Latest report on MLS expansion to San Diego

I assume SD will have to do the same. Austin picked up a number of kids from SD. Austin was pretty aggressive recruiting kids.
Looks like plans for Right to Dream (owned by Mansour) to open an Academy in SD which may or may not satisfy this condition.

Just a point of information -- the Sycuan Tribe already owns the 20-acre (more or less) plot of flat land across the road from Dehesa Elementary just west of the original Reservation boundaries. I say "original" because they have been able to expand throughout the Dehesa/Harbison Canyon neighborhood (by a policy of buying up everything that becomes available), the Sycuan Market and gas station (best prices in the East County) just up the road, and several other lots that have been converted to homes for tribe members.

Last edited:
Wonder if any current SD MLS Next Teams get assimilated or if they create their own through their Academy
I can't find the article I read on my phone, but it's going to be a "Right to Dream" academy with a full boarding school: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_Dream_Academy and they've committed to using as many of their home grown players as possible in the full MLS side. Also because they're so close to the border, there will be no issues with importing Mexican talent. Will be very interesting if they follow through with this and bring Ghanaian and Egyptian talent to SD as well.

Edit: Posted this before I saw the link above which is, in fact, the article I read.

I can't find the article I read on my phone, but it's going to be a "Right to Dream" academy with a full boarding school: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_Dream_Academy and they've committed to using as many of their home grown players as possible in the full MLS side. Also because they're so close to the border, there will be no issues with importing Mexican talent. Will be very interesting if they follow through with this and bring Ghanaian and Egyptian talent to SD as well.

Edit: Posted this before I saw the link above which is, in fact, the article I read.
The issue with Mexican talent is the caps arising from US immigration. The MLS also has a foreign born players cap...Egypt and Ghana are certainly not exempt from the cap but I don't know if Mexico is or isn't like Canada? Mexican students staying at a residential academy without their parents across the border is also tricky though not insurmountable. Finally Xolos and Liga MX would likely want to have a word.

500 Million expansion fee , 100M for a training facility , damn

that Athletic article says Tom Penn will be CEO. He helped construct LAFC . I’d expect a team that will compete immediately

“I think if you do the right thing by every kid, then the commercial opportunity that creates is the best players naturally want to come to you, because you don’t get judged by the outcome of the best player. You’re judged by the outcome of the weakest player. The next players are looking at what happened to the weakest players in the system, and they’re all doing phenomenal things with their lives.”

I hope they hold true this this value and take care of the ones that "don't make it". Your life journey shouldn't end at being cut from a team at 16 years old... 16 should be a start of a fulfilling life in front of them even if it's not their initial dream of debuting for the senior team...

I remember reading an article about academy kids being cut in England and the varied outcomes of how they dealt with that... many didn't end up well, though there were some success stories. I'd reckon having good family/mentor guidance helps young kids pivot to something else if needed and lead a productive life but some didn't take the setback well and spiraled into gambling, drugs, depression...

500 Million expansion fee , 100M for a training facility , damn

that Athletic article says Tom Penn will be CEO. He helped construct LAFC . I’d expect a team that will compete immediately

Expansion fee is crazy... Didn't Foley buy Bournemouth for like $150m or something? And it's in the EPL!

No disrespect to MLS and SD is a gorgeous city to own a sports team but... I'd rather own an EPL team for a much smaller sum...

Expansion fee is crazy... Didn't Foley buy Bournemouth for like $150m or something? And it's in the EPL!

No disrespect to MLS and SD is a gorgeous city to own a sports team but... I'd rather own an EPL team for a much smaller sum...
The mls is just a modified pyramid scheme with a shared media revenue stream built in. It’s why they’ll have to be dragged kicking and screaming into pro rel (if ever) because it will send the entire thing crashing down. As they get into ever smaller media markets and each new addition brings in a smaller piece of the pie, it will be harder and harder to maintain the pyramid and it’s not like larger markets like ny and la can support 3 teams. Hence the large fees.shame…would sincerely love to see the galaxy relegated…they so deserve it.

The mls is just a modified pyramid scheme with a shared media revenue stream built in. It’s why they’ll have to be dragged kicking and screaming into pro rel (if ever) because it will send the entire thing crashing down. As they get into ever smaller media markets and each new addition brings in a smaller piece of the pie, it will be harder and harder to maintain the pyramid and it’s not like larger markets like ny and la can support 3 teams. Hence the large fees.shame…would sincerely love to see the galaxy relegated…they so deserve it.
Any insight on where the $500 million expansion fee will go?

Any insight on where the $500 million expansion fee will go?
According to a 2019 article on the rising fees for the mls in “the 18”, it’s treated as revenue. All of it goes into the shared pot which the franchises which are losing money use to offset costs. Hence the modified pyramid scheme. When they run out of markets to expand, and as each smaller market brings less and less revenue, you get a crash. Btw this is also the rational for the increasing fee (to make up for the ever smaller revenue the new slices are bringing in) and why they seem to be adding just 1 every year (to spread out earnings over time)

According to a 2019 article on the rising fees for the mls in “the 18”, it’s treated as revenue. All of it goes into the shared pot which the franchises which are losing money use to offset costs. Hence the modified pyramid scheme. When they run out of markets to expand, and as each smaller market brings less and less revenue, you get a crash. Btw this is also the rational for the increasing fee (to make up for the ever smaller revenue the new slices are bringing in) and why they seem to be adding just 1 every year (to spread out earnings over time)
Cash Call to stay open?

It’s why they’ll have to be dragged kicking and screaming into pro rel (if ever)

Oh there's no way they'll implement pro/rel in the US.... which is a shame.

I think that's the one thing -- and I get that it's still not perfect as oil money piles into soccer around the world -- that makes soccer beautiful...

Oh there's no way they'll implement pro/rel in the US.... which is a shame.

I think that's the one thing -- and I get that it's still not perfect as oil money piles into soccer around the world -- that makes soccer beautiful...

Maybe pro/rel is how the USL and USL2 compete with/against the MLS for a fan base. I would be much more inclined to support SD Loyal over the MLS team if they were in a promotion/relegation scenario.

Third hand, so take it for what it's worth --

The Sycuan Tribe, who owns a part of the new SD MLS franchise, is going to convert some of their Singing Hills golf course into a residence and training facility for the team and its academy program.

Back