Preseason DA Rankings 04

I just don't think that another club was needed in the OC (it already had 4 at the highest level) and although San Diego has a ton of talent I would argue that there are only 4-8 per age group that are truly elite in the county and that talent would be much better served (as is has been in the past for the most part) by playing on the same team. My player had several of her college teammates on her U18 team and although they didn't play a ton of club games together due to outside soccer commitments, it was a good experience to have other elite players training with her.

I just think that the best players benefit by playing together.

Been saying it for 3 years- everyone labeled club but the DA should be one regional team made up of people who want to travel the 60 minutes- make it equidistant- length of time for visions of playing in the National Team. They SHOULD play together. And the parents that believe that their child is elite because they share the same backpack space as their elite teammate SHOULD have their wake up call. When you play less than fifty percent of total club minutes you should be questioning placement. Right now I am hearing a lot of “well we are the CYZ TEAM” and “my girl is training with the best”

Right now you see 1-3 impact players running the show.

Been saying it for 3 years- everyone labeled club but the DA should be one regional team made up of people who want to travel the 60 minutes- make it equidistant- length of time for visions of playing in the National Team. They SHOULD play together. And the parents that believe that their child is elite because they share the same backpack space as their elite teammate SHOULD have their wake up call.
Right now it’s not happening. Right now you see 1-3 impact players running the show.

I agree with you 100% on this.

I don’t think this was for me and my opinion is simply just an opinion but:
1. No one cared when for nine years all the talent had to drive one hour to an ENCL CLUB
No one questioned the “top clubs” and if you dare stated that their “stars” were either form out of state or out of geography people got miffed. They were the best recruited teams- not necessarily the best coached. Again nothing wrong with it but call a spade a spade
2. ECNL long ignored LA. I would venture to guess based on population density that there should be at or above the same talent of Legends in the LA area
3. The DA club disturbution is above my pay grade. I would say with competition comes better results and frankly having another club in SD or OC was needed to shake up the monopoly. I don’t see anything wrong with it frankly. That gets me to a whole other discussion about relegation but that won’t happen. True the clubs “share the talent” but if you want to really drill down like what @MakeAPlay says essentially any top team has 1-3 impact players. The rest are pretty similar.
4. There are still many many players who travel from the Legends area to OC and SD. Based off the success of the Legends this year I wonder how many will “go back home”. Parents like wins. Some parents are coach driven only

Next and most importantly I think the long term success of previous clubs was a hybrid of recruitment, coaching. Now that players seem to be more inclined to stay closer to home let’s see who two years from now develops, and maintains a consistent style of play. I do not know the answer to that question. The relative success of a program is two years away in my humble opinion.

Finally, each program varies differently. Vastly. I see few similarities between them. I would hope parents would do due diligence.
Good info Striker. I totally agree that ECNL ignored LA and also Legends as well. But two wrongs don't make a right... I also believe in breaking up the monopoly. My main point is 99 percent of the best players in the IE go to one club. Not the case for the other counties.

I agree with that and you will be able to see the success of that region of what we define as a best player continues to be so. They no longer have Randy, Tad, Mark etc and will be a product of Legends. Are they already “formed” as players? The 2004 is a recruited team.

I agree with that and you will be able to see the success of that region of what we define as a best player continues to be so. They no longer have Randy, Tad, Mark etc and will be a product of Legends. Are they already “formed” as players? The 2004 is a recruited team.

Legends and Surf are both recruited teams. Half of surfs players are from outside the county. Hats off to LAGSD for developing and promoting girls from within.

This Surf vs Legends matchup was a microcosm of US Soccer's conflict over the best way forward for their teams. The two teams couldn't be more different in makeup and playstyle, and it was noticeable from the initial team lineup. Maybe Surf has a number of girls playing up but they looked like a year or two younger than Legends. The difference in athleticism was stark, as well. Legends girls were stronger, bigger, faster to a player.

But the most striking thing about the matchup was the difference in how the teams want to play. Surf kept possession, wants to build from the back, midfielders and forwards running a constant motion offense looking for that throughball. Legends plays aggressive defense, looking to create 50/50 balls, win possession, and then send balls over the top to their forward who is the fastest and most physical player in this age group, by a long shot. Both styles work, produce goals but are very different. Surf's midfielders dominated the game, which led to a 5-0 lead until the last 10 minutes when subs came in and defensive turnovers to the dominant Legends forward led to 3 easy goals in 5 minutes. She was unlucky not to get more earlier in the game and she sped past the Surf defenders multiple times.

I can't tell you which style is "better" - maybe this is like the Arsenal vs Leicester debate a few years ago. Both sides have found one that works and I could easily see the score being 5-3 in favor of Legends on another day.

This Surf vs Legends matchup was a microcosm of US Soccer's conflict over the best way forward for their teams. The two teams couldn't be more different in makeup and playstyle, and it was noticeable from the initial team lineup. Maybe Surf has a number of girls playing up but they looked like a year or two younger than Legends. The difference in athleticism was stark, as well. Legends girls were stronger, bigger, faster to a player.

But the most striking thing about the matchup was the difference in how the teams want to play. Surf kept possession, wants to build from the back, midfielders and forwards running a constant motion offense looking for that throughball. Legends plays aggressive defense, looking to create 50/50 balls, win possession, and then send balls over the top to their forward who is the fastest and most physical player in this age group, by a long shot. Both styles work, produce goals but are very different. Surf's midfielders dominated the game, which led to a 5-0 lead until the last 10 minutes when subs came in and defensive turnovers to the dominant Legends forward led to 3 easy goals in 5 minutes. She was unlucky not to get more earlier in the game and she sped past the Surf defenders multiple times.

I can't tell you which style is "better" - maybe this is like the Arsenal vs Leicester debate a few years ago. Both sides have found one that works and I could easily see the score being 5-3 in favor of Legends on another day.
Ok...so the 3 goals were all after the 30 Min mark of the 2nd half. (Game report shows 32, 33 and 35th Min.). Still impressive

Interesting that you just joined today to make this comment and picked a screen name very similar to a know ref on this forum.

Back