Pre ECNL or EA?

I generally agree with this sentiment.

I have two daughters who have played for one club since their ulittle days, and both played on the ECNL team for their respective age groups. However, if I could rewind the clock, I would probably have my kids play for different clubs in the elementary school / middle school years as long as you can find an excellent coach who prioritizes technical development and allows the players to be creative.

From my observations, outside the top 2-3 players, most kids on the ECNL team (including both of mine) lose a little creativity and play very predictable within the structure of the club and/or coach when playing for an extended period.

The kids who joined the ECNL team a season or two before recruiting kicks into high gear tend to be more creative and dynamic, especially for the midfield and attacking positions. These kids were usually the best players on a team at a level lower than ECNL and were used to carrying the load and being the featured player for that team.

Kids who are creative, dynamic, and not afraid to play on the more individual side (from being the best player on an average team) have an easier time standing out during the showcases.

However, going this route instead of joining the ECNL club at a young age also has drawbacks. It is easier to make the ECNL team and keep your spot (as long as you keep up with the team) when you join the club at a young age.

For this alternative scenario to work, your daughter needs to be better than half of the girls on the ECNL team when you attend a team practice. The coach has no incentive to add a player for roster spots 15-18 as they typically will not play a lot and will not impact the team's success.
Have 2 playing as well and was in the same position. We chose to do different clubs. They're both close to each other so the drive to different practices is negligible.

What we've discovered is that the big clubs tend to treat players like a number. (You don't see it when it's all you know) Also the politics involved with making the top team is ridiculous. At smaller clubs everyone knows everyone. They tend to do fun things like kickarounds. Also a single coach handles all teams for a single age level. This is kind of nice because they know which players should be on which level team and politics between coaches doesn't come into play.

"Pre-ECNL" is just a marketing term. It has no official designation. Some teams play up, some teams play at their age range. There is no Pre-ECNL league.
Kinda like when you had satellite Surf clubs like Murrieta Surf with the "Pre-Academy" moniker attached to some of their teams.
Is there such a thing as "pre-pregnant"? You're either pregnant, ECNL, Academy, or whatever. Making a league for the "Pre-ECNL" is
just another way of them keeping themselves surrounded with the money so parents don't go chase the carrot elsewhere.

I remember when ECNL ruled the land. Then the GDA started and everybody dropped ECNL like a hot rock and started drinking the DA Kool-Aid.
Watched a few DA games back then. High school age games. Some clubs played good soccer. Beach FC and a few others. LA Premier was terrible. Lots of kickball. Look how long that fad lasted..2 years I think? (Yes there's a new flavor).

Have 2 playing as well and was in the same position. We chose to do different clubs. They're both close to each other so the drive to different practices is negligible.

What we've discovered is that the big clubs tend to treat players like a number. (You don't see it when it's all you know) Also the politics involved with making the top team is ridiculous. At smaller clubs everyone knows everyone. They tend to do fun things like kickarounds. Also a single coach handles all teams for a single age level. This is kind of nice because they know which players should be on which level team and politics between coaches doesn't come into play.
What is considered a smaller club In SoCal?

I would say any club that isn't GA or ECNL for the olders and hasn't licensed their name out to other clubs.
It's not about which club is good or "bad". It's about what club your kid fits in and which club provides the best opportunity to make it to the next level.

There is no difference between EA and pre-ECNL for a U11 boy. There are very strong teams in both league, and there are plenty of so-so teams in both as well.

I agree with this.

The top teams in Pre-ECNL and EA in the U11 and U12 age groups should play together.... that will be the most beneficial but nope, of course they split it up....

In practice, the top 1/3 of EA and top 1/3 of Pre-ECNL are very good... then middle third being just alright in both... and bottom third shouldn't really be playing Pre-ECNL or EA and would benefit just being in SoCal flight 1... or 2...

Only thing I would say with EA is if you want to play MLS Next, there is an incumbent advantage by already being on the EA team that's being prepped to go to MLS Next either next year or in 2 years if 2014 EA team....

You could discount that benefit if you're good enough and think you'll get on the MLS Next team later anyway... but I argue back and say well if you're sort of middle of the pack and won't be cut but would be hard to make the team as an outsider... then it might be better to just get on the EA team to earlier before MLS Next tryouts...

I get that it could backfire and now all your weaknesses are exposed and sometimes it's better to be shining thing from outside the club... but we will never know I guess and that's on a player to player basis...

In our club, 7 kids from the EA team made it to mls next team. 3 of those kids can tryout anywhere and make any team. 4 of those kids I am not sure if they can make the team if the coach didn’t get to watch them for the whole EA season. Getting in early allows you time to show your effort and work ethics. If your kid can’t dribble five people and then make the right pass, I suggest you get in early.

That sounds about right.

So 7 from the EA team... and then how many more to complete the roster? 7-8?

What was the distribution of the remaining 7-8 not from the EA team?

How many from the club's "B" team for that age group and how many from outside the club?

Pre-ECNL covers U11 and U12 which are 2014 and 2013 teams...

I have a nephew who plays in it as a 2014 currently in the 2024-25 season...
are you serious? Read the entire thing I posted.

"girls have a pre-ECNL league as well but not in SoCal currently. Current Pre-ECNL year is 2013. "

your replying to half a post implying its wrong. That's ridiculous. There are 2015 Boys in Pre-ECNL leagues in North Texas but you might want to keep things in context.

SuperSoccerStar said:
Current Pre-ECNL year is 2013.

are you serious? Read the entire thing I posted.

"girls have a pre-ECNL league as well but not in SoCal currently. Current Pre-ECNL year is 2013. "

your replying to half a post implying its wrong. That's ridiculous. There are 2015 Boys in Pre-ECNL leagues in North Texas but you might want to keep things in context.

SuperSoccerStar said:
Current Pre-ECNL year is 2013.

I thought when you said "Current Pre-ECNL year is 2013" you meant that's when the boys Pre-ECNL starts... but it's 2014 here in SoCal so that's what I was pointing out.

Girls in SoCal do not have a Pre-ECNL league like you said so I thought (reasonably I think) you were referring to boys Pre-ECNL here in SoCal...

What did you mean by "Current Pre-ECNL year is 2013" then?

I thought when you said "Current Pre-ECNL year is 2013" you meant that's when the boys Pre-ECNL starts... but it's 2014 here in SoCal so that's what I was pointing out.

Girls in SoCal do not have a Pre-ECNL league like you said so I thought (reasonably I think) you were referring to boys Pre-ECNL here in SoCal...

This is a SoCal socccer forum. I am not sure why the guy is bringing up Texas.

I posted this in this thread…. There’s a page 1 of this thread:)

girls have a pre-ECNL league as well but not in SoCal currently. Current Pre-ECNL year is 2013. SoCal teams are still playing SoCal Flight1 for 2013. I'm pretty sure the top SoCal teams do the Pre-ECNL showcases though so they can technically call themselves the Pre-ECNL team.

There is...But it's a gimmick, don't you think? It makes one think that if you join this league you will eventually become an ECNL player. It's just a fancy title that allows organization to charge more by selling the dream of becoming an ECNL player.

I don't think so. The eldest age group in Pre-ecnl 2013, becomes ECNL next year, so I can't imagine club's bring in all new kids? It doesn't really get more "Pre" than that does it, if the team rolls into ECNL next year?

I don't think so. The eldest age group in Pre-ecnl 2013, becomes ECNL next year, so I can't imagine club's bring in all new kids? It doesn't really get more "Pre" than that does it, if the team rolls into ECNL next year?
Are all those kids skipping ECRL? The pecking order is Pre_ECNL >>>ECRL 2 (supposedly) >>> ECRL >>>ECNL.....

It’s not uncommon for a club to steal a team from another club if their pre-ABC team sucks.

Back