Motorhomes for practice commuter

Dear TeamDad:

I was being facetious. Nobody should go rent a second place just so their daughter can play on a team. That would be stupid.

But I also think that you are being stupid for even considering the option you describe. You are planning on driving for over an hour to practice and then home again for 4+ years, probably three times per week. Add in the team's home games will have you doing that another 25 days per year. What is it that you expect to get out of this? A college scholarship? It sounds like you will be driving 400 miles per week for practice and games, plus buying an RV. By my reckoning, the gas for your RV will cost about $4,000 per year (assuming 50 weeks and 400 mi/wk at 25 mi/gal). Then there is the cost of purchasing the RV and the upkeep, which will probably be about $10,000 dollars per year if financed. All in, I see you paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $50,000-$60,000 over a 4-year period. Don't you realize that $60,000 pays for over 4 years of tuition and fees at any UC or CSU school in California? Jeez, you must be the stupidest man in America if you believe that you will ever recoup the time and money spent chasing this scholarship.

Do you really think that all of those hours in the car will help your daughter excel in her academics? Her social relationships? Other outside activities? I think you are out of your mind.

If you want your daughter to play high-level soccer, then there are ways of doing it that cost a fraction of what you are considering. Find a good team which is more local. Play up a year or two. If you have a daughter, play with boys. If you have to travel to find a team, look for one where you only have to practice once per week.

In summary, don't be the guy who spent his daughter's college fund on gas and an RV.

Thank you for the info and perspective. I agree with you on many of these points. There's just a lot more to our story which is why we're making the decision. My apologies for not catching onto the sarcasm. Everyone's scenario is different. I would stay local if that was an option but at this snap shot in time its not.

Back