Refs paying for parking at Surf Polo Fields for State Cup

Does Surf charge parking for referees at the Polo Fields for State Cup? Someone tried to charge me parking when I was taking my son to referee. She said something like, "You can drop off, but if you park you need to pay." I made a disgusted look and she just said "Go ahead.". Were any other referees charged for parking?

No we do not pay for parking. Should have just shown the parking attendant either his ref card or badge.

I don't see nothing wrong with charging refs for parking. After all they are the only ones who actually getting paid for games.

I don't see nothing wrong with charging refs for parking. After all they are the only ones who actually getting paid for games.

If a venue charged referees then a percentage of referees would only accept games for venues that didn't charge. There is usually a shortage of referees to begin with. The leagues/tournaments would wind up paying more in referee fees because the Associations would reimburse the referees the parking fees (they do that at Silverlakes). The additional cost to run the tournament or league would just be passed on to the clubs that pass it on to the parents.

Large Venues (Silverlakes, San Bernardino, Galway Downs, Oceanside, SD Polo Fields) want attract the large tournaments. Making it easy for the customer (Cal South, SCDSL, Coast, Albion, Arsenal, Surf, etc.) means, making it easy for their necessary partners (Referee Associations).

In my capacity as a parent, I appreciate that parking fees are a necessary evil. I have seen first hand the cost to maintain 40 acres of grass. These venues will incur anywhere between $400k to $800k in field maintenance costs over the course of a year (water, fertilizer, aeration, damage remediation, sand, weeding, gopher control and labor). Silverlakes is on a whole different program with overhead costs estimated to be $3M, of which its likely nearly $1M is related to maintaining the grass.

Somebody has to pay this and congratulations its you.

If a venue charged referees then a percentage of referees would only accept games for venues that didn't charge. There is usually a shortage of referees to begin with. The leagues/tournaments would wind up paying more in referee fees because the Associations would reimburse the referees the parking fees (they do that at Silverlakes). The additional cost to run the tournament or league would just be passed on to the clubs that pass it on to the parents.

Large Venues (Silverlakes, San Bernardino, Galway Downs, Oceanside, SD Polo Fields) want attract the large tournaments. Making it easy for the customer (Cal South, SCDSL, Coast, Albion, Arsenal, Surf, etc.) means, making it easy for their necessary partners (Referee Associations).

In my capacity as a parent, I appreciate that parking fees are a necessary evil. I have seen first hand the cost to maintain 40 acres of grass. These venues will incur anywhere between $400k to $800k in field maintenance costs over the course of a year (water, fertilizer, aeration, damage remediation, sand, weeding, gopher control and labor). Silverlakes is on a whole different program with overhead costs estimated to be $3M, of which its likely nearly $1M is related to maintaining the grass.

Somebody has to pay this and congratulations its you.

So if you don't mind all parents paying for parking, what's make referees any different? As a referee, I also would like to support all this good stuff you mentioned.
I don't know any referees who makes living out of refereeing youth games. So if a referee comes to State Cup venue, they get $30-40 per game (at youngers, and more for olders), most doing 3-4 games. So whats wrong if this referee pays $8-10 for parking?
It's the referee association (not venue), should be reimbursing those referees out of all the assigning and other fees they charging them, if they decide to do so.

If I know a venue is going to charge me for parking, than I will not accept games at that venue unless I am being reimbursed. If I arrive at a venue to referee and they try to charge me to pay, I will call the assignor and find out if I will be reimbursed. If they will not reimburse me, than I will turn around and go home. The referees working Galaxy games do not have to pay for parking so why should I!!

Referees do not make that much money when you factor in all of the costs. My 10 jerseys alone cost $500, three pair of shoes $300, other uniform items $150, cold weather gear $200, flags, watch, bag, etc. is another $200, then there is mileage. I do know a few referees that use their referee fees as their primary source of income.

It's the referee association (not venue), should be reimbursing those referees out of all the assigning and other fees they charging them, if they decide to do so.

The "assigning fees" go to the assignor. The referee membership fees goes to pay for the monthly meetings (where training occurs) and to pay for the arbiter system. Sometimes, the assignor will discount the fee. I've never been an assignor, but know more than a few. It is a lot of work, especially if the "client" has any last minute changes. The other thing about referees is they are viewed as almost "ambassadors" of the venue. When a parent doesn't know where this or that is ... ask a guy in bright yellow or green. When the restroom has a problem ... the referee or coordinator may know who to get ahold of. From a venue perspective, you want the referees love your facility. Provide them tents if you can, GC rides too and from their cars.

Do referee's have to report (thus pay taxes) on their fees? If so, wouldn't any parking charges be tax deductible?
Yes, Referees must report their income and often receive 1099s, assuming the fees paid exceed the $600 threshold. Parking charges would be an expense (that can be deducted from the top level income), likewise, uniforms, footwear, etc. can also be deducted. Regardless, it would be better to not have expenses against the income if the idea is to keep money in your pocket.

Assume the referee is paid $1000 with $100 in parking fees (10 days at $100/day with $10 parking fees). This would leave $900 as taxable. Assume a 25% tax rate = $675 in the Ref's pocket. Now, what if there was no parking fees? Well, that same $1000 at 25% tax rate means $750 is left in the Ref's pocket. So tax deductibility means that the ref only got back $25 of those fees.

... I've never been an assignor, but know more than a few. It is a lot of work, especially if the "client" has any last minute changes.
The high school assignors have really earned their fees this year. OC has had 700 game reschedules (Boys, Girls, V, JV, Soph/Fr) due to rain in the last several weeks. That's a lot of extra work.

Do referee's have to report (thus pay taxes) on their fees? If so, wouldn't any parking charges be tax deductible?

Yes we do. It is income and there is always a paper trail. I know a referee that only reported the referee fees he got a 1099. He got audited and got hit for almost $30k in nreported referee fees. He owed the IRS close to $45k with the interest and penalties.

We can offset the tax burden by itemizing and writing off mileage, uniforms, supplies, part of gym fees, association fees, assigning fees, hotels, airfare, etc. For example, if I make $10k as a referee in a year I (my tax preparer) will be able to find around $7k in write offs. Mileage is probably the biggest write off.

Keep in mind that not everyone itemizes their taxes, especially the young refs.

My DD's team played in Newport Beach at a field right on the beach. I would say probably the most expensive chunk of land to have pitch in the whole world. There the refs had to pay for parking as there is not other parking available. I would likely not accept assignments to ref there.

Back