not- trust me there are kids getting financial assistance for sports only) than to get families to lie about residency to attend a public school.

Also, dont be naive enough to think there is not a gentlemen's agreements not to report undue influence etc between trinity league teams. There is.

One last thing-

Anybody in the club world knows the boys private school soccer arms race started with Cathedral and to a lesser extend Servite around the 2016 season. JSerra on the girls side was the prime mover- Rosery is next up- you'll see. It has ramped up exponentially the last couple of seasons and the DA card was a key factor as well as developing a club pipeline. Its a much easier process to get kids to a boundriless private school that is offering a strong financial incentive to attend (needs based or not- trust me there are kids getting financial assistance for sports only) than to get families to lie about residency to attend a public school.

Also, dont be naive enough to think there is not a gentlemen's agreements not to report undue influence etc between trinity league teams. There is.

Maybe in OC but LA county has had da players in HS going back 10yrs now and counting.

Have the DA players been playing HS at their private schools for 10 years or is that a new thing??

When the boys DA kicked off 2008 or so, teams were allowed and expected to schedule around their local HS seasons. Then in a couple of years, DA became year-round, but exceptions were allowed for players who had financial incentives to compete with their private HS teams. I expected at that time for someone in CIF to point out that such arrangements were not entirely in accordance with CIF recruiting rules.

Not a peep from CIF.

Money talks, however.

Have the DA players been playing HS at their private schools for 10 years or is that a new thing??

Yes private schools have had da players for as many years as I remember. Our oldest son was playing in 2011 and it like that. I don't think the HS conflict heated up until jurgen came along in what 2013?

There has been chatter about this for a long time. Per the AD meeting its the fact that DA kids are allowed to play DA for Privates and not public. The last straw.

And yes, there are private schools that are not recruiting athletes or giving financial aid for sports. OL soccer is a prime example, but they could.

There has always been an uneven playing field with recruiting, unlimited boundaries, etc. Recruiting for athletic endeavors and athletic-based financial aid has increased a lot in the past decade, and what was reserved for football and basketball has leaked into many sports and per reports that may lead to a proposal to make the change. It's not unprecedented as there are several states that have gone down this path and it has worked for both groups.
Agree, the total domination of CIF championships by private schools in boys soccer is crazy! The statistics show that they dominate...outrage!!!

It's really not necessary. We've already seen what closed leagues look like and no one likes it except the Clubs that are in it. Why make high school soccer a part of it too. It's going to take the joy out of high school soccer. We mind as well just ban high school soccer if we're going to play the Club soccer game there too. Relegation and Promotion are the best things. A better rule change might be "NO DA players can play high school unless/until DA allows all players to play, private and public school students."

Yes private schools have had da players for as many years as I remember. Our oldest son was playing in 2011 and it like that. I don't think the HS conflict heated up until jurgen came along in what 2013?
Excellent point. Jurgen was also was a big help to get SilverLakes off the ground. Legends was created by hard work from JH locally and his teams would beat the Blues, Surf and Slammers sometimes. Then the top ECNL teams would recruit the top players from Legends and Beach around u11 thru U13. This is the root of the problem right here in SoCal everyone imo. Fix this, we can fix socal at the highest level talent wise on the girls side. The rest of the country will do what we do, trust me on that :) We have everything we need right here in SoCal. We can then start working our way down to the next group of goats who feel snubbed and have some fight in them to make the top tier some day. It should be by team too, not by club. We need to all come together and join hands here in SoCal and fix this now imo. Baby steps and can;t make huge change for 2020-2021 season but only the most important ones. I forgive everyone in soccer and I hope you can forgive me. Were not all gonna get what we want that's for sure. My dd has one more year and then all done.

Back