Motorhomes for practice commuter

TeamDadJokes

SILVER ELITE
So I’m taking the plunge and looking to do the inevitable commute to Orange County from the IE and thinking about my kids homework. We’d leave right when school is out to beat the traffic and they’d do their homework on the drive to and from or just even have a place to change, shower or lounge after school / practice or between games.. I was thinking of getting a motorhome (something on the smaller side like a 22ft).

For those of you who commute more than an hour away, do you think this is more novelty or practical? Side note, we may be setting up a carpool with a few other kids so I was also taking those kids in consideration thinking about how this will go over the next 4+ years.

I’m looking at something used and cheap like from Facebook or estate sales, at least for now. I’ve never had a motorhome but I have motorhome parking at the side of my house that’s not being utilized so I wouldn’t have to pay for that.

Also not sure if it’s also practical traveling across states with it since we’ll start playing in the NL/RL in the upcoming months.

So I’m taking the plunge and looking to do the inevitable commute to Orange County from the IE and thinking about my kids homework. We’d leave right when school is out to beat the traffic and they’d do their homework on the drive to and from or just even have a place to change, shower or lounge after school / practice or between games.. I was thinking of getting a motorhome (something on the smaller side like a 22ft).

For those of you who commute more than an hour away, do you think this is more novelty or practical? Side note, we may be setting up a carpool with a few other kids so I was also taking those kids in consideration thinking about how this will go over the next 4+ years.

I’m looking at something used and cheap like from Facebook or estate sales, at least for now. I’ve never had a motorhome but I have motorhome parking at the side of my house that’s not being utilized so I wouldn’t have to pay for that.

Also not sure if it’s also practical traveling across states with it since we’ll start playing in the NL/RL in the upcoming months.
I love this idea and knowing what I know today, I would 100% get that motor home. Gas is going higher so it will cost you extra $$$$ in gas. I did the Temecula to Chino one year, then drove to OC for two years and then Del Mar for two years. Not sure I would let you take my dd in the motor home but it sounds amazing for you and your family :)

I thought long and hard about the same issue and ultimately decided that a used cheap RV was a bad idea for me. Keep in mind, that ALL RV’s are high priced poorly made junk so I hope you are comfortable with tools and fixing things. Buying something used and cheap is probably going to be a headache with issues ranging from bad rivets to leaking roofs.

However, I did decide to get a light weight fiberglass trailer; no leaks or rivets on my trailer. I get about 15 mpg @ 65 mph. I already had a SUV so no need to buy a new tow vehicle. There are a few popular manufacturers of fiberglass trailers such as Scamp, Bigfoot, and Escape. I got the Escape.

If you have the time and multiple drivers, you could definitely travel across states. I’ve done several National/State parks, Cabo, & Alaska. I think the logistics of travel time, school, and club soccer will be difficult or close to impossible if your kid isn’t home schooled.

I thought long and hard about the same issue and ultimately decided that a used cheap RV was a bad idea for me. Keep in mind, that ALL RV’s are high priced poorly made junk so I hope you are comfortable with tools and fixing things. Buying something used and cheap is probably going to be a headache with issues ranging from bad rivets to leaking roofs.

However, I did decide to get a light weight fiberglass trailer; no leaks or rivets on my trailer. I get about 15 mpg @ 65 mph. I already had a SUV so no need to buy a new tow vehicle. There are a few popular manufacturers of fiberglass trailers such as Scamp, Bigfoot, and Escape. I got the Escape.

If you have the time and multiple drivers, you could definitely travel across states. I’ve done several National/State parks, Cabo, & Alaska. I think the logistics of travel time, school, and club soccer will be difficult or close to impossible if your kid isn’t home schooled.
First off, hi Dre :) Second and not the last point, home school programs are everywhere now. Third and last point of the RV/Trailer idea, I don;t think "all" is fair about all RVs being cheap. I like "most" RVs and Trailers are made on the cheap. I have a 32 ft Cruise lite and let me tell you the TRUTH. The original owners thought similar to you and they did something about it. They took it a part from the inside and reformed the interior and made the kitchen outside. I will add pics later today if that helps give you a true visual. Great Park RV is where she is parked when i don't use her. Her name is Aurora by the way. By the way, if anyone is looking for a cheap place to stay, I do Trailer Park Air b n b when I don't use my Trailer. It's parked across the street from Great Park. I will give 10% off to anyone who mentions my avatar name, "Crush" or "Socal Soccer Forum."

I am in the process of buying a trailer to use and airbnb.
First off, hi Dre :) Second and not the last point, home school programs are everywhere now. Third and last point of the RV/Trailer idea, I don;t think "all" is fair about all RVs being cheap. I like "most" RVs and Trailers are made on the cheap. I have a 32 ft Cruise lite and let me tell you the TRUTH. The original owners thought similar to you and they did something about it. They took it a part from the inside and reformed the interior and made the kitchen outside. I will add pics later today if that helps give you a true visual. Great Park RV is where she is parked when i don't use her. Her name is Aurora by the way. By the way, if anyone is looking for a cheap place to stay, I do Trailer Park Air b n b when I don't use my Trailer. It's parked across the street from Great Park. I will give 10% off to anyone who mentions my avatar name, "Crush" or "Socal Soccer Forum."

I missed the reason why you are commuting over an hour for soccer practice.

I am in the process of buying a trailer to use and airbnb.
I know a very nice lady who has 2 acres out in Joshua Tree that turn her place into a Trailer Park air b nb. Some company put airstreams as hotels out there as well. Getting outside to see nature is huge and very important to one's soul. Hiking and walking by rivers and lakes makes the soul at peace. Kids playing "Call of Duty" and "Mind Craft" 24/7 is not healthy. My Trailer is fully loaded Dom. Me and the wife are going part time off the grid and part time helping her parents. This is our 12 month plan after my dd leaves the country in August. I have a business partner type pal who is loaded with cash and were both looking at some land up in Shasta. I will manage the place and he can will own it. I did need to own anything to be happy. Offer a healing center so to speak. All you have to do is drive and the camp will be all set yo when you arrive. No putting up tents are trying to learn how to back up a trailer. We will do it all for you. We are looking at building a private "tiny house" Trailer park. Each location will be custom and private and a theme to it. The trailer parks of yester year suck and way to close to each others business, if you know what I mean :) Many folks bought land in Shasta to build dream house. However, the drought and fires make it impossible to get insurance for your new pad so folks are selling the land for cheap. Shasta Lake is almost dry. f fire comes, you just go get trucks and tow them to safety until fire leaves.

1653840495999.png

It's called AutoCamp, see above. Personally, I would never rent at a place like this. Those things look like they get hot when it's hot out in JT. I would much rather go camping up in Mt. Shasta and have my own private spot, with trees and shade. I would rather be cold then hot. I went to a KOA place and people just walk right on your property to cut through so those are not the best. Plus, I noticed that some people live full time at these camp sites. Trees, lakes ((if their not dry)), rivers, snow and smores is so much fun and what each family needs. If you build it, they will come. I want to give back because Shasta and other mountain areas have helped my soul. I can provide some great healing entertainment for everyone who needs a break from the hustle & bustle, the grind to keep up with the others and pay your fair share of rent/mortgage/gas/ect to live in South OC and pressure to be successful in SoCal & NoCal. I love both places and I just love California and it's beauty and weather. My pal who moved to TX is now have regrets. Long story but it's really humid, sticky and just unbearble for him. His wife is going nuts and wants to come back. I told him to wait until August. I think he's coming back. We can make this place so much better. I want to say a Special Prayer to our Governor. I 100% want him to feel better. Happy Sunday Socal & NoCal and all you around the country looking for the best way to commute so your dd can be on the right team for her. I remember getting ripped for driving from Temecula to the Ranch two times a week for two years. If we had to do it again, I would have stayed at Caspers Wilderness Park out in the Ortega Mountains, Tues through Thurs. My wife and I would have found a Charter program that would allow the hybrid home school but with two days of school in a class setting if you so choose.

Truly, you have this bass-ackwards. No need to buy an RV. It would be more cost effective - and far less time consuming - to rent a small place near your destination club during the week, and enroll your child in school nearby. Then make occasional weekend commutes back to the IE so your daughter can see her family and friends.
Some school districts demand you live in the district or no entry.

I always wanted to get a Sprinter Van that could fit in a regular sized parking spot. Wish I would have done it, it would have been a great resource at tournaments, beach days, or long trips to league play.

Truly, you have this bass-ackwards. No need to buy an RV. It would be more cost effective - and far less time consuming - to rent a small place near your destination club during the week, and enroll your child in school nearby. Then make occasional weekend commutes back to the IE so your daughter can see her family and friends.

One of our neighbors did something similar. He rented a condo in Orange County for a couple of years so his son could play football for a prestigious private high school up there.

One of our neighbors did something similar. He rented a condo in Orange County for a couple of years so his son could play football for a prestigious private high school up there.
Interesting neighbor. I knew a neighbor that owned a house in South OC and one in IE. He rented his OC house out and his IE house out and lived rent free in San Diego :)

I don’t get why it would make more sense to rent a place for $2-$3k+ a month for my kid to play soccer and move away from our family and friends here in the IE and the hospital I work at (with shift times varying anywhere from 9am one day and 11pm another with start times going all inbetween those hours) instead of getting an RV where it may cost me $10-$30k for a used one? And I get to use it for little vacations without uprooting the entire family from their community here. From a ROI point of view I’m wasting my money renting a place not to mention the cost benefit would be in favor of a motorhome after 3-10 months.

My question was about being practical. Moving to OC isn’t practical when my wife and I both work out here and this is where our support network for real life is. Especially when the salary in my area is 10%-25% more than what I would get paid in the OC and my cost of living is cheaper with my kid being in one of the best school districts in SoCal.

So I ask again, thinking about the next 4-6 years, is it worth it for the above concerns of having somewhere for my kid to be comfortable, rest, homework, and etc? I’ve never owned a motorhome so I’m curious if anyone else had done that because I’m sure I’m not the first person to think of it.

Dear TeamDad:

I was being facetious. Nobody should go rent a second place just so their daughter can play on a team. That would be stupid.

But I also think that you are being stupid for even considering the option you describe. You are planning on driving for over an hour to practice and then home again for 4+ years, probably three times per week. Add in the team's home games will have you doing that another 25 days per year. What is it that you expect to get out of this? A college scholarship? It sounds like you will be driving 400 miles per week for practice and games, plus buying an RV. By my reckoning, the gas for your RV will cost about $4,000 per year (assuming 50 weeks and 400 mi/wk at 25 mi/gal). Then there is the cost of purchasing the RV and the upkeep, which will probably be about $10,000 dollars per year if financed. All in, I see you paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $50,000-$60,000 over a 4-year period. Don't you realize that $60,000 pays for over 4 years of tuition and fees at any UC or CSU school in California? Jeez, you must be the stupidest man in America if you believe that you will ever recoup the time and money spent chasing this scholarship.

Do you really think that all of those hours in the car will help your daughter excel in her academics? Her social relationships? Other outside activities? I think you are out of your mind.

If you want your daughter to play high-level soccer, then there are ways of doing it that cost a fraction of what you are considering. Find a good team which is more local. Play up a year or two. If you have a daughter, play with boys. If you have to travel to find a team, look for one where you only have to practice once per week.

In summary, don't be the guy who spent his daughter's college fund on gas and an RV.
TRUTH speak for once....lol!! I am going to ReTRUTH this. I drove to OC for a coach for two years, not to win or get a college deal and people like you called me stupid and also said I was out of my mind and taking meds. Then men started to make fun of my righting skiz and then some men really went low and so much more. Easy on this dad is my point. He's just asking a few questions. Maybe the dude is loaded and money is no issue? Woulda coulda shoulda is easy today after 11 years. Yes, I would 100% stay local but that's not what his questions are about. I love the idea by the way and who cares about money anyways.

Dear TeamDad:

I was being facetious. Nobody should go rent a second place just so their daughter can play on a team. That would be stupid.

But I also think that you are being stupid for even considering the option you describe. You are planning on driving for over an hour to practice and then home again for 4+ years, probably three times per week. Add in the team's home games will have you doing that another 25 days per year. What is it that you expect to get out of this? A college scholarship? It sounds like you will be driving 400 miles per week for practice and games, plus buying an RV. By my reckoning, the gas for your RV will cost about $4,000 per year (assuming 50 weeks and 400 mi/wk at 25 mi/gal). Then there is the cost of purchasing the RV and the upkeep, which will probably be about $10,000 dollars per year if financed. All in, I see you paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $50,000-$60,000 over a 4-year period. Don't you realize that $60,000 pays for over 4 years of tuition and fees at any UC or CSU school in California? Jeez, you must be the stupidest man in America if you believe that you will ever recoup the time and money spent chasing this scholarship.

Do you really think that all of those hours in the car will help your daughter excel in her academics? Her social relationships? Other outside activities? I think you are out of your mind.

If you want your daughter to play high-level soccer, then there are ways of doing it that cost a fraction of what you are considering. Find a good team which is more local. Play up a year or two. If you have a daughter, play with boys. If you have to travel to find a team, look for one where you only have to practice once per week.

In summary, don't be the guy who spent his daughter's college fund on gas and an RV.
Good analysis, but I think you have understated/overlooked some of the cons. For example, most RV’s only get around 8 mpg not 25 mpg. Safety is also an issue in most cases because RV’s don’t have to adhere to the same crash safety standards as automobiles-in many cases commuting with kids in an RV carry the same or similar risk as renting a U-Haul and throwing the kids in the back for the commute. And the commute will take more time because RV’s have a 55 mph speed limit.

I don’t get why it would make more sense to rent a place for $2-$3k+ a month for my kid to play soccer and move away from our family and friends here in the IE and the hospital I work at (with shift times varying anywhere from 9am one day and 11pm another with start times going all inbetween those hours) instead of getting an RV where it may cost me $10-$30k for a used one? And I get to use it for little vacations without uprooting the entire family from their community here. From a ROI point of view I’m wasting my money renting a place not to mention the cost benefit would be in favor of a motorhome after 3-10 months.

My question was about being practical. Moving to OC isn’t practical when my wife and I both work out here and this is where our support network for real life is. Especially when the salary in my area is 10%-25% more than what I would get paid in the OC and my cost of living is cheaper with my kid being in one of the best school districts in SoCal.

So I ask again, thinking about the next 4-6 years, is it worth it for the above concerns of having somewhere for my kid to be comfortable, rest, homework, and etc? I’ve never owned a motorhome so I’m curious if anyone else had done that because I’m sure I’m not the first person to think of it.
For tax purposes if your rv/travel trailer has a bathroom, kitchen and sleeping quarters inside, it can qualify as a vacation or rental property! Depending on the strategy you decide to utilize, you can recoup most of your investment. Just a thought, hope that helps.

Good analysis, but I think you have understated/overlooked some of the cons. For example, most RV’s only get around 8 mpg not 25 mpg. Safety is also an issue in most cases because RV’s don’t have to adhere to the same crash safety standards as automobiles-in many cases commuting with kids in an RV carry the same or similar risk as renting a U-Haul and throwing the kids in the back for the commute. And the commute will take more time because RV’s have a 55 mph speed limit.
Wrong and wrong again. How many times have you gone RVing Dre? Some get 8 mpg yes, but those are houses on wheels. 25 ft RV can get 18-25 MPG bro, trust me. The Pros far out way your Cons. I can name so many Pros bro. Let me think of all the Pros and then come back and list.

1654008005767.png

Plus, I drove to North Carolina to pick up my trailer last year so I have experience. I could sell it right now for $8K more then I paid. The resell value is a Pro. No more high hotel cost is another Pro. Team Dad is going ECNL and "some" clubs enforces the "Stay, Pay and then Play" hotel rules that some clubs enforce. I will say Team Dad who jokes around will have to clear that with The Boss. God Father made deals with the Hotels to receive a "kickback" for all the ass kissing that goes on.....lol. The right idea RV is the right idea for all the right reasons.

Back