ODP 2002 Winter Player Pool

Eusebio

SILVER ELITE
CalSouth announced the ODP 2002 player pool a week ago, but I just saw it now.
http://www.calsouth.com/en/news-detail/254-id.209717723.html#.WD7nH2QrITQ

Obviously, it doesn't include any DA players but I was looking forward to see if it would include a good variety of players who could get some exposure that they might have not gotten before.

So I was a bit disappointed that they basically picked the entire Boca Juniors team. That just seems lazy to me. I've seen Boca Juniors play and they are indeed a very strong team, but 12 players getting selected for ODP is excessive. From what I saw, they didn't seem that deep for that many selections.

SCDSL also seems under-represented. I'm curious what the nomination process was for the winter pool. Was it just coaches recommending their own players or did they have scouts at the end of league tournaments? It definitely seems it was the former.

Obviously, it doesn't include any DA players but I was looking forward to see if it would include a good variety of players who could get some exposure that they might have not gotten before.

So I was a bit disappointed that they basically picked the entire Boca Juniors team. That just seems lazy to me. I've seen Boca Juniors play and they are indeed a very strong team, but 12 players getting selected for ODP is excessive. From what I saw, they didn't seem that deep for that many selections.

SCDSL also seems under-represented. I'm curious what the nomination process was for the winter pool. Was it just coaches recommending their own players or did they have scouts at the end of league tournaments? It definitely seems it was the former.
Indeed a very questionable selection process. I see at least 2 players names on the '02 boys list that are playing DA.

They use recommendations, then scout players, they then send out invites to several weekend tryouts where they begin to reduce the number of players until they wind up with their final selections. Since DA players not included I assume you are talking about the boys.

The selection was based on last year's Nationals when 01, and 02's played together. If I'm correct the Gold division players didn't even make the list for ODP only Premier players. Who won League cup this year?

They use recommendations, then scout players, they then send out invites to several weekend tryouts where they begin to reduce the number of players until they wind up with their final selections. Since DA players not included I assume you are talking about the boys.

All it takes is a coach to get a name on the list in most instances. It really is that easy - no scouting needed whatsoever - many on the list never seen before ODP. Many coaches will not recommend their players. Many good players will never make the list.

Congratulations to all that made the list, job well done, be proud.

For those of us that didn't, there's plenty of other Kool-Aid flavors out there, drink up.

They have 1 player left over from 2 years ago that played a lot, when this age group dominated every state. Last year they won but other states closed the gap. They did not make the finals this year, tying in bracket to the team they beat the last 2 years in the finals and losing in the semi's to a Utah team.

There are no girls DA players yet and you are assuming that your player will be invited!

Back