Protect the players

UNC is the only program I have seen make “mass substitutions”. They will sub 7 or 8 girls at a time.
It seemed that UVA & FSU subbed approximately 2-3 players every 10-15 minutes at the game that I attended last week in Tallahassee.
I also couldn’t assess the quality of Jaelin Howell because FSU constantly booted the ball over midfield. UVA’s keeper tried to play out of the back before a defender booted the ball to a winger. I was throughly disappointed with both teams.

It seemed that UVA & FSU subbed approximately 2-3 players every 10-15 minutes at the game that I attended last week in Tallahassee.
I also couldn’t assess the quality of Jaelin Howell because FSU constantly booted the ball over midfield. UVA’s keeper tried to play out of the back before a defender booted the ball to a winger. I was throughly disappointed with both teams.
How the lawsuit coming? Get your kid in the National Team yet?

Well you don't see this often but Uruguayan referee Andres Cunha and video assistant Esteban Ostojich were suspended Wednesday after failing to give a red card to Argentina defender Nicolas Amend during a World Cup qualifying match against Brazil.

Also Wednesday, CONMEBOL suspended Chilean referee Roberto Tobar for not punishing Neymar and Juan Guillermo Cuadrado in Brazil’s 1-0 win over Colombia last Thursday.

Neymar put his chest close to Tobar’s during that match in Sao Paulo, but the Brazilian wasn’t booked. Cuadrado illegally used his arm later in the game and also wasn’t carded.

The south American and concacf games can be interesting physically with a lot of theatrics sometimes.

Well you don't see this often but Uruguayan referee Andres Cunha and video assistant Esteban Ostojich were suspended Wednesday after failing to give a red card to Argentina defender Nicolas Amend during a World Cup qualifying match against Brazil.

Also Wednesday, CONMEBOL suspended Chilean referee Roberto Tobar for not punishing Neymar and Juan Guillermo Cuadrado in Brazil’s 1-0 win over Colombia last Thursday.

Neymar put his chest close to Tobar’s during that match in Sao Paulo, but the Brazilian wasn’t booked. Cuadrado illegally used his arm later in the game and also wasn’t carded.

The south American and concacf games can be interesting physically with a lot of theatrics sometimes.
Now they need to go back and suspend the ref from the Euro Championship that did not red card Chiellini. For the record, I was rooting for Italy in that game.

Watched the second half of a game from opposing 05 ECNL teams this last weekend. I must admit I was appalled by the lack of calls to protect the players from one of these teams. The ref crew is one I have seen before and in the past they seemed to be decent overall. Unfortunately not this time around. There were many instances of overtly aggressive to violent play by the opposition. In particular there was one player who was literally tackled and laid out on the ground for a substantial amount of time. This player soon after was again fouled in a similar fashion. The ref did nothing to further prevent this from happening again. No card, no verbal warning. And, once again this player was fouled in such a way I am surprised they were able to play further. Parents were pleading throughout the half to the ref to protect the players. The ref's solution was to red card anyone who challenged him.
In SD for the ECNL showcase last weekend. At my youngest DD's game on Saturday. During the second half as #3 wingback she was fouled six times. It was not till the 5th foul was a player who ended up fouling her 4 times given a yellow card. This player than proceded to foul her once more after the yellow was given. I feel at times ref's are reluctant to give cards. I am glad she was not hurt but WTF.

Yes. I have seen similar a couple of times, as a father of a player not as a ref. Younger ages. Document it. Get the referee's name, opposing coaches name, and report to the gaming authority. Worst case nothing comes of it and your team loses a meaningless game. But no players are hurt.
And, always video the games.

On a somewhat related note: I was out to shoot (photos) of three SCSL games today. The first one started with two refs running a dual but one of them left at halftime because he fell ill so the second half was solo. The second and third games were canceled because no refs showed up.
Not surprised…we have a massive shortage of referees and it is getting worse. I know three refs that have quit since September. All three said they were tired of the verbal abuse from parents and a few coaches. I have done numerous high school age games this fall as a solo referee. Pre-COVID it was extremely rare to have a solo referee on a B/G 15-18 game. Now, it is common to see those games with only one referee.

My ref did four 9v9 games as a center with no AR's. All of the games at the complex only had one ref. He explained to two different groups of parents that they are partly to blame for the shortage of refs. He is thankful for the money but may start to refuse games at Robb Field due to the poor field conditions. He has twisted an ankle every time he refs there.
Partially to blame is an understatement. All but one of the 30+ referees that I know that hung up the whistle for good during COVID did so because they were tired of the verbal abuse by spectators/parents and some coaches. Many of them said they were tired of feeling that Cal South and the gaming leagues (Coast, Presidio, ECNL, SOCal, etc.) did not support the referees or implement stricter sanctions for the poor behavior. Maybe if Cal South and the leagues would put some harsh sanctions (minimum of 3 game suspension for coaches and 5 for spectators) in place for referee verbal abuse, we would stop losing good referees.

The college game is played by bigger, faster players, so increased physicality is just physics. That is tempered in most cases by the fact that colleges can afford to hire better referees.
BS, the large majority of college referees also work high school and youth club games.

It’s absurd you think you know more than a gentlemen who officiates on a consistent basis. How old are your children? 40?

It's just arithmetic. There are fewer than 2500 college teams, counting men and women at all levels, in the whole country playing soccer. Each hires 4 referees about 10 times a year for home games. How many high school and club teams are there in the country?

It's just arithmetic. There are fewer than 2500 college teams, counting men and women at all levels, in the whole country playing soccer. Each hires 4 referees about 10 times a year for home games. How many high school and club teams are there in the country?
Numerical data is great, but your data just not support any of this.

Numerical data is great, but your data just not support any of this.

It's actually tighter than that rough estimate. If you scan through a few college box scores over a season, you will see the same names occurring in multiple games. There is a small pool of college refs compared to the larger numbers needed for HS and club games.

It’s absurd you think you know more than a gentlemen who officiates on a consistent basis. How old are your children? 40?

It's absurd that you think someone who is willing to consistently subject themselves to abuse for $20-30 an hour has any idea what they are doing.

College refs may do high school and club games, but most of the HS and club refs don't do college games.
During college and high school seasons I significantly reduce the amount of club games I will do. My time just shrinks and I am not willing to do a 3 game set for similar money than a single JC center. Approx 2 hours versus 6 hours too.

It's actually tighter than that rough estimate. If you scan through a few college box scores over a season, you will see the same names occurring in multiple games. There is a small pool of college refs compared to the larger numbers needed for HS and club games.
Try you must but now you have changed the parameters of your own posts.

Back