New penalty rule

So fifa created a new penalty rule in response to Martinez’s antics at the World Cup. Goalkeepers can’t touch the bar or net, deface the pk spot, grab the ball or delay the kick or taunt the shooter. It seems like they can still waive their arms and move side to side so long as they stay on the line. The response has been mostly negative from the gk union. Basically takes out most of the mental game from penalty kicks. Interestingly there’sno corresponding ban on strikers intimidating the gk or prohibiting the stutter step.
Editorial: the pk is so already unbalanced against the gk that removing these mental aspects will make it more decidedly so esp in a pk shoot out. Basically it will more and more come out to luck if the gk correctly is able to guess the direction (yes there’s some skill in determining the direction but it only takes you so far). Given some fouls are for things like inadvertent hand balls it makes the pk even more powerful in these circumstances. A fix would be easy: allow the gk to move on the whistle; if the foul is so egregious like intentional dog so or injury so the gk is sent off, have the foul shot into an empty net (if the gk can’t even intimidate you may as well).

So fifa created a new penalty rule in response to Martinez’s antics at the World Cup. Goalkeepers can’t touch the bar or net, deface the pk spot, grab the ball or delay the kick or taunt the shooter. It seems like they can still waive their arms and move side to side so long as they stay on the line. The response has been mostly negative from the gk union. Basically takes out most of the mental game from penalty kicks. Interestingly there’sno corresponding ban on strikers intimidating the gk or prohibiting the stutter step.
Editorial: the pk is so already unbalanced against the gk that removing these mental aspects will make it more decidedly so esp in a pk shoot out. Basically it will more and more come out to luck if the gk correctly is able to guess the direction (yes there’s some skill in determining the direction but it only takes you so far). Given some fouls are for things like inadvertent hand balls it makes the pk even more powerful in these circumstances. A fix would be easy: allow the gk to move on the whistle; if the foul is so egregious like intentional dog so or injury so the gk is sent off, have the foul shot into an empty net (if the gk can’t even intimidate you may as well).
I disagree with not touching the goal post or bar. The rest makes sense. And what is the penalty?

Here is a snip of the actual IFAB document --

1679856169634.png

lotg_changes_23_24_en (theifab.com)

They are also scrubbing out the term "Kicks From the Penalty Mark" -- ok, it was clumsy. But I think it is inappropriate to plug in instead "Penalties (Penalty Shootout)" -- nothing is being penalized.

Blame Martinez

Goalkeepers should be allowed to touch the bar or net. Weird.

The other items mentioned should have always be called a yellow card. If a field player did any of those things, they'd get a yellow or at least a foul. Goal keepers get to use their hands in the box under certain circumstances - that's their superpower, and nothing more. They should not get to taunt players or delay the game without ramifications. Not sure why FIFA was allowing them to do this in the first place since other rules cover it.

The other items mentioned should have always be called a yellow card. If a field player did any of those things, they'd get a yellow or at least a foul. Goal keepers get to use their hands in the box under certain circumstances - that's their superpower, and nothing more. They should not get to taunt players or delay the game without ramifications. Not sure why FIFA was allowing them to do this in the first place since other rules cover it.
As to delay game, the keepers/strikers are taught when their team is ahead/team is down to grab the ball as soon as possible to slow a kickoff/force a quick kickoff. Per the rules, the ball belongs to the team that was just scored against and needs to kick off but you'll sometimes see the strikers try to grab it quickly and put it in the center to hurry things along and the team that was scored against drag their feet. Sometimes you'll even see a scuffle to control the ball as both teams try to execute the directions of their coaches (on the youth level, knowing they'll get reprimanded if they don't do their respective roles). There isn't a specific rule against this type of behavior either in the laws.

As to taunting, in practice from the pro to the rec level, it occurs all the time by players. Yes, the laws are supposed to cover it, but as practical matter refs are urged not to constantly stop the game for every little trifling foul, and in any case can't be everywhere at once. As I've written before, I on more than 1 occasion have witnessed a child being called the "n" word during a soccer game, even kids that aren't African American.

I'm o.k. with the position that such conduct is not acceptable in soccer. But if so, it should be stamped out in all other aspects of the game, which means refs will need to call more often and more than usual. What's "unfair" about this particular rule change is that the striker is not barred the same way the GK, either in conduct or trickery.

It's a reasonable GK preparation for a PK -- how hard do I have to jump to reach the crossbar? Is the ground firm? Etc.

As to delay game, the keepers/strikers are taught when their team is ahead/team is down to grab the ball as soon as possible to slow a kickoff/force a quick kickoff. Per the rules, the ball belongs to the team that was just scored against and needs to kick off but you'll sometimes see the strikers try to grab it quickly and put it in the center to hurry things along and the team that was scored against drag their feet. Sometimes you'll even see a scuffle to control the ball as both teams try to execute the directions of their coaches (on the youth level, knowing they'll get reprimanded if they don't do their respective roles). There isn't a specific rule against this type of behavior either in the laws.

As to taunting, in practice from the pro to the rec level, it occurs all the time by players. Yes, the laws are supposed to cover it, but as practical matter refs are urged not to constantly stop the game for every little trifling foul, and in any case can't be everywhere at once. As I've written before, I on more than 1 occasion have witnessed a child being called the "n" word during a soccer game, even kids that aren't African American.

I'm o.k. with the position that such conduct is not acceptable in soccer. But if so, it should be stamped out in all other aspects of the game, which means refs will need to call more often and more than usual. What's "unfair" about this particular rule change is that the striker is not barred the same way the GK, either in conduct or trickery.
I have a dim memory of a rule against the scoring team running into the goal to fetch the ball. Taunting?

Next shoe to drop might be the banning of the stutter step. It's apparently on the IFAB agenda.

It's much easier to spot these fouls when a goal keeper does it on a PK or any play because the focus is on them at that point. As you pointed out, it doesn't make sense to call it EVERY single time because the game would be slow as molasses. Just because it's not called all the time doesn't mean it shouldn't be called when it's obvious and the center of the play.

They weren't calling the strikers because they were allowing GKs to behave inappropriately. Now that they've decided to enforce the rules, I bet you'll start seeing it being called on strikers too.

Martinez's game actions probably would not have caused new rules if his post game actions didn't incite so much anger.

Next shoe to drop might be the banning of the stutter step. It's apparently on the IFAB agenda.

I have only played keeper once in a game and only because the score was hopeless and our regular got hurt, and if I saw a stutter step, I'm coming off the line right now.

The linked article is an opinion piece that they think the IFAB should look at it, not that they are or will or that's its on an agenda.

Generally, I do think GKs and defenders have taken it to the extreme (in many cases) for PKs, whether the antics of the GK or the defending team arguing and delaying to put off the taker or (most egregious IMV) the players defacing the PK spot. For the last one, I'd give them a straight red. There is zero excuse for it.

The point of an "in game" PK is that the taker has a clear and overwhelming advantage, i.e. its a penalty - its not meant to be fair. Any tilting in favor of the defending team is negating the "penalty" aspect, which would be pretty weird.

For PK shootouts, same for both sides so it literally evens out, so no biggie with the same rules.

The most my daughter does is move back and forth on the line. She tells me now that she is studying the kicker to see if she sees anything that might give her an inkling what direction she is going. The last 3 penalty shots she has faced it actually looks like she has a better idea on how to stop them. Still doesn't mean she saved them but at least her head seems to be in the game and something she can use going forward to college. Been a few years since she had a PK shootout.

Banging the crossbar has been part of DS’ PK ritual for a while. He will have to find a new shtick.

The prohibition on hitting the crossbar or posts or tugging the nets was not added in this latest rule change. They moved where it is located in the rules, but it wasn't new. It is designed to ensure the goalposts, crossbar, and net are stationary before a PK is taken in the same way that the ball must be stationary before the kick is taken. In most leagues, the rule is written so that the ref simply refrains from blowing the whistle until the GK stops touching any of those things and any movement ceases.

There was something equally concerning to me in the World Cup final, but it did not involve Martinez, but Hugo Loris.

This goes to show you how much goalkeeping has changed over the decades since I stopped playing after the 1980's.

We were taught that when you extend your hands strait up to collect a ball over your head, you are suppose to lift up one knee to mitigate any collision that might take place between a goalkeepers opponent or team mate.

According to the rules, this was interpreted as a defensive posture for goalkeepers, and the referee would not call a foul on the goalkeeper even if there was an impactfull collision with the opponent.

So why didn't Hugo Loris lift up one knee when he got injured trying to collect that ball over his head?

It was fortunate that Hugo Loris did not have to leave the game.

Are goalkeepers even allowed to lift their knee in these situations these days?

There was something equally concerning to me in the World Cup final, but it did not involve Martinez, but Hugo Loris.

This goes to show you how much goalkeeping has changed over the decades since I stopped playing after the 1980's.

We were taught that when you extend your hands strait up to collect a ball over your head, you are suppose to lift up one knee to mitigate any collision that might take place between a goalkeepers opponent or team mate.

According to the rules, this was interpreted as a defensive posture for goalkeepers, and the referee would not call a foul on the goalkeeper even if there was an impactfull collision with the opponent.

So why didn't Hugo Loris lift up one knee when he got injured trying to collect that ball over his head?

They are. The only time I see a keeper get a card is when he's delaying a goal kick or clearly taking out a striker on a breakaway when there's no contact with the ball.

Technically it depends on how they lift the knee. In 2018 there was an article in I think it was world soccer by Gardner complaining about goalkeepers using knees as battering rams. Since them, the refs in the leagues have been calling it a bit more tightly...you aren't allowed to use it as an offensive weapon. The raising a knee to defend yourself has also always been more of a pretext....it's more about balance (which has side benefits of helping keep you from harm) and turning you in the proper direction to catch the ball while defending the goal.

In the case of Loris, however, he has a history of being weak on collecting high balls and has come under criticism for it. In the play in question he hesitated in coming out, took a stutter step instead of running for the ball (making raising a knee or getting any height impossible), and made a weak play for the ball.

Back