Refs shortage

I got that same email and was going to post it.
I think CalSouth is the main organization that trains referees. Now that SoCal League/SCDSL has told CalSouth to "pound sand"- What incentive does CalSouth have to help out the mega-club league?
Does SoCalLeague / US Club Club offer referee training?
I know that CalSouth doesn't do the referee assigning- But can they try and steer refs towards Coast?

The cite "Coast CSL" as the model and fully covered but say others are not "organized" well enough so they may not be fully assigned or allocated refs in the same quantities.

Sloppy 2nds or leftovers but sounds like a cluster with just not enough numbers to spread around. 40% deficiency is really hard to overcome in the short period of time.

The cite "Coast CSL" as the model and fully covered but say others are not "organized" well enough so they may not be fully assigned or allocated refs in the same quantities.

Sloppy 2nds or leftovers but sounds like a cluster with just not enough numbers to spread around. 40% deficiency is really hard to overcome in the short period of time.
There are plenty of skilled refs. I hear them yelling at the real refs all the time From the sidelines. I worked a college game today and a couple “dads” spent the entire game screaming about every call or non call. Never mind that the center was one of the most highly regarded refs in so cal And was perfect today.

There are plenty of skilled refs. I hear them yelling at the real refs all the time From the sidelines. I worked a college game today and a couple “dads” spent the entire game screaming about every call or non call. Never mind that the center was one of the most highly regarded refs in so cal And was perfect today.

Hum that email posted says they need 6,000 refs for fall but only have 3,600 or so registered.

At the higher end on the weekdays yeah but at peak times on Saturday? some of the more remote facilities & complexes ? I dunno seems like some shortages and indications of a downward spiral according to the above.

I'm fine paying refs more.
At the very least- Let's pay them in an amount that ends with a zero.
This is the SoCal ref fee schedule: http://socalsoccerleague.org/_files/Referee Fee Schedule 2021-2022,docx.pdf
Amount per team to pay refs:
2005 and up: $77
2006/2007: $68
2008/2009: $60
2010/2011: $51
2012-2014: $43

Just round up so the team manager doesn't have to stop and get change. Or so we don't expect refs to carry dollar bills to give proper change.
Make it 3 tiers:
11v11: $80
9v9: $70
7v7: $60

How hard is it to get the right amount of money the week before your game? Try a little harder

Looks like someone doesn't understand sarcasm in a response to you, lol. There wouldn't be ref shortage if those loud mouth dads went to a ref class and learned the Laws, and maybe came out and did a game or two.

Until you have ever been the center on a game (even U10 AYSO), you really need to shut up. You have no clue how hard it is out there for beginners.

How hard is it to get the right amount of money the week before your game? Try a little harder
Do you know any ATM machines that spit out dollar bills? Just about everything I pay for is via my card or some sort of app like Venmo.
I suppose I could run into the gas station and buy a pack of gum with a $20 bill to get to an even $77. I'd rather just give the refs and extra $3.00 and let them buy a bottle of water to split.

My buddy's kids Discovery game this weekend was canceled due to lack of refs. I suspect this situation will get worse before it gets better.

regarding cancellation of a large event like the EA showcase because of ref shortage, that is potentially a big hit on airfare, hotels, schedules rearranged. For sanctioning, contracts, insurance, etc does every ref need to come from an association pool or is there flexibility for creative solutions? Each club offers up a few olders at non game times to be deputized as ARs, something like that. Is that allowed? seems like a black eye to pull the plug on the whole thing.

regarding cancellation of a large event like the EA showcase because of ref shortage, that is potentially a big hit on airfare, hotels, schedules rearranged. For sanctioning, contracts, insurance, etc does every ref need to come from an association pool or is there flexibility for creative solutions? Each club offers up a few olders at non game times to be deputized as ARs, something like that. Is that allowed? seems like a black eye to pull the plug on the whole thing.
Not a horrible idea- But not sure a kid who is also playing that weekend wants to run around for another 60-90 minutes reffing a game. (And probably getting yelled at by the sideline). These teenage kids need recovery time between games.

Not a horrible idea- But not sure a kid who is also playing that weekend wants to run around for another 60-90 minutes reffing a game. (And probably getting yelled at by the sideline). These teenage kids need recovery time between games.

The thought was mainly to involve the U17 and up crowd, just as ARs. Should not be too taxing for them unless the temp/humidity was really up there. And by that age they've got tuning out parents down to a practiced science. I've asked my kid if the parents bother him when he refs and he just laughs. I guess what I was really wondering is whether anything would prohibit some kind of arrangement like that, outside of getting it to work in practice.

After watching this clip would you ask/push your kids to sign up for referee classes or tell existing ones it's just one case, no need to overreact?

I gotta believe we aren’t seeing the entire story. The guy tackles the ar. Not that it excuses the behavior but Why? Someone seriously attacked a ref for an offside call?

I gotta believe we aren’t seeing the entire story. The guy tackles the ar. Not that it excuses the behavior but Why? Someone seriously attacked a ref for an offside call?
The AR admitted to pushing the kid. Doesn't justify what the parent did but an adult shouldn't put their hands on a minor in this way (under most circumstances). It appears that the ref may have escalated the situation.

The AR admitted to pushing the kid. Doesn't justify what the parent did but an adult shouldn't put their hands on a minor in this way (under most circumstances). It appears that the ref may have escalated the situation.

If the referee did lay hands on a minor and it wasn't self-defense, it's possible that the attack on the referee isn't the only charge/discipline that is taken then.

I've seen 4 other incidents like this here locally since COVID. All of them involved bad conduct of one form or another by both the parents and referees and all of them involved the (alleged) safety of the players. People have literally lost their minds.

Interesting too the soccer leagues are holding the coaches now to account for the behavior of the parents.

Do you know any ATM machines that spit out dollar bills? Just about everything I pay for is via my card or some sort of app like Venmo.
I suppose I could run into the gas station and buy a pack of gum with a $20 bill to get to an even $77. I'd rather just give the refs and extra $3.00 and let them buy a bottle of water to split.

We should be able to Venmo the refs.

Do we really need refs for 7v7 league play? It's a glorified scrimmage. For my kids, I consider it a practice session to develop and make mistakes and try new things. Scores are not kept. There are no standings.
Can't the coaches just help call out of bounds and fouls and if there's a disagreement on a call, just take turns on whose call to go with?

Then all the 7v7 refs can go to 11v11 games and if there's any leftover, they can go to 9v9 games.
I just see no reason for refs at 7v7.

(Only thing will be to keep crazy parents in check but coaches and team managers should be doing this. I don't understand the parents who berate a ref all game long in what is essentially a scrimmage...)

Last edited:
Do we really need refs for 7v7 league play? It's a glorified scrimmage. For my kids, I consider it a practice session to develop and make mistakes and try new things. Scores are not kept. There are no standings.
Can't the coaches just help call out of bounds and fouls and if there's a disagreement on a call, just take turns on whose call to go with?

Then all the 7v7 refs can go to 11v11 games and if there's any leftover, they can go to 9v9 games.
I just see no reason for refs at 7v7.

(Only thing will be to keep crazy parents in check but coaches and team managers should be doing this. I don't understand the parents who berate a ref all game long what is essentially a scrimmage...)

In CalSouth the 7 v 7 standings are high stakes. They determine promotions and some of the bigger clubs need to advance so by the time they hit 11 v 11 the top team is gold or silver elite. I know they've now moved away from silver for the 2nd youngest ages and its now signature?

Back