New penalty rule

The PK is meant to be a penalty against the defense with a high probability to score for said foul that prompted it. Kicks after the game to settle a tie use the same method, so it is a tad weird. I think it is fine to still give extra boost to the kickers then too, as we need to get the game done with. Both teams have the same rules, so whining about it doesn't make sense.

A ref may allow a keeper to legitimately test the distance to the crossbar, but grabbing it and making it bounce won't be tolerated. They just added things in this section to ensure everyone knows the expectations. There is still always the Unsporting Behavior yellow card that gives the ref freedom to deal with other BS that isn't so particular to a specific situation, like how goalkeepers should act during PKs. There are rules on how the kicker is allowed to approach the ball on their runup already.

What I wish they would add is a rule that says keepers can't go past the 6 yard line, and kickers can't go past the PK spot (before the ball is kicked). That would wipe out the BS that happens when keepers come out to the spot to intimidate, and stop kickers from approaching the box...

The league cup final was ridiculous. If not for the replacement keeper being out there it probably would have cycled back again. Deciding a championship based on goalkeepers kicking is weak. There’s been too many of these long ass shoot outs. Just fix it. Allow the keepers to move on the whistle.

PK's in general are such a frustrating way to determine a winner at the end of a closely fought match. May as well play cornhole or throw darts - they'd have just about as much relevance in awarding the deserving team the win.

The league cup final was ridiculous. If not for the replacement keeper being out there it probably would have cycled back again. Deciding a championship based on goalkeepers kicking is weak. There’s been too many of these long ass shoot outs. Just fix it. Allow the keepers to move on the whistle.

I'd rather see them do the old style shootouts, like this, than PKs.

Back