Open tryouts at Galaxy or FC worthwhile at all?

I feel like from talking to people... most of the kids on the team are scouted at tournaments or recruited by academy staff talking directly to club/teams... or a lot of them are also siblings/family of current academy players...

So are open tryouts worth attending?

My perspective is... if you're seeking them out... you're probably not good enough to be on those teams... I would think if you're good enough, they'll reach out to you instead...

I don't think my kid(s) will be good enough to ever make it on an academy team or anything... (who knows in the future... but they're not quite at that level right now) but I did see LAFC post something about an open tryout so was wondering what the experience has been like for those who ever participated...

I feel like from talking to people... most of the kids on the team are scouted at tournaments or recruited by academy staff talking directly to club/teams... or a lot of them are also siblings/family of current academy players...

So are open tryouts worth attending?

My perspective is... if you're seeking them out... you're probably not good enough to be on those teams... I would think if you're good enough, they'll reach out to you instead...

I don't think my kid(s) will be good enough to ever make it on an academy team or anything... (who knows in the future... but they're not quite at that level right now) but I did see LAFC post something about an open tryout so was wondering what the experience has been like for those who ever participated...
A common question for soccer parents for sure. Like most things, the answer is: "It depends..."

What age? What level does your kid currently play? What is the purpose for having your kid play club soccer? What do they want from the club soccer experience?

I'll give you my personal opinion based on my experience. My DD went from AYSO to club at U11, played what was then CSL Bronze, Silver, and Silver Elite, then SCDSL top teir, and her last two HS seasons were ECNL, then went on to play in college. In her youth career, she played for 3 different clubs, during which she semi-regularly guest played for 2 others. Just saying we've seen the WHOLE spectrum.

Generally speaking, don't bother with open tryouts, especially the big clubs. They are mostly marketing events aimed at drawing in the most potential suckers, er... I mean, customers as possible. On the surface, they position it as an opportunity for talent to be discovered and for your kid to be properly placed on a team that provides them the right level of play and the all-coveted "exposure." You don't need open tryouts for that unless you are brand new to club soccer, know nothing about the clubs or opportunities and just want to jump in feet first. That's what we did the first time moving from AYSO. Went to the two closest clubs' open tryouts, met some coaches and waited to see what they offered. We took a spot on a "B" team at a big club under the impression that they could help develop her and eventually she might have a spot on the "A" team. But we never did "open tryouts" after that first experience. Instead, we recognized teams that looked like good fits for her level of play and ambition, reached out to those coaches, got guest playing opportunities, and eventually those turned into spots on good teams. For my money, that's the MUCH more efficient way to manage your kid's club experience if they have long term soccer aspirations. If you're just in it for a sports activity that is more challenging than AYSO, go the open tryouts of the closest club possible and knock yourself out. Just don't get too hung up on all the sales/marketing bs.

LAFC’s open tryouts will have current academy scouts and coaches in attendance. So, I’d say it’s worth it, especially if you’re not getting noticed at tournaments.

What is likely to happen…if the talent is there… 5-10 kids per age year will get invited to train with the actual team. You’ll get 3-4 days of practice with the team (in July or August) and then that’s it. Or, they’ll say, come back next week for another 3-4 days. I’ve seen kids trial for 2 months and not make it. I’ve seen kids trial for a week and make it. I’ve seen kids get scouted an event and then get an invite a year later. Know they are typically looking for specific profiles per position or skill sets.

A common question for soccer parents for sure. Like most things, the answer is: "It depends..."

What age? What level does your kid currently play? What is the purpose for having your kid play club soccer? What do they want from the club soccer experience?

I'll give you my personal opinion based on my experience. My DD went from AYSO to club at U11, played what was then CSL Bronze, Silver, and Silver Elite, then SCDSL top teir, and her last two HS seasons were ECNL, then went on to play in college. In her youth career, she played for 3 different clubs, during which she semi-regularly guest played for 2 others. Just saying we've seen the WHOLE spectrum.

Generally speaking, don't bother with open tryouts, especially the big clubs. They are mostly marketing events aimed at drawing in the most potential suckers, er... I mean, customers as possible. On the surface, they position it as an opportunity for talent to be discovered and for your kid to be properly placed on a team that provides them the right level of play and the all-coveted "exposure." You don't need open tryouts for that unless you are brand new to club soccer, know nothing about the clubs or opportunities and just want to jump in feet first. That's what we did the first time moving from AYSO. Went to the two closest clubs' open tryouts, met some coaches and waited to see what they offered. We took a spot on a "B" team at a big club under the impression that they could help develop her and eventually she might have a spot on the "A" team. But we never did "open tryouts" after that first experience. Instead, we recognized teams that looked like good fits for her level of play and ambition, reached out to those coaches, got guest playing opportunities, and eventually those turned into spots on good teams. For my money, that's the MUCH more efficient way to manage your kid's club experience if they have long term soccer aspirations. If you're just in it for a sports activity that is more challenging than AYSO, go the open tryouts of the closest club possible and knock yourself out. Just don't get too hung up on all the sales/marketing bs.
There’s no cost for LAG or LAFC. Gear, travel, food, etc are all covered.
I agree though about playing at the right level. In the context of this question, a kid not at the level, won’t get offered a spot. If your kid goes to an open tryout and can’t handle getting played off the field, then yeah, avoid it. But if they want to try… why not? Enough people will tell my kid they aren’t good enough for whatever… I don’t need to sing that song. They want to take a free shot… I’ll drive, sit in the bleachers and brag stats with other dads living vicariously through their kids. Lol.

Otherwise, why not go? You don’t pay anything and you already aren’t on the team. If you ain’t good enough they just won’t call you.

Right, for the Academy teams. But the Academy team is the halo team or "loss leader" for the club that attracts parents whose kids end up on the levels below, with bigger aspirations. That's what I'm referring to as "customers." The 4 or 5 teams in an age bracket below the Academy team is what pays the bills in a big club... unless things have changed since my kid played youth club ball. The open tryouts aren't really there to fill the Academy team. As the OP rightly assumes, if your kid is at that level, you're being invited onto the team, tryout or no. I don't have any stats to back it up, but I'd guess there are very few Academy teams that pull significant numbers of players via an open tryout.

Right, for the Academy teams. But the Academy team is the halo team or "loss leader" for the club that attracts parents whose kids end up on the levels below, with bigger aspirations. That's what I'm referring to as "customers." The 4 or 5 teams in an age bracket below the Academy team is what pays the bills in a big club... unless things have changed since my kid played youth club ball. The open tryouts aren't really there to fill the Academy team. As the OP rightly assumes, if your kid is at that level, you're being invited onto the team, tryout or no. I don't have any stats to back it up, but I'd guess there are very few Academy teams that pull significant numbers of players via an open tryout.
LAG and LAFC do not have non-Academy teams. There is one team per age group and every team is fully covered. There are no lower level teams that cover the cost. The entirety is funded by the first team/pro club.
I don’t care if anyone tries out so I don’t have an agenda but LAFC/LAG aren’t like any other club that has lower levels. Don’t confuse the old Real SoCal, now LAFC Youth with the MLS Academy. They are entirely separate and not affiliated beyond some recent marketing deal. The clubs do not train anywhere near each other, nor share facilities or even have a clear pathway into the MLS Academy. Completely separate entities.

As far as how many make it… I’d suspect, if the talent is there, the top 3-5 per age group would be invited to trial. If there is no talent to justify, then no invites would be sent. Both clubs have scouting networks of 5-8 scouts working relationships with clubs and watching games. Plus, the coaches will regularly recruit. I’ve seen players have a great game against one week and the next they’re on trial. I’ve also seen the most random club have a kid come out that the scout saw at some event.
IMO, you want to play for an MLS Academy, then you should be playing up a year or two and dominating at the highest level for that upper age group. Like, if a 2010 wants to make LAG u15s next year, I’d suspect that player is at Strikers u16s and a dominant starter. Or a 2013 playing up as a 2011…. And so on.

I agree though about playing at the right level. In the context of this question, a kid not at the level, won’t get offered a spot. If your kid goes to an open tryout and can’t handle getting played off the field, then yeah, avoid it. But if they want to try… why not? Enough people will tell my kid they aren’t good enough for whatever… I don’t need to sing that song. They want to take a free shot… I’ll drive, sit in the bleachers and brag stats with other dads living vicariously through their kids. Lol.

Otherwise, why not go? You don’t pay anything and you already aren’t on the team. If you ain’t good enough they just won’t call you.
Interesting. My son Flight 1 2010 GK and one his teammates brought forth an IG post for LAFC Open Tryouts. They did ask for $75 to attend?????

LAFC’s open tryouts will have current academy scouts and coaches in attendance. So, I’d say it’s worth it, especially if you’re not getting noticed at tournaments.

What is likely to happen…if the talent is there… 5-10 kids per age year will get invited to train with the actual team. You’ll get 3-4 days of practice with the team (in July or August) and then that’s it. Or, they’ll say, come back next week for another 3-4 days. I’ve seen kids trial for 2 months and not make it. I’ve seen kids trial for a week and make it. I’ve seen kids get scouted an event and then get an invite a year later. Know they are typically looking for specific profiles per position or skill sets.

A neighbor's kid was on the Galaxy trial cycle and they kept him around for 6 months... no decision...
Kid eventually committed to his current club but man, that's a long time...
The dad told me team still had a handful of spots to fill and that probably was a 50/50 chance but didn't want to wait around anymore for it...
The current club was trying to finalize rosters and needed an answer... Sucks it's like that. Wish FC/Galaxy can work with local clubs and have better timelines of decisions but it is what it is...

In terms of small group invited back, Galaxy's GDP did that and some kids looks like did get offers that way... but I'd imagine they were already on their radar from tournaments or whatever like you said...

In terms of working relationships with clubs, have you seen pretty much the typical clubs? Strikers, TFA, SD Surf? Any other clubs?

It's not the club... it's the coach. A lot of players have circulated through the same top coaches. Strikers and TFA players will show up after a good game against during league. But, where kids come from... Beach, Arsenal, Breakers, Real SoCal/LAFC Youth... probably more likely than Strikers or TFA, at least at older ages (u14 and up). If they see someone early from TFA, snap them in quick.

all, imo.

Back