Raise Game-Changers!

My message to all kids and adults. Do what makes you happy and what makes you feel good. The fact is my dd has been playing for 11 years now and she's only beginning her soccer journey.

My message to all kids and adults. Do what makes you happy and what makes you feel good. The fact is my dd has been playing for 11 years now and she's only beginning her soccer journey.
Yeah, but the same thing that makes you laugh will also make you cry. I have personally witnessed several successful pro athletes struggle with depression when their careers were over. If a person only sees themselves as an athlete it makes moving on to other endeavors very difficult when the time comes. Balance is key. Professional sporting careers are short so it’s beneficial to have a few extra tools in the toolbox.

Unless you count neighborhood pickup games and old man leagues, how do you see 11 years as only the beginning? The odds of her playing pro at 27 are mighty small.

Now, if you see neighborhood soccer as part of a full life and are throwing some love at the pickup game, then we're on the same page.

Comp soccer is a great example of real life. Hard work pays off. It may not get you exactly what you want, but in the day and age of cell phones and social media, mine... as well as yours... has learned life lessons about teamwork, nutrition, exercise, preparation, sacrifice, disappointment, power, some-people-are-just-assholes, opportunity, failure, victory, luck, commitment, politics, euphoria, etc.

Most of all, that life isn’t fair but shooting for a goal has value and merit, even if you don’t quite get there. I’m proud of our kids. They made a choice that many of us probably wouldn’t have when we were kids.

(Unless you’re EOTL. Then you’re just a sad sack douche.)

Back