Sac United - MLS Next and GA

Highlander

SILVER ELITE
Sac United is on fire! First they announce the GA now they announce MLS Next for the boys. Amazing! They aren't even that competitive - but they have a good field situation and location. Good for them! I have to think MLS Next will attract a lot of boys...ECNL just isn't a draw on the boys side. I wonder if this MLS Next + GA combo will start to pick up steam. Definitely will on the boys side...MLS Next is a legit path to the pros if you are good enough.

1651634122978.png

You sound like someone who has kids at Sac United :)

I think for some clubs MLS Next is where they go when they can't get into ECNL. For sure some of the clubs in MLS Next are super legit, but that's not universal.

You sound like someone who has kids at Sac United :)

I think for some clubs MLS Next is where they go when they can't get into ECNL. For sure some of the clubs in MLS Next are super legit, but that's not universal.

But isn't that true of ECNL clubs as well? Some aren't very good...Cough Cough Napa Cough Cough Santa Rosa Cough Cough Pleasanton Cough Cough De Anza Cough Cough. LOL

No, no kid at Sac United...but have been to their fields for the Boo Fest Tournament...had a great time there!

But isn't that true of ECNL clubs as well? Some aren't very good...Cough Cough Napa Cough Cough Santa Rosa Cough Cough Pleasanton Cough Cough De Anza Cough Cough. LOL

No, no kid at Sac United...but have been to their fields for the Boo Fest Tournament...had a great time there!

Yeah I was mostly kidding. Definitely some teams in ECNL that struggle. MLS next clubs don't have to have all of their teams in, right? Sure seems thats the case. That seems like a better model.

Sorry but ECNL has a huge draw on the boys side- tons of college coaches at showcases. Difference is that boys side the kids are getting limited partials. That the case nationally. No boys program competes with ECNL girls. There are so many girls scholarships and they rarely recruit internationally.

Sorry but ECNL has a huge draw on the boys side- tons of college coaches at showcases. Difference is that boys side the kids are getting limited partials. That the case nationally. No boys program competes with ECNL girls. There are so many girls scholarships and they rarely recruit internationally.
Multiple boys parents I've spoken with about this (who are at ECNL clubs) have said Next is the place to be.

It's funny because I also know multiple girls parents at GA clubs that talk the same way about ECNL.

In both cases it didnt seem like their kid cared.

Multiple boys parents I've spoken with about this (who are at ECNL clubs) have said Next is the place to be.

It's funny because I also know multiple girls parents at GA clubs that talk the same way about ECNL.

In both cases it didnt seem like their kid cared.
It doesn’t really matter for boys unless you are serious about playing professionally which the vast majority of players aren’t. There are two very distinct leagues within MLS Next: the fully funded MLS academies and the non MLS clubs. They cannot be considered the same. The non MLS Clubs are no different than ECNL clubs. The fully funded MLS academies have become the top league for boys. They might play the non MLS academies 1 time a season, or not at all in some ages, and with a few exceptions are blow outs and a waste of time for everyone.

It doesn’t really matter for boys unless you are serious about playing professionally which the vast majority of players aren’t. There are two very distinct leagues within MLS Next: the fully funded MLS academies and the non MLS clubs. They cannot be considered the same. The non MLS Clubs are no different than ECNL clubs. The fully funded MLS academies have become the top league for boys. They might play the non MLS academies 1 time a season, or not at all in some ages, and with a few exceptions are blow outs and a waste of time for everyone.
Disclosure: Parent of a player for non MLS Club speaking here.
While I can't argue about quality between MLS academies vs non MLS clubs I don't think it's a waste of time for everyone. Think about those players who got very little playing time in MLS academies. I would imagine they get more playing time when their team plays against non MLS club. I could come up with quite a few more things that would be very beneficial for MLS academies to play against non MLS clubs especially if it's not involving traveling. Plus, it's very beneficial for players who play for non MLS clubs. Don't ignore that part.

Disclosure: Parent of a player for non MLS Club speaking here.
While I can't argue about quality between MLS academies vs non MLS clubs I don't think it's a waste of time for everyone. Think about those players who got very little playing time in MLS academies. I would imagine they get more playing time when their team plays against non MLS club. I could come up with quite a few more things that would be very beneficial for MLS academies to play against non MLS clubs especially if it's not involving traveling. Plus, it's very beneficial for players who play for non MLS clubs. Don't ignore that part.
I don't think I can be convinced that an 8-0 match is beneficial for anyone. And there is quite a bit of traveling for those matches.

The point of a high level league is to create the most number of meaningful matches. It's not to play teams you can easily beat.

I know it's a little pointless to talk about but if you want to keep number of games per season then your travel will increase a lot without playing to non-MLS clubs.
Also, this kind of high score happens within MLS academies as well. Or, you would suggest not to play against MLS teams that managed to lost a game with big score margin?

I don't think I can be convinced that an 8-0 match is beneficial for anyone. And there is quite a bit of traveling for those matches.

The point of a high level league is to create the most number of meaningful matches. It's not to play teams you can easily beat.

True, but here is the funny thing...there are a lot of scores close to that in ECNL! Honestly, it's all so absurd...the most insightful thing I read was above from @Carlsbad7 - "In both cases it didnt seem like their kid cared.". Nailed it. Kids don't care...they just want to play and have fun. These letter leagues are all about the parents and their willingness to throw $$$ at them. I will say this...its entertaining watching it all go down.

What's the word on Sac United recruiting this summer? Are boys leaving ECNL clubs like Placer and San Juan for Sac United?

Back