Neighbors Sue City of San Diego over Surf Cup overusage

I attended a few "Best of the Best". `
Best tournament in the country. Teams came from NY. Do you have a "best of the best" time Dom? My dd won two "Best of the Best" Surf Cups and it's till one of her great joys of playing youth soccer.

#40.jpg

My son hit the winning PK in the semi to advance to the Final where we eventually lost 0-1

Our youngest had a great run at Surf & Manchester Cup.

Game winner 1-0 in the finals first year in u-little. Finals when he was older went to 11pks where our keeper made his and blocked the next shot for the win.

Manchester city cup the first year for the win and best 11 selection where he played defense for 1st time due to injury by center back during opening game.

Our Other 2 players played surf but never made out of group stages, close but no cigar but tell you what they still had a good time. Used to be a carnival and other stuff going on.

Son still has a surf jacket that fits, good thing he went for adult large instead of his actual small size at the time.

Surf must care about their fields, or something else is happening. Got word that this weekend's Rebels Cup Sunday games may be impacted because Surf is worried the fields got overused at last weekend's Man City tourney

Surf must care about their fields, or something else is happening. Got word that this weekend's Rebels Cup Sunday games may be impacted because Surf is worried the fields got overused at last weekend's Man City tourney

Didn't Surf do the same thing at the Rebel's Showcase last year causing them to move to Galloway Downs last minute?

charlie-brown-thanksgiving.gif

They supposedly pumped a few million $ into replacing most of the turf on the front fields. And, yeah, it looked pretty beat up out there by Monday afternoon. It wouldn't be too surprising if they were trying to protect the crown jewel.

Also of interest:
There were fewer restrooms, sinks and trashcans out at the fields compared to years/tournaments past.
They jacked parking to $15 from $12.
Most teams were supposed to shut down starting 6/8 for the summer break, but most have already done so or will today.

The tea leaves suggest they're looking harder at the bottom line than they have in the past.

They supposedly pumped a few million $ into replacing most of the turf on the front fields. And, yeah, it looked pretty beat up out there by Monday afternoon. It wouldn't be too surprising if they were trying to protect the crown jewel.

Also of interest:
There were fewer restrooms, sinks and trashcans out at the fields compared to years/tournaments past.
They jacked parking to $15 from $12.
Most teams were supposed to shut down starting 6/8 for the summer break, but most have already done so or will today.

The tea leaves suggest they're looking harder at the bottom line than they have in the past.

What do you mean by most teams were supposed to shut down? Clubs practice all summer with 3-4 tournaments they play in. They might take a week or two off after end of last season, but for some, the last season is still going!

What do you mean by most teams were supposed to shut down? Clubs practice all summer with 3-4 tournaments they play in. They might take a week or two off after end of last season, but for some, the last season is still going!

The 50+ teams in the younger ages get shut down around the time the fair runs, which this year is Jun 7 - Jul 4. That happened a week earlier than expected, with minimal notice.

When we drive down to Del Mar Soccer events we pass through Rancho Santa Fe- they dislike anyone with a net worth less than <= $10 million;-))
100%. True story: My wife has a friend that was married (now divorced) to a snob like that. Dude wouldn't even talk with me because we lived in Temecula and I drove a VW. One day at a another house party in Rancho Sante Fe we were invited to, dude finally opened his pie hole because the owner of that house was richer then him but both were over the $10M class. They became besties and did hot tubs together I hear. These types stick together like no other and look down on poor folks. Today, both are divorced, go figure.....

Last edited:
100%. True story: My wife has a friend that was married (now divorced) to a snob like that. Dude wouldn't even talk with me because we lived in Temecula and I drove a VW. One day at a another house party in Rancho Sante Fe we were invited to, dude finally opened his pie hole because the owner of that house was richer then him but both were over the $10M class. They became besties and did hot tubs together I hear. These types stick together like no other and look down on poor folks. Today, both are divorced, go figure.....
I think I know those guys ;-)

I always find it funny when rich snobs meet super rich snobs. For those that dont know once you've made enough money to never work again making any more money becomes a game. Some people are happy/content living small while others like to live as big as possible + view anyone with more money than them as a threat.

I grew up around bigger money than RSF + find some of the people there just silly. The most messed up kids I've ever seen went to super elite boarding schools.

Personally I think life would be boring living behind Country Club walls. Sports are a fun equalizer. At the highest levels you need to be talented, money pays talent + no longer opens doors for untalented.

Reguarding the Polo Fields unfortunately for Surf RSF is infested with rich NIMBYS with all the time in the world to bitch and moan. Eventually they're going to get their way. Or they'll just slowly bleed Surf dry in the courts.

I think I know those guys ;-)

I always find it funny when rich snobs meet super rich snobs. For those that dont know once you've made enough money to never work again making any more money becomes a game. Some people are happy/content living small while others like to live as big as possible + view anyone with more money than them as a threat.

I grew up around bigger money than RSF + find some of the people there just silly. The most messed up kids I've ever seen went to super elite boarding schools.

Personally I think life would be boring living behind Country Club walls. Sports are a fun equalizer. At the highest levels you need to be talented, money pays talent + no longer opens doors for untalented.

Reguarding the Polo Fields unfortunately for Surf RSF is infested with rich NIMBYS with all the time in the world to bitch and moan. Eventually they're going to get their way. Or they'll just slowly bleed Surf dry in the courts.
I hear you but for some reason the snobs up in RSF are rude, stuck up and don't think their sh*t stinks and they look down on others. I grew up with wealth everywhere in Laguna bro and no one I knew were snobs like the one's in that area. They ride their bikes on that main road like they own the road as well. Anyway, just wait until we learn more about the snobs in elite club soccer. I met another snob up in the hills of Orange. Dude was VP of Sales for Roadrunner. His backyard was more expensive then my house in Placentia. My wife was good friends with his wife because our kids were 3 years old and they met at the library. He was so stuck up Carlsbad. He ended up cheating on her and she was crushed. They got divorced and she got a nice cash payout. These guys are dumb and give away half their wealth all the time. They always try and impress me with their money and I just laugh at them.

I have to say I have a certain sympathy for the "rich NIMBYS" in this instance. Based on this thread, this really proliferated from 2015/16 to the extent that its now 25 weekends of the year. I know from going to Surf that traffic can be an absolute shit show getting in and out, and I can't imagine what it would be like to be a long term home owner and having to deal with that for half the weekends of the year.

I'm absolutely certain that if someone decided to do the same where I've happily lived for a long time and basically told me to suck it up, I'd be pretty pissed, and if I had their $$$, I'd be doing the same as them. TBH, I don't doubt that most on this thread would probably be the same!!

I have to say I have a certain sympathy for the "rich NIMBYS" in this instance. Based on this thread, this really proliferated from 2015/16 to the extent that its now 25 weekends of the year. I know from going to Surf that traffic can be an absolute shit show getting in and out, and I can't imagine what it would be like to be a long term home owner and having to deal with that for half the weekends of the year.

I'm absolutely certain that if someone decided to do the same where I've happily lived for a long time and basically told me to suck it up, I'd be pretty pissed, and if I had their $$$, I'd be doing the same as them. TBH, I don't doubt that most on this thread would probably be the same!!

The traffic in and out this weekend and last weekend was there, but it wasn't armageddon. A few extra minutes, and if you planned for it, you were fine. People need to chill out

The traffic in and out this weekend and last weekend was there, but it wasn't armageddon. A few extra minutes, and if you planned for it, you were fine. People need to chill out
The biggest traffic jam on Man City weekend was the slow speed police pursuit of what looked like a flower delivery van being followed by 15 patrol cars and the SDPD helicopter. Went right past the soccer fields twice when the driver decided to turn around on Via de la Valle at the Polo Fields entrance and head back to the freeway. Girls on some the fields stopped the action to watch. Was told the police stopped the van with a spike strip before reaching the freeway. Those 5 minutes were way more exciting than our 1-0 loss.

Back