Matt Crocker ussf sporting director

lafalafa

PREMIER
FEDERATION NEWS

CHICAGO (April 25, 2023) – The U.S. Soccer Federation has appointed Matt Crocker as the next Sporting Director. The former English Football Association Head of Development Teams and Southampton Director of Football Operations brings more than 25 years of experience in player development and coaching with proven success at the club, youth, and senior international levels.

As Sporting Director, Crocker will oversee U.S. Soccer’s entire Sporting Department, focusing on the Men’s and Women’s National Team programs, Youth National Teams, and the Extended National Teams. Crocker will be responsible for setting U.S. Soccer’s sporting vision, overseeing the performance of all national teams, implementing the technical development plan, developing sporting culture, philosophy, ensuring greater communication, and sharing of best practices.

So what's your thoughts on this ussf choice for director?

"We asked Crocker for his account of how the English youth program has improved and also provide advice for coaches and parents of young players.

SOCCER AMERICA: How do you explain the recent success of England’s youth national teams?

MATT CROCKER:
I think it’s a combination of a four-year project, a real clear vision about us wanting to be successful at the top senior level, targeting 2022 and podium finishes thereafter in terms of World Cups.

Working back, in 2012, 2013, when we first started this program, we built a clear strategy, put processes in place, put specific measurable targets for all of our teams, and created an aligned pathway from our youngest age group, under-15, through the senior team.

We’ve now got consistency in our environment both on and off the grass in terms of our coaching program, our system and style of play, how we’re recruiting, and what types of players we’re looking for to play in the various positions.

It’s not a fluke by any stretch of the imagination. We worked really, really hard in terms of getting consistency across all of our age groups. It’s a combination of getting buy-in from our staff, and also the players, and massively supported by the clubs, who helped us in terms providing the players to be successful in these tournaments.

SA: Was a change in playing style part of it?

MATT CROCKER:
I wouldn’t say a change in playing style. Obviously, we have our DNA [Love the ball, love the game: Age-phase priorities] and our “in and out of possession” principles of what we want our teams to look like and the way we want to set ourselves out.

However, I just think it’s more to do with consistency and also focus. The focus was on us and what we were going to do, what we needed to do to win the game rather than be worried or scared of the opposition.

Obviously, we have to be aware of the tactical systems and key players of the opposition, but it’s more about us imposing our style on the opposition rather than us being fearful and potentially change the way we would like to play based on the opposition.

We have to be mindful, but it is more about setting the game plan about what we needed to do to win and sticking to our playing style philosophy in DNA.

Is it just possible, maybe, to select someone other than a Brit to run US Soccer? There are no other skillful experts that could be qualified?

Is it just possible, maybe, to select someone other than a Brit to run US Soccer? There are no other skillful experts that could be qualified?

Yeah that's been a consistent ask from many so a fair question.

Best qualified regardless of nationality is the ussf rebuttal on SM.

Waiting for the hat to drop on the us national team coach...outsider + odds

P.S. The world is watching 43. I do wish Matt the best and I hope he can help the youth in our sport. I'm not sure if they do pay for play in England but that would be my #1 advice to him, if he dared ask me what the issues are with our youth game. Daddy Bucks is not easy to compete with when you have no bucks to play with. The daddy that get's on the BODs and running big programs so dd can get what they want sucks as well. We have, The Haves (lot's of $$$ and access) and The Have Nots (no $$$$ or access) type of parents in the youth game and we need that game out of here. Go USA!!!!

Last edited:
Considering who US Soccer has hired he may be the most credentialed. And won’t be on the Reyna’s phone list because that call will never be taken.

Wow, another interim for the pervious interim manager. Not really confidence inspiring with this appointment from the fans.

The feedback so far has been mixed at best with many asking who's BJ Callaghan ? and why did the USA appoint James Corden's Doppelganger :D

Tuff spot for Matt Crocker to fill but lets hope he finds somebody who has a world class track record and not just the same recycled coaches will lower experience just in MLS and/or the college game.

Back