Off season training in college

Hello everyone, my daughter is finishing her last few months of club soccer and graduating high school in June. She was fortunate enough to get into a great college university here in So Cal and will be playing soccer there also.

I am curious to know about off season training options that fit into the academic schedule? Obviously weight training and cardio is easy to manage but what do a lot of the female soccer athletes do to soccer train in the off season while still attending classes? The coach at the school leaves this decision up to the players. Is there a good women's league club type program available? Private training is an option but costly and does not provide game type play. Of course injury avoidance is critical.

Any of you with daughters playing in college have suggestions for off season training would be appreciated....thanks

Hello everyone, my daughter is finishing her last few months of club soccer and graduating high school in June. She was fortunate enough to get into a great college university here in So Cal and will be playing soccer there also.

I am curious to know about off season training options that fit into the academic schedule? Obviously weight training and cardio is easy to manage but what do a lot of the female soccer athletes do to soccer train in the off season while still attending classes? The coach at the school leaves this decision up to the players. Is there a good women's league club type program available? Private training is an option but costly and does not provide game type play. Of course injury avoidance is critical.

Any of you with daughters playing in college have suggestions for off season training would be appreciated....thanks

My daughter (and several of her college teammates) played for various teams (SoCal based) in the WPSL & UPSL during the summer (last summer).
She also trained with a handful of college girls and a soccer trainer 2-3 days a week (~2 hours each session). Conditioning and weight training were on her own.

My daughter (and several of her college teammates) played for various teams (SoCal based) in the WPSL & UPSL during the summer (last summer).
She also trained with a handful of college girls and a soccer trainer 2-3 days a week (~2 hours each session). Conditioning and weight training were on her own.

Is WPSL and UPSL mainly a summer league?

This is a really good question. My daughter is going to be looking for something like this in the North San Diego area.

Apparently there is a WPSL team that trains at great park but looking at the website there are options in San Diego also.

WPSL and UPSL is great, and her trainer at her new school should provide her with a fitness packet as well.

Doing some try outs now. Pretty solid practice, I was impressed with the level of play. Most were current D1 players so the kid had some high quality play going on.

Daughter is looking at one College where they only have two months downtime for May/June. Is this pretty standard for College Soccer? She would train with two keeper coaches during this downtime her in SoCal.

Colleges can only start training a certain number of days prior to their first game. Report date is usually around August 1st. If they report earlier usually it’s due to “optional” captain‘s training in which the coaches can’t be involved. Spring season usually ends in April. For those not in the tournament downtime is also November through January.

Doing some try outs now. Pretty solid practice, I was impressed with the level of play. Most were current D1 players so the kid had some high quality play going on.

what clubs have you checked out?I don’t think the d1 players are current. Maybe former? Just finished in the fall? Current d1 can’t practice or tryout for outside teams before May 1. If they are their fall eligibility will be in jeopardy.

Colleges can only start training a certain number of days prior to their first game. Report date is usually around August 1st. If they report earlier usually it’s due to “optional” captain‘s training in which the coaches can’t be involved. Spring season usually ends in April. For those not in the tournament downtime is also November through January.
I know some colleges had their first game August 12 this past season and I believe official practice was able to begin August 1. So July might be optional, but how "optional" is the real question. If 90% of the team shows up as well as the two players you are competing with for a starting position, the definition of optional may take a whole new meeting.

This is pretty much how the college coach explained it to my daughter too.

Back