SD League 1st, 2nd Team Awards

SDMama

SILVER ELITE
How does it work for players to be named to league first and second teams? And are the recognized players listed anywhere?

That only shows the City Conference, and I don't know where to look for other areas of te county.
Found this after hit and miss searching: https://www.northcountyconference.com/page/show/7604651-2022-23
The site has links for 2019 and 2022-23. (I wonder that they did for Spring 2021 and 2021-22.)

I heard something about teams getting points for where they placed in league, and that affects how many players they can put on the 1st and 2nd teams, but I don’t know the details. I might be able to reverse-engineer the calculations based on the info posted, but I’m too lazy at the moment.

Quick observations -
Girls Valley: only 5 teams?
Avocado: Mt. Carmel and El Camino are listed as co-champions. El Camino has 3 on each of the 2 teams. Mt. Carmel has 3 on the 1st and only 2 on the 2nd team.
Coastal: Del Norte and Westview are co-champions. DN has 2 on the 1st team and 4 on the 2nd team. WV has 4 on the 1st team and 1 on the 2nd team.
Palomar: Only 10 players listed for each team. No RB players listed. (Maybe they’ll add 1 to each team eventually?)

Couldn’t figure out how players were ordered. Not alphabetically, nor alpha by school (although Palomar has them grouped by school). No grade or positions* listed. Random? :p Do other schools have any input on other schools’ nominees?

Haven’t looked at boys’ side.

While hunting around in the San Diego Section website, I managed to stumble on to the final league standings, which seem to be correct as far as I know.

League Standings - CIF San Diego Section (cifsds.org)

I think the league records are correct, but I don’t think the league alignment is accurate. These girls’ team were not in the same league this year.
689E959C-18C4-466C-9FAD-B160FA238730.jpeg
Here is the All League 1st/2nd team list for Palomar.E75B5428-CB30-485F-BE84-DD9D1403F10C.jpeg

Quick check of the boys’ side also shows inconsistencies in league alignment.

I think the All-League teams are actually All-District selections. I can't understand what the purpose of the Leagues are except to limit the diversity of play. Points are calculated based on Divisions, CIF is based on Division standings. Why should teams be forced to play League Teams twice? Teams could play everyone in the division once instead. If you are in a League with a bunch of lower division teams, it is nearly impossible to move up. More than once this season my DD's team won League games and still ended up losing points on thier average.

I think the league records are correct, but I don’t think the league alignment is accurate. These girls’ team were not in the same league this year.
View attachment 16033
Here is the All League 1st/2nd team list for Palomar.View attachment 16034

Quick check of the boys’ side also shows inconsistencies in league alignment.
This is something where SDS has been slipping badly in the last few years. I don't want to start an inter-sports dispute here, but they always get the football leagues right.

I think the All-League teams are actually All-District selections. I can't understand what the purpose of the Leagues are except to limit the diversity of play. Points are calculated based on Divisions, CIF is based on Division standings. Why should teams be forced to play League Teams twice? Teams could play everyone in the division once instead. If you are in a League with a bunch of lower division teams, it is nearly impossible to move up. More than once this season my DD's team won League games and still ended up losing points on thier average.
Leagues are supposedly set up to reduce travel time and thus classroom disruption. It is long been a custom that you play each league rival twice, once home and once away, to even out the competition.

Leagues are supposedly set up to reduce travel time and thus classroom disruption. It is long been a custom that you play each league rival twice, once home and once away, to even out the competition.
I heard that they are trying to level leagues more going forward to group teams that will be competitive rather than solely based on geography.
There will always be pros and cons no matter how they choose the league alignments. With the later start (and end) times for HS, traveling farther does make it more difficult with players having to miss more of their school day.

This is something where SDS has been slipping badly in the last few years. I don't want to start an inter-sports dispute here, but they always get the football leagues right.
How hard is it to update a spreadsheet with the correct information? It’s 5 minutes worth of work.

How hard is it to update a spreadsheet with the correct information? It’s 5 minutes worth of work.
I noticed at the beginning of the soccer season that the league lineups on the SDS webpage did not match what was carried on Maxpreps, and, according to some posters here and some other people in the know, both of them were wrong. Toward the end of league play it's important that they get them right because of rules or traditions that league champions got special treatment in the playoff brackets.

I remember back in the good old days when North County Times (RIP) carried good game reports and player profiles and kept up to date with things like correct league standings. I guess it is too expensive to hire a professional journalist any more.

I heard that they are trying to level leagues more going forward to group teams that will be competitive rather than solely based on geography.
There will always be pros and cons no matter how they choose the league alignments. With the later start (and end) times for HS, traveling farther does make it more difficult with players having to miss more of their school day.

I hope they try harder next year, because they are almost all very mismatched. Also, the geography of our league didn't favor proximity either.

Back